Should a Citizen be empowered to seize keys from an intending drunk driver?

Hans Von Horn

The main legislation dealing with road safety is the Road Traffic Act 1961. This law has been updated and modernised regularly over the years and following the introduction of the Road Traffic Act 2006.
The Gardai have wide powers to reduce and eliminate the offence of drink driving but members of the public are without powers.

However members of the Public or Citizen don't appear to have power in law to intervene to stop even the most apparently drunk and incapable drivers.

Publicans who serve drink and who know who is likely to drink and drive ( to the extent of 15-20 pints) do not appear to have a clear basis for intervening to stop a drunk driver fro driving.

The most obvious place a drunk driver can be detected is in the place of consumption the pub. With only one Garda to each 500 Citizens Gardaí are the most unlikely to see an intending drunk driver declare their intend against advice to drive home.

Should Citizens be granted powers in law to stop Drunk drivers intend on driving and to seize the vehicle keys in places of consumption like pubs, hotels etc?

Hans Von Horn

Feckin' ******* don't drink. Therefore they won't get killed in drunk-driving incidents. So, they'll outbreed the hard-drinking Irish. We're doomed.
The ******* as you describe them could be killed by drunk drivers.

ger12

Very unfair to derail a thread like this.

Yes, it would save lives I suspect.

Mad as Fish

The underlying thrust here is the empowerment of citizens to take control of vehicles ready for the supposed arrival of autonomous cars which will no doubt have the facility to be disabled or directed remotely. Once the precedent is established all sorts of people will be able to take over the vehicle you are in without your say so.

pierrepoint

I would not have much of a problem with the idea but imagine the scenario of some well meaning soul being beaten to a pulp and the perpetrator getting off in court with the usual " I am usually a lovely guy but I was drunk your honour..."

New Threads

Most Replies