Shopping Cheaper in the South?

Collegebhoy

Twitter
n/a
I just heard this on Highland Radio and Today FM

Can these people be for real, I find it impossible to believe.

Test shows shopping in south cheaper | Irish Examiner

What really surprised me was that it even included drink.

I can pick up a bottle of Smirnoff vodka in any off licence in Derry for £12stg/EUR14.45, some stores two for £20stg/EUR23.76. Is there anywhere in the south you can get two for EUR23.75? Not anywhere near me thats for sure.

A taxi with a Derry firm £13/EUR15.43, with a Donegal firm at least £16.83stg/EUR20.00

The only thing I can think of being cheaper is petrol/diesel, even my coal I buy in Derry.

Coal 50kg £10.00stg/EUR11.88 - in my local shop £13.46stg/EUR16.00.

Is this just a lame attempt to stop the flood to the North for bargains, especially
in the busy run up to Christmas.

I really can't think of anythink being cheaper.

A pint of stout in my local £3.0.3Stg/EUR3.60, in Derry £2.60Stg/EUR3.08,
probably cheaper in some bars.

Don't even get me started on electrical goods, XBox, Playstation, TV, Computers etc.

Really, I have no idea where these people pulled these figures from. Incredulous. I would hate to think how much people would be losing out when times are hard enough if they believed this kind of C**p.

Anybody got any examples of anything actually being cheaper - I can't think of anything I would put in my weekly shop/groceries?

bobbysands81

Surely fod and drink items are much more cheap over the border?

However, I remember pricing TVs a year or so ago and there was no real difference in prices, in fact I think Powercity or DID were slightly cheaper than anywhere else.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
What's the source? Probably Donegal Chamber of Commerce.
Trust me, if it was cheaper in the South, I'd know. It's not.
Sure our local supermarkets (Carndonagh) have goods obviously bought in Northern cash'n'carrys. You can tell by the special offers printed on the packaging in sterling.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Though I have to say, we bought a washing machine last year and after much pricing opted for a certain outlet in Burt. Collegebhoy prob knows where I'm talking about. The free delivery is what tipped the balance.

goosebump

What's the source? Probably Donegal Chamber of Commerce.
TV3, apparently.

The last time I was on business in the North, about 3 months ago, I stopped in Sainburys in Lisburn.

My recollection was while there were lots of offers, the sticker price on most items was pretty much the same. Smirnoff isn't a good example. Smirnoff is like water in Northern Ireland, and has alway been dirt cheap.

What appears to have happened too is that the muliples just inside the border have upped their prices, while the multiples on this side of the border have reduced theirs.

The north is probably cheaper for drink and certain other items, but not by enough to make a 4 hour round trip worth while.

And Tesco have cut the price of drink massively in the last while, particularly beer. Their current €10 for 12 cans of Budweiser is an example. The stuff walks off the shelves.

Cruimh

TV3, apparently.

The last time I was on business in the North, about 3 months ago, I stopped in Sainburys in Lisburn.

My recollection was while there were lots of offers, the sticker price on most items was pretty much the same. Smirnoff isn't a good example. Smirnoff is like water in Northern Ireland, and has alway been dirt cheap.

What appears to have happened too is that the muliples just inside the border have upped their prices, while the multiples on this side of the border have reduced theirs.

The north is probably cheaper for drink and certain other items, but not by enough to make a 4 hour round trip worth while.

And Tesco have cut the price of drink massively in the last while, particularly beer. Their current €10 for 12 cans of Budweiser is an example. The stuff walks off the shelves.
Out of interest - what proof are Spirits in the ROI ?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
...The north is probably cheaper for drink and certain other items, but not by enough to make a 4 hour round trip worth while...
I'd say you're right there.
Factor in your time and your petrol money, I can't see you breaking even.
Especially as sterling is stronger than this time last year, and much stronger than 2 years ago. Factor in also the cost of exchanging money. Not just the rate, but the cut they take.

Me, I get paid in sterling and am already in the North in work. So it's a no brainer for us.

Collegebhoy

Twitter
n/a
Though I have to say, we bought a washing machine last year and after much pricing opted for a certain outlet in Burt. Collegebhoy prob knows where I'm talking about. The free delivery is what tipped the balance.
Probably Callgaghans - thats where my ma bought hers for years - but other than that I can't really think of anything electrical wise i would buy in the south. The last electrical purchases I made in recent times was a guitar, an XBOX, DVD player and Satelite Decoder box all in the North.

Cassandra Syndrome

I live near the border and i can confirm it is cheaper to shop south.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Pat's Points Are Sound's points are not sound.

Unless you some sort of pro-partition zealot, why should you care what greedy capitalist pockets you are lining?
As I say, in our nearest town (Carndonagh), even the supermarket owners shop in the north, see my previous post. Then they whinge when I do the same? They want my money they can come to my house and sing for it. And tap dance.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I will be shopping for groceries in Derry at lunchtime.
Someone else go shop in the south.
We'll post up the contents of our receipts in the p.m.

glasto

I live in Cork, but my mum lives in the North. When we visit her we fill the car in Sainsbos for the return trip. Alcohol is miles cheaper. I'd say groceries are still a bit cheaper although not so much as they were, we normally just go to get the nice stuff we can't get down here. But when my mum visits us she has fits every time we go to the super market, and she would be pretty price conscious ( she needs a lie down if she has to buy wine, although she says the prices in the North are rising to match. So I'd say the North is cheaper definitely if you are there anyway, but if you have to factor petrol costs then it depends how far you have to travel. And its not as big a difference as before due to strenghtening £ etc. I wouldn't make a special trip from Cork unless I had a van to fill.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies