• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should Circumcision be banned as Child Abuse?

Cael

Given that the French government has banned the burka as an abuse of women, is it not time to ban the actual physical mutilation of infants during the ceremony of circumcision? After all, taking a knife to an infant must be a worse abuse than wearing an item of clothing. Is it not actual child abuse?

toughbutfair

While I think it is horrific, I wouldn't ban it. Jews and muslims (I think) have done it for a very long time and it doesn't affect anyone else.

My objection to the burka had nothing to do with the woman's rights but to do with people walking around town with masks on hiding from my vision. This is not an issue with somebody that is circumcised.

It is a parent's choice.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Jews and muslims (I think) have done it for a very long time and it doesn't affect anyone else.
Communities (even religious ones) don't have rights. Only people do.

On the substantive issue: dunno. It's not the same as female genital mutilation and shouldn't be treated as if it was.

Tin Foil Hat

While I think it is horrific, I wouldn't ban it. Jews and muslims (I think) have done it for a very long time and it doesn't affect anyone else.
It affects a child. The child, who has no say in it whatsoever, has part of his body cut off without anesthetic for no reason.
I wouldn't do it to a dog.

Cael

My objection to the burka had nothing to do with the woman's rights but to do with people walking around town with masks on hiding from my vision. This is not an issue with somebody that is circumcised.

It is a parent's choice.
So you believe that parents have a right to carry out child abuse - as long as they do it behind closed doors?

stringjack

There's a huge difference - believe me. Not one for discussion on this site though. Let's just say think about what's being cut, for what reason and the implications.
Let me rephrase. What is the basis of the putative moral difference between one and the other?

stringjack

Female genital mutilation has far more serious long term health consequences as compared to male circumcision.
Is that true in all cases? (Death being a fairly serious long-term health consequence, I would have thought.)

Tin Foil Hat

It's not the same as female genital mutilation and shouldn't be treated as if it was.
It's not a severe as FGM. It's not that different though.
It mutilates the genitalia, by definition, and it does, apparently, have an affect on the enjoyment a circumcised man gets from sex.
Also, baby boys have died because of this ridiculous, pointless procedure.

toughbutfair

It affects a child. The child, who has no say in it whatsoever, has part of his body cut off without anesthetic for no reason.
I wouldn't do it to a dog.
The children don't grow up to complain about it though and in fact do it to their own children.

The Field Marshal

Given that the French government has banned the burka as an abuse of women, is it not time to ban the actual physical mutilation of infants during the ceremony of circumcision? After all, taking a knife to an infant must be a worse abuse than wearing an item of clothing. Is it not actual child abuse?
Thank you for starting this thread.

I have posted on that very point several times.

Even though we cross swords on other matters
Cael I agree 100% that circumcision is serious ritualistic child abuse.

Jews and Mohamedans all practice it religiously.
It is also extremely common in the USA.

There is pyhscological connection between disturbed male adults and this horrendous and barbaric practice.

One only has to look at the lands where these horrific baby genital mutilation practices are widespread to see that all their societies are unbalanced and in turmoil.

toughbutfair

So you believe that parents have a right to carry out child abuse - as long as they do it behind closed doors?
If it was child abuse, parents wouldnt' invite their community over to take part and celebrate it.

Cael

Female genital mutilation has far more serious long term health consequences as compared to male circumcision.
I think we can all agree that female mutilation is utterly criminal and should be banned. But, surprisingly, the idea of taking a metal blade to the genitals of an infant boy seems to be quite OK with a lot of people. Or is it simply because Jews do it, and we can't criticise Jewish behaviour because of the Holocaust?

Cael

If it was child abuse, parents wouldnt' invite their community over to take part and celebrate it.
They would if they themselves didnt consider it child abuse.

Tin Foil Hat

The children don't grow up to complain about it though and in fact do it to their own children.
Religious indoctrination is a strange thing, isn't it?

Anyway, the same could be said for any cultural child mutilation including FGM.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies