Should Bonfire Night be banned?

Lúidín

If you're driving the Wild Atlantic Way today, have a look at the bonfire scars and see the rolls of wire left from the burnt tyres. This and the other debris will hang around for months unless some good citizen throws it in the sea.

Herr Rommel

If you're driving the Wild Atlantic Way today, have a look at the bonfire scars and see the rolls of wire left from the burnt tyres. This and the other debris will hang around for months unless some good citizen throws it in the sea.
It's a once a year tradition get over yourself

fifilawe

Yesterday (SAt 23rd June) I went for my daily evening walk (7-8km) .All around the countryside it was like a scene from a western with all the Indian Smoke signals rising all about the place for miles.The place is like a tinder box below the fresh growth and the bogs are like gunpowder.I was out from 6 - 7.30 and I am sure they were not all BBQs.I 've also noticed fires are usually started after the council offices close so there is no one on duty to police lawbreaking.Within the next five days with this unusual warm weather ,I can see big problems with yobbos , scumbags deliberately starting fires almost guaranteed.For the fine weather April- Sept the councils should have extra-staff on a retainer/standby and when needed get into action.Pass laws to give these people power to dish out on the spot fines or power to make the offender appear before the authorities.

fifilawe

mAybe it's the Pagan genes in our Inner Soul that springs to life this time of year, we've been at this racket for over 5,000 years now and Christianity is only about 1500 years in Ireland.

Herr Rommel

mAybe it's the Pagan genes in our Inner Soul that springs to life this time of year, we've been at this racket for over 5,000 years now and Christianity is only about 1500 years in Ireland.
Nothing cleanses like fire, our pagan forefathers knew that well.

Barroso

I caught a glimpse of something that I'd heard of before- I think it was something like 'Sceilig Night' which appeared to be something of a debauch. Must look that up but it seems to have been popular in Cork some hundreds of years ago.

I'm pretty sure that 'bonfire night' is an Anglicisation of the ancient 'Bealtaine' or 'Beltane' night which was celebrated at midsummer across the UK and Ireland and probably the more celtic areas of the continent for milennia.

The 'st john's eve' tag will be one of those awkward attempts to take over something far older in recent times.
Bealtaine is May day.

This is St John's night (Oíche Tine Sheáin) or Midsummer.

Lúidín

A man is in intensive care following an explosion at a bonfire on St John's Eve in east Galway. Something in the fire - possibly a gas cylinder or an inflated wheel - exploded. The story has not been reported as yet but the man in his thirties, and the father of four children, is in an induced coma at Beaumont Hospital.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies