Should Cork go it Alone?

Bea C

'Carrauntoohill is the biggesht mountain in Ireland-in fact it's the biggesht mountain in Kerry!'
He has one about Kerry people always answering a question with another question.
It's more detailed, but standing outside the post office in Listowel, he asked a passerby could he tell him where the post office was.
After a pause, the Kerryman responded with 'is it a stamp that you'd be wanting?'.

He tells it slightly better, but it's funny.

seanof

He has one about Kerry people always answering a question with another question.
It's more detailed, but standing outside the post office in Listowel, he asked a passerby could he tell him where the post office was.
After a pause, the Kerryman responded with 'is it a stamp that you'd be wanting?'.

Niall Tóibín had a good one about the last Kerryman on earth at the time of the biblical Flood.

Noah was sailing his ark over Carrauntoohil and there was the last Kerryman on earth perched on the summit and thumbing a lift. Noah explained that he'd been ordered by God to take two of every animal on board in order to preserve the species and that the ark was already full - so he couldn't take him on board. The Kerryman replied "Feck you anyway, sure tis only a shower".

Obviously Tóibín's telling was vastly better!

seanof

And a true Kerry anecdote about answering a question with another:

A friend of mine was rushing to an outdoor job in a wooded area near Killorglin recently. He realised he had no insect repellent with him and spotted a pharmacy on a roundabout near Killarney. He dashed in and asked the lady "Do you have anything for the midges, please?" She replied "Is it to keep them away?"

fat finger

Where is Dick Macs?
Is it opposite the church?

Ireniall

Northern women, they are entirely the explanation for Northern men. *And you know what they are like.*
Many years ago now I had the honour of representing my alma mater in Gaelic Football during which I got a close look at the male version of the species you refer to. One match against UUJ was a bit fraught and during one of these bouts of ill temper there was an incoherent shriek from our bench. Of course this sort of thing is much harder on the subs because they can do nothing. Anyway we learned after the match that one of our Westmeath subs had completely lost the plot and screamed 'yee six-county bast*rds' across the pitch- only to turn around to find all of his fellow subs and including his best friend were from the self same six. 'Sorry boys' he says with his head hanging 'I couldn't think of anything else' A Belfast man-Stevie Stockdale retorted 'Ah it's alright. They are a bunch of six county bast*rds'. He went on to make up a chant on the bus home. We were all singing it like eejits ' Who are we?-a bunch of six-county bast*rds'
'What are we-a bunch of six-county bast*rds' ffs-memories or what.

nationalsday

Visited Cork for the first time in long time recently (close to 10 years I think?).

Brilliant time and brilliant place. I could even forgive their spurious claims of being the Real Capital as the people are as friendly and smart as I remember.

3 days in the city and 2 around Clonakilty area. Recommended.
Oddie's alternative pimp hand cuck-tour of the South..

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies