• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Shatters Lunacy

yayo

Some figures released by Shatter today.

-Of the approximately visa 88,000 applications received, 91 per cent were approved.

The top five nationalities that applied for visas were as follows:
India (16 per cent)
Russia (14 per cent)
China (11 per cent)
Nigeria (eight per cent)
Turkey (five per cent)

Where are these people getting jobs?

- Over 25,000 applications for citizenship were decided on in 2012
There were 38 citizenship ceremonies held in 2012.

- There are approximately 31,400 non-EEA students currently registered for study in Ireland. Of these, 38 per cent are in degree courses, 26 per cent in non-degree courses, 28 per cent in language courses and nine per cent in other study, which includes secondary level education.

The 'English language school' racket used by non EU students to circumvent immigration law continues unabated.

- Deportations totalled almost 2,700 in 2011, of which 2,260 were refusals at various ports of entry.

How can one be deported from a country they have yet to enter - there were 440 actual deportations in 2012.

Socratus O' Pericles

Hold on to your helmets troops --Incoming!!!!

Astral Peaks

The lack of an apostrophe in the appropriate place in your thread title has totally changed the meaning of that title.

Clanrickard

Some figures released by Shatter today.

-Of the approximately visa 88,000 applications received, 91 per cent were approved.

The top five nationalities that applied for visas were as follows:
India (16 per cent)
Russia (14 per cent)
China (11 per cent)
Nigeria (eight per cent)
Turkey (five per cent)

Where are these people getting jobs?

- Over 25,000 applications for citizenship were decided on in 2012
There were 38 citizenship ceremonies held in 2012.

- There are approximately 31,400 non-EEA students currently registered for study in Ireland. Of these, 38 per cent are in degree courses, 26 per cent in non-degree courses, 28 per cent in language courses and nine per cent in other study, which includes secondary level education.

The 'English language school' racket used by non EU students to circumvent immigration law continues unabated.

- Deportations totalled almost 2,700 in 2011, of which 2,260 were refusals at various ports of entry.

How can one be deported from a country they have yet to enter - there were 440 actual deportations in 2012.
Most of those receiving citizenship would have been here for at least 5 years most much longer. They would have had jobs since the boom times. A lot of the visa applications relate to jobs that cannot be filled by Irish people or the EEA population resident in Ireland.

White Horse

I.T. and medicine, I'd say.

Too many young Irish men left school and went straight into house building.

Now they are going to emigrating to building sites in other countries while we import skilled professional from abroad.

Crazy, but what other choice is there?

yayo

Most of those receiving citizenship would have been here for at least 5 years most much longer. They would have had jobs since the boom times. A lot of the visa applications relate to jobs that cannot be filled by Irish people or the EEA population resident in Ireland.
Cool,

If I hang out in Kenya for five years - does that make me 'New Kenyan'?

elliebee

Such as ...?

You'll always get a % of the stupid who will believe that to be the case. You've been brainwashed :p

Fritzbox

Cool,

If I hang out in Kenya for five years - does that make me 'New Kenyan'?
Who uses the expression 'new Irish' anyway?

Shqiptar

That's what I was thinking. This is just a knee jerk reaction and Shatter is taking it on the chin because he dreamed up those citizenship ceremonies to make the whole thing look/feel a bit more meaningful.

amsterdemmetje

I have a work colleague of mine from Libya, who received his citizenship last November after 10 years here . Never misses a days work ,never sick,never complains.Give me one good reason why people like him shouldn't be made a citizen or given a visa.

Last edited:

elliebee

I.T. and medicine, I'd say.

Too many young Irish men left school and went straight into house building.

Now they are going to emigrating to building sites in other countries while we import skilled professional from abroad.

Crazy, but what other choice is there?
So immigrants are coming in to fill IT and medicine positions and our own citizens are headhunted from abroad 'cos they're no good How Irish is that then or is it simply jolly old EU neo-liberal balderdash?