Shine Song Tricks the World

• Thread starter Deleted member 48908
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48908

Just read this article which states that Howlin's transparency legislation should be the exemplar for the world to follow.

Ireland’s tough lobbying rules spark cries for similar laws elsewhere – POLITICO

In a country like Ireland, where open access to politicians is the norm, and where lobbyists are the exception rather than the rule, does anyone feel that Harry Cooper might be a tad out of touch?

[video=youtube;8y2uIhbzxO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y2uIhbzxO4[/video]

Half Nelson

What about lobbyists/lackeys like Amnesty International working on behalf of foreign monied interests wishing to plant their laws in our country?

Wascurito

Lobbyists shouldn't be ashamed of what they do and shouldn't fear transparency.

Wascurito

What about lobbyists/lackeys like Amnesty International working on behalf of foreign monied interests wishing to plant their laws in our country?
Worraboutdem? Did you read the definition?

"The law uses one of the broadest possible definitions of a lobbyist:
anyone who employs more than 10 individuals, works for an advocacy body, is a professional paid by a client to communicate on someone else’s behalf or is communicating about land development is required to register themselves and the lobbying activities they carry out.
"

D

Deleted member 48908

anyone who employs more than 10 individuals, works for an advocacy body, is a professional paid by a client to communicate on someone else’s behalf or is communicating about land development is required to register themselves and the lobbying activities they carry out.
"
Do you think that the law is actually being followed?...whether in spirit, or to the letter?

Is Cooper correct in his explanation of the law when he says:

The Irish reforms are simple. Any individual, company or NGO that seeks to directly or indirectly influence officials on a policy issue must list themselves on a public register and disclose any lobbying activity. The rules cover any meeting with high-level public officials, as well as letters, emails or tweets intended to influence policy.

Half Nelson

"
Did you?

Amnesty International is lobbying on behalf of its paymaster Soros, but is doing so indirectly by using its influence with the Irish media and certain well-placed officials, to put pressure on Ireland's politicians.

Wascurito

Did you?

Amnesty International is lobbying on behalf of its paymaster Soros, but is doing so indirectly by using its influence with the Irish media and certain well-placed officials, to put pressure on Ireland's politicians.
I'm the one who pasted it. I think it's pretty clear that the legislation applies to them and a wee google search would have revealed this link.
https://www.lobbying.ie/organisation/471/amnesty-international-ireland

I don't know what your question is but I think an email to Amnesty International might be a better way to answer it than a "worrabout" post on a discussion board.

ManUnited

Did you?

Amnesty International is on the lobby register so they are OK.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Given the proven history of corrupt payments to politicians, one of whom was on the national radio station very recently, our lobbying laws really are lipstick on a very fat pig

Half Nelson

I'm the one who pasted it. I think it's pretty clear that the legislation applies to them and a wee google search would have revealed this link.
https://www.lobbying.ie/organisation/471/amnesty-international-ireland

I don't know what your question is but I think an email to Amnesty International might be a better way to answer it than a "worrabout" post on a discussion board.
Bless your innocence.

Amnesty International hides its lobbying under "advocacy" and "education".
It's a so-called "human rights" organisation, yet can't even recognise a human being, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of it giving an honest answer to any question.

You'll find that certain politically-correct bodies will always remain untouched by any Labour-led legislative initiative.

Wascurito

Do you think that the law is actually being followed?...whether in spirit, or to the letter?
Being neither one who lobbies or gets lobbied (I wish), I can only offer the opinion that - like with a lot of legislation - it will take a few years to change an embedded culture. However, the legal tools are in place now to bring to book anyone who tries to do stuff the old, underhand way.

Wascurito

Bless your innocence.

Amnesty International hides its lobbying under "advocacy" and "education".
It's a so-called "human rights" organisation, yet can't even recognise a human being, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of it giving an honest answer to any question.

You'll find that certain politically-correct bodies will always remain untouched by any Labour-led legislative initiative.
Oh, well then, get your derriére down to the local Garda station and REPORT THEM. And if you don't feel like doing that, get on to your nearest malcontented TD and present your evidence.

Bring an umbrella. It's raining. I'll be waiting for you when you get back to ask how you got on.

D

Deleted member 48908

Being neither one who lobbies or gets lobbied (I wish), I can only offer the opinion that - like with a lot of legislation - it will take a few years to change an embedded culture. However, the legal tools are in place now to bring to book anyone who tries to do stuff the old, underhand way.
I see nothing underhanded about a TD's clinic, or a chance meeting in a giant pole and canvas structure at a sporting event.

The law, as explained in the article, requires individuals attending clinics, or those with two pints in their hand, or who might bump into a politician or official at Tesco/the local/a funeral, to register on some sort of lobbyist's registry.

Half Nelson

Oh, well then, get your derriére down to the local Garda station and REPORT THEM. And if you don't feel like doing that, get on to your nearest malcontented TD and present your evidence.

Bring an umbrella. It's raining. I'll be waiting for you when you get back to ask how you got on.
Really? That's all you've got?

Wascurito

I see nothing underhanded about a TD's clinic, or a chance meeting in a giant pole and canvas structure at a sporting event.

The law, as explained in the article, requires individuals attending clinics, or those with two pints in their hand, or who might bump into a politician or official at Tesco/the local/a funeral, to register on some sort of lobbyist's registry.
There might be nothing underhand but then again there might be. Do you think that some lobbying should be exempt?

D

Deleted member 48908

There might be nothing underhand but then again there might be. Do you think that some lobbying should be exempt?
I think that no lobbying should be exempt.

I think that the definition of lobbying in the law is incorrect.

I think that the law is poorly written in the Irish context, and that for anyone who would hold it up as an example for the world to follow is ignorant of the Irish system.

Half Nelson

Amnesty International is on the lobby register so they are OK.
So we now know that the legislation is a waste of ink.
It changes absolutely nothing.

It's the lobbying itself that needs to be tackled.

ManUnited

So we now know that the legislation is a waste of ink.
It changes absolutely nothing.

It's the lobbying itself that needs to be tackled.
You have a problem with groups lobbying the government? Why would that be? It is part of the democratic process.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies