Shocking Eurobarometer polls suggest life in Ireland is pretty peachy

farnaby

https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/almost-8-in-10-irish-people-agree-that-most-things-that-happen-in-life-are-fair-eu-survey_en

It appears that contrary to our witterings on p.ie (and I am guilty) about corruption, inequality, dire health services, job insecurity etc. Irish people are happy, trusting, healthy and think life is fair.

97% of Irish people agreed that they considered themselves to be happy people, highest in the EU
Did they mistake a response of "grand" for "happy"?

A new Eurobarometer poll on Fairness, inequality and inter-generational mobility shows that Irish people are the most likely at 78% to think that most things that happen in their life are fair, highest in the EU

74% of Irish people, highest in Europe, think that compared to 30 years ago opportunities for getting ahead in life have become more equal in their country
So for all the talk of untouchable bankers, cosseted lawyers, unaccountable politicians etc. we exceed the Nordics and Germans in a belief in meritocracy.

75% of Irish people agree that most people in their country can be trusted, 4th highest in the EU after Finland (85%), Denmark (82%) and Sweden (76%)
But don't we have a dominant culture of "it's who you know not what you know" and the quick buck mentality that should undermine general trust? Well yes, but apparently below the EU average:

85% of Irish people agree knowing the right people is essential/ important. People in Portugal were most likely to think this way at 98% while those in Denmark were least at 79%. The EU average was 92%
92% of Irish people agree they are in good health, highest in the EU
Good, but ok this may be more to do with "thank god i'm healthy given the state of the health service".

Having gone through some dark times 09 to 14 I'm probably the happiest i've ever been but i've had some good/lucky breaks and can only imagine how difficult life is for many with illness, high rents, job insecurity, cost of living rises etc. to deal with. So I didn't consider my experience to be generalisable. Are these polls a sign that many of us have emerged from the turmoil of that period?

Uganda

https://ec.europa.eu/ireland/news/almost-8-in-10-irish-people-agree-that-most-things-that-happen-in-life-are-fair-eu-survey_en

It appears that contrary to our witterings on p.ie (and I am guilty) about corruption, inequality, dire health services, job insecurity etc. Irish people are happy, trusting, healthy and think life is fair.

So for all the talk of untouchable bankers, cosseted lawyers, unaccountable politicians etc. we exceed the Nordics and Germans in a belief in meritocracy.

But don't we have a dominant culture of "it's who you know not what you know" and the quick buck mentality that should undermine general trust? Well yes, but apparently below the EU average:

Good, but ok this may be more to do with "thank god i'm healthy given the state of the health service".

Having gone through some dark times 09 to 14 I'm probably the happiest i've ever been but i've had some good/lucky breaks and can only imagine how difficult life is for many with illness, high rents, job insecurity, cost of living rises etc. to deal with. So I didn't consider my experience to be generalisable. Are these polls a sign that many of us have emerged from the turmoil of that period?
Ssssssshhhhh.

Don't tel pbp, shinners social justice Ireland and all the fellow travellers.

Happy? Can't be having that.

Dame_Enda

Euro barometer is funded by the EU.

Spurius P Albus

Yeah . But what about ...............

enuffisenuff

complete load of b0llocks

Prester Jim

Life is pretty good if you have a good job, your health and you bought a house pre-boom or in the brief lull before now that covers a fairly big proportion of us. It is less good for those paying massive rent or who had the misfortune to make a misstep or have bad health etc.
It is not wrong to want to see those people do well too is it? We do have a problem with inequality here and we do have a big minority who have a precarious existence here. This poll doesn't seem to have taken enough notice of them
Not sure why there is a sneering tone from the few posters.

farnaby

Euro barometer is funded by the EU.
Which tells us what? Do you believe some shadowy EUrocentric agenda is skewing the figures, making Europeans out to be happier than they actually are? Or is there schadenfraude afoot in how the bad boy Greeks are portrayed (untrusting, anti-merocratic, fatalistic about their prospects)?

paulp

Life is pretty good if you have a good job, your health and you bought a house pre-boom or in the brief lull before now that covers a fairly big proportion of us. It is less good for those paying massive rent or who had the misfortune to make a misstep or have bad health etc.
It is not wrong to want to see those people do well too is it? We do have a problem with inequality here and we do have a big minority who have a precarious existence here. This poll doesn't seem to have taken enough notice of them
this point is completely anecdotal
I and a number of friends bought houses during the early and mid 00s
On the positive we got trackers
On the negative we over paid
But today, I earn more than I did then, am ~14 years into a 25 year stint, and the mortgage is not the burden it was back then.
This is a relatively common state of affairs, people tend to buy in their late 20s to mid 30s, and tend to reach peak earning in mid 40s.

Totally accept that a lot of people are still under huge pressure, but 'think' that the bulk who bought in mid 00s are probably grand now.

HarshBuzz

We are at the apex of human existence on this planet and things are only getting better. We live extremely comfortable, lengthy, healthy, secure, safe lives.

We should be happy.

NMunsterman

This is one of the main reasons I visit P.ie - an honest, sensible, empathetic, good-spirited post telling it as it is.
If more posters were like this, we'd have a decent Forum.

Thank you (and "Farnaby" too).

Jack O Neill

Ssssssshhhhh.

Don't tel pbp, shinners social justice Ireland and all the fellow travellers.

Happy? Can't be having that.
30%+ of the population still believe in Fianna Fail an even greater number still believe in the Catholic church , asking them if they are happy is bordering on child abuse

PBP voter

The problem is it's only the people who bettered themselves during the last few years that are doing well.

Anybody who lost their job during the recession is laughing now if they upskilled.

Thousands of course places were empty during the recession as many fools thought the recession would go on for ever. :roll:

Now we all have to still pay for the wasters while this money should be going to pensioners,the disabled, education,health,transport etc.

Volatire

Awesome country.

To make it better, we should round up the leftie whingers, tow them across the med to North Africa in rubber boats, and let ISIS deal with them.

Roll_On

I see that the government has finally moved to force the leftists of Dublin City Council to lift the height restrictions that keep so many people poor and in substandard accommodation. That'll make a lot of people, especially the poor, happier.

farnaby

We are at the apex of human existence on this planet and things are only getting better. We live extremely comfortable, lengthy, healthy, secure, safe lives.

We should be happy.
Totally agree. The question these polls raise for me is why Ireland is out in front of fellow first world EU countries. The Germans are at their most economically powerful maybe ever; the Nordics are topping economic and social indices all over the place; and the Beneluxians (?) seem to be getting along nicely. Why aren't they topping these 'softer' lists?

Do we have some beneficial cultural advantages in how we live, interact and perceive ourselves?

Example: Finland has a huge amount going for it but i've noticed people there are misanthropic - a stranger is not to be trusted until he has proven himself - and tend to view interactions as zero sum games (if you're winning i'm losing). Not good for the happiness or trust results.

farnaby

Where are these sort of studies conducted.
The Special Eurobarometer 471 “Fairness, inequality and inter-generational mobility” was conducted through face to face interviews between 2 and 11 December 2017. A total of 28,031 people were interviewed in 28 EU countries.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies