• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should Cowen's and Ahern's Pensions Be Stripped?

jmcc

Given their complicity in and the responsibility for the economic collapse, should Brian Cowen's and Bertie Ahern's pensions be seized to help sort out of the mess that they created? And should this pension recovery be applied to all politicians?

Regards...jmcc

DCon

yes and yes

nonpartyboy

along with mc creevy, neary, mollloy, fingers, harney, parlon,drumm the entire previous and current cabinets and i haven't even started yet.....put it to the people and let's see what they have to say.

Michael Flynn

JMCC.. Totally agree they must be hit. They cant keep paying themselves these crazy monies in a time of econmic collaspe. They said if we paid them peanuts we would end up with monkeys. They paid themselves to many peanuts and still we ended up with monkeys. Slash pensions and politicians wages now and show us some leadership I say

flavirostris

They should be but they won't. One quirk of the current political system is that you can destroy the country and betray the citizenry to vested interests but retire on 10 pensions and live happily ever after.

Bill D Gallows

Given their complicity in and the responsibility for the economic collapse, should Brian Cowen's and Bertie Ahern's pensions be seized to help sort out of the mess that they created? And should this pension recovery be applied to all politicians?

Regards...jmcc
Now you're talking....

That's taking responsibility for your actions in a way the people will understand.

Travis P

Striped and whipped

Never mind Pensions they should be striped and whipped. A leaf should be taken from Iceland. We should haul them into court a real one none of this bull Sh** tribunals. Then again with Bertie it would be smoke and mirrors and the other clown it would be songs about the good ol times

Barnacle

What a wonderful thought, if only! But funny you should mention it, there is a mechanism in the Civil Service whereby someone's pension could be reduced if the person....

With effect from 1 January 1994, in cases of dismissal or pre-emptive resignation, the former officers concerned retain entitlement to immediate superannuation benefits (if over minimum pension age) or preserved benefits (if below that age). However in cases involving financial loss to the Exchequer, the amount of the loss - plus interest - is recouped by deduction from the benefits payable. Interest is charged at a compound rate in respect of the period between the date the loss was incurred and the date of recoupment. The compound rate is 6% per annum up to 13 November 2000 and 4% per annum in respect of periods from 14 November 2000 onwards.
I wonder if they have every applied this provision. All those Civil Servants who booked flights for their spouses, etc, involved financial loss to the Exchequer.

Watcher2

All ministerial pensions should be taken away and only payable when they reach normal retirement age. There should only be one pension paid and not TD, Ministerial and whatever other pension they can stuff their wads with.

petervalhala

They were democratically elected, therefore should everyone who voted for the Govt parties also be scapegoats for those who ignore world economic events and/or their own personal responsibility ?

Rural

They were democratically elected, therefore should everyone who voted for the Govt parties also be scapegoats for those who ignore world economic events and/or their own personal responsibility ?
Yes and yes.

I didn't vote for FF for the past 16 years, but the Greens will rue the day.. they promised me..... they promised me!!!

flavirostris

Well those who voted for FF must share the responsibility for destroying the country. They've inflicted a grim future on the rest of us

perricrisp

For sure but who's going to enforce it? Money corrupts and not one politician willl ever want the status quo to change. As a previous poster noted , put it to the people and let them decide who should get what.

oggy

Well those who voted for FF must share the responsibility for destroying the country. They've inflicted a grim future on the rest of us
I voted FF and do not feel one bit responsible for the recession that has hit the country as history shows they will happen no matter how good governments are. This country is only destroyed in the eyes of what is known as the ABFF who are sick and tired of lanquishings behind the glories of FF. The ABFF are relishing the recession and spend their miserable lives gloating at every single thing that goes wrong in the country. The ABFF have themselves brainwashed in spreading their misery to every corner of the country. Scapegoats are always needed and the ABFF have placed Ahern and Cowen at the top of their list but their vile vindictive attitude will only be tested when the people of this country have to face the frightening alternative to FF. Dont count your chickens before they are hatched
Should the politicians who have sat on the opposition benches lose their pensions. For decades now they have been paid for relentless failure

jmcc

Not good enough! These people screwed up and they must pay the price.

Were they leaders?

Were they making the decisions?

Are they responsible?

Make them pay!

Regards...jmcc

davehiggz

If this were a thread calling for the stripping of a bad teacher's pension, or a garda's pension then I know that many of you would be against it. We need to apply certain principles here and not just populism.

While I know that Cowen and Ahern would easily survive without their pensions it's unfair to not reward someone with a pension that they have worked for. I completely condemn the situation that we are in because of these two idiots but nonetheless they served in the office of An Taoiseach and they should be rewarded for having done so. Whether they did a good job or not, they still put in the 100+ hour weeks and the commitment that is needed to be our head of state.

How do we judge whether a Taoiseach has done a good job or not??

If we are to strip pensions off Cowen and Bertie then it's only fair that we do it for Cosgrave, Reynolds and Fitzgerald.

I agree with reducing the size of Ministerial, TD and Taoiseach pensions for ALL politicians and I don't see why former Taoisaigh would need 24 garda protection. Liam Cosgrave lives in my area and there's a little garda hut outside his house. It's a complete waste of taxpayers money.

flavirostris

I voted FF and do not feel one bit responsible for the recession that has hit the country as history shows they will happen no matter how good governments are. This country is only destroyed in the eyes of what is known as the ABFF who are sick and tired of lanquishings behind the glories of FF. The ABFF are relishing the recession and spend their miserable lives gloating at every single thing that goes wrong in the country. The ABFF have themselves brainwashed in spreading their misery to every corner of the country. Scapegoats are always needed and the ABFF have placed Ahern and Cowen at the top of their list but their vile vindictive attitude will only be tested when the people of this country have to face the frightening alternative to FF. Dont count your chickens before they are hatched
Should the politicians who have sat on the opposition benches lose their pensions. For decades now they have been paid for relentless failure
seriously, you're wasted on here. Ever thought about doing one of the comedy clubs in town during the week

merle haggard

Regards...jmcc
i think they personally should be seized and their organs sold to pay off the debt . I wouldnt give you a fiver for cowans liver though .