• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Should Cowen Call a Snap Election?

Gryire

that is the funniest. Ff look strong and united!

The only reason why they don’t have a leadership contest is that no one wants to take on cowens mess until he loses the next election.

Strong and united! Hilarious.
+100

LeDroit

Alright. Stronger and more united.

hiding behind a poster

It would be suicidal. FF are awaiting public execution, and nothing that's happening in FG this week changes the public view of FF. Plus an election would swiftly re-unite FG.

enby

In fairness to Cowen, he is not an eejit. To seek a dissolution now would be to do the impossible, ie to make an even bigger hames of the political situation than Bruton has.

South

Website
homepage.eircom.net
I can't see Cowen going for an election, even when Fine Gael are in such chaos, Fianna Fail are not very appealing either plus an election is great at focussing minds and a 3-4 week campaign will quickly see FG's problems ironed out and put behind them.

CookieMonster

Not at all.

FG are mortally wounded but Labour look good to voters at the moment. Too good, they need some hard focus on them before FF will move. There is no rush now.

T

The_Big_Fellow

That is the funniest. FF look strong and united!

The only reason why they don’t have a leadership contest is that no one wants to take on Cowens mess until he loses the next election.

Strong and united! Hilarious.
Well unfortunately they do, relatively speaking of course. Could you imagine FF engaging in this kind of nonsense if FG were on the ropes in the way that FF were. Could you imagine a FF challenger picking that week. He would get the crap kicked out of him for his glory hunting.

All yere credibility of the last 8 years is starting to dissipate. If the public feels that ye have a leader that is so obsessed with internal politics, that he couldn't wait another week, or properly organize a coup, then how in the name of Christ can they expect ye to run a country.

theoutsider

FG are in meltdown, at each others throats and utterly divided, (perhaps even by 50:50). They look utterly unsuitable for govt to the electorate right at this minute. Labour, regardless of poll numbers, don't have enough geographical spread, don't have enough candidates and have no declared policies.

Cowen's best shot is right now.
Cowan won't but you can bet Haughey would have.

rubensni

Vladimir and Estragon might as well go to the country now because that recovery they spend so much time talking about will never show up.

This week is their best chance before Labour get their act together and set about leading Ireland's first centre-left government as the crisis in the economy (and Fine Gael) deepens over the next two years.

If Labour get a foothold in rural Ireland that genuinely could be the beginning of the end for Fianna Fáil.

Tomas Mor

Cowen should make a dash for it now, to put it up to Bruton and his cronies, front benchers who think they are God. BTW How do FF posters view all this, they spent a long time having a go at Enda, wonder if they regret they did not help to leave him there. They might be faced with Baby Brut soon. How about it EC. Old saying, be careful what you wish for, or maybe they are happy to have got rid of ,as they will say now " the best leader FG ever had"

LeDroit

If FF do fear a settled and focused Bruton then now is definitely the best time to go for it. They can pick off Gilmore's inability to answer a question and once again, Labour don't have the candidates right now to capitalise on their poll numbers.

Red_93

If FF do fear a settled and focused Bruton then now is definitely the best time to go for it. They can pick off Gilmore's inability to answer a question and once again, Labour don't have the candidates right now to capitalise on their poll numbers.
You're very much mistaken my friend - Mae Sexton.

Last edited:

Sync

I don't think he is. Right now Labour come a distant third to FF and FG to having a developed ground force to challenge in each constituency. Gilmore's been the most consistent leader for the past 2 years, and now it's beginning to pay off in the polls. But they need the next 2 years to prepare the plan for the general election. A snap one sees them coming up short.

Red_93

I don't think he is. Right now Labour come a distant third to FF and FG to having a developed ground force to challenge in each constituency. Gilmore's been the most consistent leader for the past 2 years, and now it's beginning to pay off in the polls. But they need the next 2 years to prepare the plan for the general election. A snap one sees them coming up short.
But we have Mae Sexton :lol:.

mixer73

Maybe kenny could join labour and help them organise!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
You're very much mistaken my friend - Mae Sexton.
I'm beginning to think Labour are ready, and are getting readier by the day.
FFS I can't even write them off here in Donegal NE.
Right now they're looking at 40 to 50 seats.

Asparagus

I'm beginning to think Labour are ready, and are getting readier by the day.
FFS I can't even write them off here in Donegal NE.
Right now they're looking at 40 to 50 seats.
They don't have the candidates or the machinery in place to maximise (or even nearly maximise) the return on their popularity - if it is held in a year maybe 50 seats, 6 weeks and they'd be lucky to break 30.

LeDroit

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
They just need candidates.
Seriously, people will get the ballot paper in their hands and look down until they see the red rose.
One word: Bhamjee.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies