• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Shatter to introduce legislation to extend office term of Garda Commissoner

Sierra

Minister Shatter has announced that he is seeking to extend the term of office of the current Garda Commissoner, Martin Callinan, by a further two years. This is despite the fact that there are current regulations in place for members of the force ensuring compulsory retirement at the age of 60. This announcement has come as a considerable surprise, especially considering the current difficulties An Garda Síochána is facing regarding the Kieran Boylan inquiry.

The former Garda Assistant Commissioner, Martin Donnellan, took a case which he lost against the Department of Justice two years ago in regards the compulsory retirement age of 60. At the time the Department outlined that it was of absolute necessity to have the compulsory retirement age for operational reasons. Is this no longer the case then? One wonders why Shatter wants to keep the Commissioner in place - such action has never been undertaken in the past to the best of my knowledge.

The Department of Justice has issued a PR in regards the matter.

Minister Shatter announces extension of term of office of Garda Commissioner

The Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Alan Shatter TD, today announced that the Government has approved his proposal for a two year extension of the term of office of the Garda Commissioner, Martin Callinan.

The extension will move Commissioner Callinan’s retirement from August 2013 to August 2015.

Making the announcement, the Minister said "I am very pleased to announce a two year extension of the term of office of the Garda Commissioner, Martin Callinan.

Martin has been Commissioner for just less than two years, but has overseen radical and extensive change to the Garda Síochána. A new Garda roster is currently being piloted, the Garda District and station networks are being reformed and modernised, and a highly effective policing service is being maintained at a time of significant resource constraint. Every aspect of the organisation and operation of the Garda Síochána continues to be examined so as to identify further efficiencies.

At a time of such significant organisational reform, I believe that it is desirable that there should be continuity in Garda leadership, and I am delighted that Martin has agreed to this extension. His leadership over this period, during which there will be further challenges to be met, will be invaluable.

Since his appointment, Central Statistics Office crime statistics have shown reductions in the great majority of crime groups. Specific initiatives have been launched to deal with particular issues of concern: under Operation Fiacla, launched earlier this year by the Commissioner to deal with burglaries, about 2,500 people have been arrested and 1,400 people charged. Week in week out, the activities of gangs have been tackled and this has been reflected in very substantial drugs seizures. The activities of criminal terrorist groups continue to be addressed robustly and cooperation between An Garda Síochána and the Police Service of Northern Ireland has never been better.

I also want to express my appreciation for the vital work that the Garda Síochána, despite all the pressures on resources, continue to do on behalf of the public in the fight against crime. Their contribution is deeply valued by me and the Government."

13 November 2012

ENDS

Note to Editors:

The proposed extension will require a change to the regulations governing Garda retirements, which currently set 60 as the mandatory retirement age for all members. The Minister will return to Cabinet in due course for formal approval of the necessary regulatory change which will technically implement the two year extension for Commissioner Callinan.

Sync

How do you know he's 60 from that?

livingstone

If he's only been Commissioner for two years, it makes sense to keep his expertise for a bit longer rather than have someone else have to bed in to the role and get up to speed.

Also, the compulsory retirement is, presumably, more relevant as a principle for operational gardai who could be on the beat and required to have a degree of physical fitness or agility than a desk officer charged with the management of the force.

Sierra

How do you know he's 60 from that?
What? Shatter is being forced to introduce legislation to ensure that the compulsory retirement requirement does not affect the Commissioner with the extension of his contract. The extension of his contract to 2015 will ensure that he will be over the age threshold.

The proposed extension will require a change to the regulations governing Garda retirements, which currently set 60 as the mandatory retirement age for all members. The Minister will return to Cabinet in due course for formal approval of the necessary regulatory change which will technically implement the two year extension for Commissioner Callinan.
Also, the compulsory retirement is, presumably, more relevant as a principle for operational gardai who could be on the beat and required to have a degree of physical fitness or agility than a desk officer charged with the management of the force.
Not really actually. The Department argued in the Donnellan case that compulsory retirement age was of vital importance to ensure that officers do not clog up senior positions and in the process undermine the operational capabilities of the organisation into the future.

seabhcan

The former Garda Assistant Commissioner, Martin Donnellan, took a case which he lost against the Department of Justice two years ago in regards the compulsory retirement age of 60. At the time the Department outlined that it was of absolute necessity to have the compulsory retirement age for operational reasons. Is this no longer the case then?
That was under the previous gov, no?

Sync

What? Shatter is being forced to introduce legislation to ensure that the compulsory retirement requirement does not affect the Commissioner with the extension of his contract. The extension of his contract to 2015 will ensure that he will be over the age threshold.
Sorry yes you're right. Didn't see that last bit.

One wonders why Shatter wants to keep the Commissioner in place - such action has never been undertaken in the past to the best of my knowledge.
Since his appointment, Central Statistics Office crime statistics have shown reductions in the great majority of crime groups. Specific initiatives have been launched to deal with particular issues of concern: under Operation Fiacla, launched earlier this year by the Commissioner to deal with burglaries, about 2,500 people have been arrested and 1,400 people charged. Week in week out, the activities of gangs have been tackled and this has been reflected in very substantial drugs seizures. The activities of criminal terrorist groups continue to be addressed robustly and cooperation between An Garda Síochána and the Police Service of Northern Ireland has never been better.
Do you think that may be the reason?

I don't care how old the guy is, if he can do the job let him stay on.

lying eyes

Very important decision, definately a priority. Jeez I will sleep soundly to-night, knowing that it is sorted????????????

Sierra

That was under the previous gov, no?
Indeed it was, which is interesting - does the current government wish to remove the compulsory retirement age entirely? Or perhaps increase it for senior positions, or is this just a once off?

Nonetheless it was the Department itself that was strongly defensive of the compulsory retirement age, not the previous Justice Minister. One would assume that it is Shatter steering this move entirely and going against the departments wishes.

Half Nelson

Am I right in saying that Shatter is about to increase the retirement age for all gardai?

Sierra

Am I right in saying that Shatter is about to increase the retirement age for all gardai?
Doesn't seem to be clear yet if that is the case. Would be a very big change for the organisation if that is the case.

Favourable statistics has not saved previous commissioners from having to step down.

RobertW

I don't care how old the guy is, if he can do the job let him stay on.
If this is the case why is legislation drafted for one person?

Shouldn't a competent school cleaner be allowed to keep their job beyond retirement age which, unlike the commissioner, is 65?

What evidence have you got that the Commissioner can do the job as what you've provided here is not evidence?

RobertW

Nonetheless it was the Department itself that was strongly defensive of the compulsory retirement age, not the previous Justice Minister. One would assume that it is Shatter steering this move entirely and going against the departments wishes.
The issue is that the Commissioner doesn't want to retire. Shatter agrees with him. So shatter introduces legislation to facilitate this.

Sierra

The issue is that the Commissioner doesn't want to retire. Shatter agrees with him. So shatter introduces legislation to facilitate this.
Still, a bit of an extraordinary step for Shatter to take. Mutterings are that there were worries that Shatter would not have confidence in another figure being able to implement (or willing to implement) the current reforms, which are all about cutbacks.

Sync

If this is the case why is legislation drafted for one person?

Shouldn't a competent school cleaner be allowed to keep their job beyond retirement age which, unlike the commissioner, is 65?
Yup I think so. The retirement age in this country need to be ramped up. The concept of getting rid of people who can still perform their job because they hit 60 is bizarre. If we need to fix the problem one person at a time then so be it.

What evidence have you got that the Commissioner can do the job as what you've provided here is not evidence?
I didn't say he could do it, that's why the word "if" is in there.

RobertW

Still, a bit of an extraordinary step for Shatter to take. Mutterings are that there were worries that Shatter would not have confidence in another figure being able to implement (or willing to implement) the current reforms, which are all about cutbacks.
The Commissioner is, of course, a public servant on 185k a year. . . . The head of the PSNI gets paid more.

There could be something in your point alright. Shatter may have a puppet in there that he wants to retain.

RobertW

I didn't say he could do it, that's why the word "if" is in there.
Your words referred to the "reason" the commissioner is being retained.

I'm pointing out to you that this is not a reason based on fact.

Crime is getting worse and this should be expected in an era of unprecedented cuts.

culmore

shatter did not appoint this man, it was the last crowd, it will save the state about half million, in the short term, his goldenhand shake and his pension and promoting another man, so the right decision.
The man that took the case to the courts was doing it for greed.

ScreeOrTalus

I don't think a Garda over the age of 60 could operate a Segway PT and use it to approach and chat up teenage girls.

Thady Quill

Callinan should have been sacked as soon as the new government took office and replaced by an officer from another force. He is someone in whom the public can have no confidence.

"The decision by the Garda Commissioner not to co-operate with the Attorney General for Northern Ireland to mount a fresh inquest in to the death of young Co Donegal woman in a road traffic accident has been described by Fine Gael MEP Jim Higgins as “bizarre and illogical.”
http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/08/14/garda-commissioners-decision-not-to-mount-fresh-inquest-into-donegal-womans-death-slammed/

Everything suggests that he does not want to discipline errant officers and will give us again the corrupt, out of control force that Judge Morris warned about.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies