• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Short video on our" new poor". Galway Soup Kitchen.

Truth.ie

These "soup kitchens" are becoming more prolific in Irish towns and Cities.
One woman, armed only with a camera set out to try and capture the mood within.
(Can't we think of a less derogatory name than "soup kitchens" with all the historical connotations?)
Video: Film-maker reveals Ireland’s new poor relying on soup kitchens - Lifestyle - Independent.ie

What I've noticed from the video is the open-ness of the people.
I'd be pretty embarrassed to be seen here, and would likely have refused an interview.
I know I'm wrong to think that, and maybe more open-ness and acceptance is healthy.
Hard to believe only a few years ago, we used to bum ourselves up as a Nation, and brag about being the 2nd richest country on Earth.

Analyzer

This is once again a poster dwelling on the inadequacies of the state system here.

He needs to be reminded of all the wonderful things that the Irish state can achieve.

Mammy O'Rourke's many pensions.
Ivor's mileage.
Cowen's beer belly.
Ditherer's whiskey nose.
Mrs. Gimmemore's site.
Ruairi's spin.
600 Million for often corrupt third world dictators.
Rody Molloy's severance package. (How many millions was that again ?).
The bailout of the Anglo Bondholders.
The Dole Bowl getting 400 Million courtesy of Johnny Cash.
And the sports centre in Killarney, ditto.
Sumo's therapy in a Florida nail bar.
The annual Pravda subvention, to look after the Montrose Millionaires.
That sweetheart deal for Treasury Holdings (Johnny Rotten) concerning the Cowen Can.
Bill Cullen's handy number on the DAAA (what does that muppet know about airports than the rest of us don't ?)
Bertie's mates in all the quangoes.

Need I continue ?

G

Gimpanzee

New poor? I don't see anyone in that video that wouldn't have always been classed as poor.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Ireland remains one of the richest nations on Earth , definitely top 20 . The dole provides generously for those without. I'm skeptical of need for anyone to be homeless /rely on soup kitchens

tigerben

Years in to a recession, less money all round and utility bills increase year on year, more stealth taxes , extra vat with snips to social welfare and wages mean if your not a person careful with money, it's easy to find yourself in trouble. People go to these places for company as well as food I think.

Red_93

Ireland remains one of the richest nations on Earth , definitely top 20 . The dole provides generously for those without. I'm skeptical of need for anyone to be homeless /rely on soup kitchens
Did you even bother watching the link?

ruserious

When you're not reading up on the latest news on paedophilia and beastiality, take a look at some of the real poverty out there.

Truth.ie

Years in to a recession, less money all round and utility bills increase year on year, more stealth taxes , extra vat with snips to social welfare and wages mean if your not a person careful with money, it's easy to find yourself in trouble. People go to these places for company as well as food I think.
I think company and empathy plays a big part.Yes.

dizillusioned

Fair play to this guy Ollie. I suspect he is right when he says that there will be one of these in every town/city. Amazing to see people unafraid of talking. Good luck to them all. Some I am sure will be able to come out of this, unfortunately other will not...

darkhorse

Years of watching football have made me cynical of short videos

[video=youtube;8NMCRcB3yAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NMCRcB3yAM[/video]

tigerben

There was bags of food in the store room to be given out to families so I wonder to charities have shared information on who they are delivering food parcels too. If there is a need out there and times are tight with out shared information some families could be recieving a food parcel of a different charity every day.

james toney

According to Enda Kenny and Fine Gael,it's their own fault that so many are on the breadline,and living in poverty.

hellsbells

Radix

When you finally take your chin out of your navel, you might realise that shít happens to some people, and even if it is their own fault, we have a duty to help them, since there but for the grace of God, could go you or I.

But then again, an understanding of simple human solidarity is not your forte.

Off you go now up to the Wicklow mountains...

storybud1

Years of watching football have made me cynical of short videos

[video=youtube;8NMCRcB3yAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NMCRcB3yAM[/video]
Man that brings me back to when I used to watch football and the reason I stopped (and the kids don't watch it either)

I could never understand the herd mentality of watching players lie and cheat their way to get elected, oops I meant to win the game and then nothing happens to correct the foul play, Drogba/Gilmore is a great example.

politicians, football players - same thing, just pointless spoofers with nothing to offer except to enrich themselves at our expense.

professional Sport is just another commodity, who cares anymore, it is for children. only when multi millionaires start behaving like Gates and Buffet will they be taken seriously, no promoting their favourite charity or asking us to sign up etc, actually putting their own hard cash into projects to help people.

Alan Alda

Yeah , they give my brother in law 40 euros a week. That'll easily cover his mortgage , bills etc. All he had to do to get this easy money was pay tax for thirty years and work six days a week as a self employed tradesman. We've never had it so good eh ,cyp ?

Politics matters

The poor fool in the video stated "I thought Kenny would put it right". Well Ireland this is what you get when you elect right wing thatcherites to run the country.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies