Shimon Pires R.I.P.

Clanrickard

Former Israeli president Shimon Peres dies aged 93

A genuine peace maker. A big loss to the region when he lost out as leader of the Labour Party. With him goes a generation of politicians who fled Europe post WW2. One could say a more thoughtful, humble and open generation than some of the politicians of today in Israel.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Did'nt he have a 'road to Damascus' moment...

Levellers

A Pole who thought it was OK to arrive in Palestine and steal the land from those born there. Another war criminal who evaded justice.

ShoutingIsLeadership

It might have been better to send his family a mass card, than to open this thread

former wesleyan

Strawberry

RIP. He went from being a key architect of Israel's nuclear programme to being a key architect of the Oslo peace accords. A remarkable political career.

sic transit

A Pole who thought it was OK to arrive in Palestine and steal the land from those born there. Another war criminal who evaded justice.
I just heard a whooshing sound of all the oxygen leaving the room! I bet you can't look at a happy child and know that it somehow makes you miserable!
I'd invoke the Irish Mammy here :- "If you can't say anything good...."

sic transit

RIP. He went from being a key architect of Israel's nuclear programme to being a key architect of the Oslo peace accords. A remarkable political career.
We're all made up of what is good and what we'd prefer to ignore, He rose above the sum of his parts. More's the pity he didn't have a willing and honest partner on the other side. It is a good thing he is most remembered for.

Strawberry

We're all made up of what is good and what we'd prefer to ignore, He rose above the sum of his parts. More's the pity he didn't have a willing and honest partner on the other side. It is a good thing he is most remembered for.
He was definitely head and shoulders above most other politicians in the region, as was Rabin.

Seanie Lemass

Maybe they should have stayed and been murdered? Or gone back to live under the Jew hating Stalinists?

former wesleyan

Maybe they should have stayed and been murdered? Or gone back to live under the Jew hating Stalinists?
Levellers is a class act isn't he ? :D

All of Peres' relatives who remained in Wiszniew in 1941 were murdered during the Holocaust, many of them (including Rabbi Meltzer) burned alive in the town's synagogue

Strawberry

He was the Prime Minister who authorised the Qana massacre in Lebanon in 1996 when Israel repeatedly shelled a UN compound where 800 Lebanese civilians were sheltering. 106 died as a result.

In 1975 he offered to sell the apartheid regime of South Africa nuclear weapons. And he was sending weapons to Rwanda as the genocide there was under way.

A real man of peace..
Shimon Peres was not Prime Minister of Israel in 1966.

Prime Ministers of Israel from 1948 until the Present

flavirostris

He was not a man of peace, as Noam Chomsky commented on him. He was a relentless coloniser and occupier of land that wasn't his.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies