• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Shortlist of names for the new Bridge over the Liffey at Marlborough Street

Maximilian

Dublin City Council has revealed the shortlist of names for the new bridge spanning the River Liffey, currently under construction. My preference is Ernest (Ernie) Walton. The names are:

1. Abbey Theatre Bridge
  2. Willie Bermingham
  3. James Connolly
  4. Frank Duff
  5. Lady Gregory
  6. Tony Gregory
  7. Rosie Hackett
  8. Kay Mills
  9. James Plunkett
  10. George Sigerson
  11. Bram Stoker
  12. Jonathan Swift
  13. The Patriots Bridge
  14. The Returned Home
  15. Ernest Walton
  16. Oscar Wilde
  17. W.B Yeats
Dublin City Council reveals bridge name shortlist - RTÉ News

Perhaps a moderator might consider setting up a poll? Also, I hope this is the appropriate forum. I suppose it could just as easily have gone into the (built) "Environment" forum. Moderator, please move the thread if so required.

Seanie Lemass

Can't beleive that Kevin Heffernan is not on the short list. How was it selected? There is no way that at least half of the names had more people petitioning for them than Heffo. A Dublin camogie captain! George Sigerson!

ger12

owedtojoy

Ernest Walton was Ireland's only Nobel prizewinner in Science, and deserves the honour.

But my heart says Tony Gregory, a man who stood up for Dublin's Inner city and also deserves recognition there.

It's national considerations against local (though Walton worked at Trinity College, not far away).

ShoutingIsLeadership

Can't beleive that Kevin Heffernan is not on the short list. How was it selected? There is no way that at least half of the names had more people petitioning for them than Heffo. A Dublin camogie captain! George Sigerson!
Probably selected from a series of unfunny letters sent to the Irish Times

ShoutingIsLeadership

How about Bust bridge?

We already have Butt bridge, so this would complete 'the pair'; it would also be a reminder of what happened in 2008.

Seanie Lemass

If Kathleen Mills is the token Dub GAA selection then it is not based on any sort of popular demand, no harm to her. There was a campaign to nominate Heffo so am guessing that one of the luvvies on the Council decided that Mills would be a bit cooler because she was like a woman and everything :roll: Most Dubs will never have heard of seven of the nominees.

Bea C

While I myself would be biased towards a Haughey bridge, I thought on liveline they said one day the person had to be more than ten years dead?
Of that list It'd be Yeats or Wilde.

Mountaintop

While I myself would be biased towards a Haughey bridge, I thought on liveline they said one day the person had to be more than ten years dead?
10 years dead?

Well, since no cars are allowed on it, why don't we wait a few years and call it "The Green Party Bridge"

Bea C

Has anything ever been named after Lemass?

D

Dylan2010

I thought Mary mcAleese was in the running for that bridge over the Boyne , would be worth it if we can start the clock now?

rapparree

the make up of that list is 'odd', wonder what thought processes went into creating it

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
A List Too Long Bridge - short name: Too Long Bridge

Verhofstadt

Website
In honor of the fine Dublin accent:

The Thirty Third Bridge

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Has anything ever been named after Lemass?
Not to my knowledge.

But they are going to name a road after De Valera - as soon as they find one long enough and crooked enough.