• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should David McWilliams be Taoiseach?

mairteenpak

Should David McWilliams be leader of Fianna Fail, and Taoiseach, assisted by George Lee as Minister for Finance and Tainiste?

Might The Brians step aside in the National Interest. There is a compelling case that those in charge that swear they never saw it coming, simply are incompetent, and lack the ability to steer a course to get the Nation on its feet again.

tonys

Maybe for 1 year in ten, the year they are right would be nice.

mairteenpak

The Brians et al would seemed to be disqualified on that basis as their policies have been wrong for the FF tenure in power.

CelloP

mairteenpak said:
Should David McWilliams be leader of Fianna Fail, and Taoiseach, assisted by George Lee as Minister for Finance and Tainiste?

Might The Brians step aside in the National Interest. There is a compelling case that those in charge that swear they never saw it coming, simply are incompetent, and lack the ability to steer a course to get the Nation on its feet again.
Interlinked in the economic crisis and the turmoil of greed, arrogance, blatant ignorance and corruption that we've been through over the last 10 years, is a national identity crisis. We need to appoint a Minister for Arts, Culture and the Gaeltacht who can inspire a new vision for Ireland that is sympathetic to our history and rich traditions. Honesty, integrity, ambition, creativity, friendliness, hard work and artistic flair is what us Irish should be famous for. Not cute-hoorism, corruption, drunkeness, an ingrained inferiority complex, idleness, lack of substance and that shallow, happy-go-lucky surface that Americans and Europeans are growing increasingly tired of.

adrem

By that logic we'd have to include Miriam in the cabinet, along with Hobbs, Tubridy, Cooper, Norris, Ted Walsh, Aiden O'Brien and Michael O'Leary :lol:

Strangely enough none of them, nor Macker, nor George (I predicted 20 of the last 2 recessions) Lee have ever run for local or national govt.

Maybe they're waiting for FG to introduce a list system

HanleyS

tonys said:
That would be a good line for all those kids that ride their bikes with no hands.

"You're going to lose your teeth"
"Maybe you'll be right some day, but most days I won't lose my teeth, so you're mostly wrong"

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Yes. He recognises the need for a more liberalised economy and for a less censorious debate on immigration.

Victor Meldrew

Cello has a point. There is a lack of any sense of national identity or moral compass. But then, 11 years of craven FF 'leadership' have left us a shallow, thick people.

blucey

one wonders when Mr McW was working in his NY hedge fund or his property company was he quite as bearish on the irish banks.
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analy ... 36832.html

Hes a windbag, shallow on analysis, a media invention with limited skills beyond self hype and a good ear for the soundbite. So, hed be a perfect politician

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49

But why?

Is it because the ever-so-smug and comfortably-off have lost some of their their smugness!

HanleyS

BodyofEvidence said:
one wonders when Mr McW was working in his NY hedge fund or his property company was he quite as bearish on the irish banks.
http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analy ... 36832.html

Hes a windbag, shallow on analysis, a media invention with limited skills beyond self hype and a good ear for the soundbite. So, hed be a perfect politician
Why wouldn't he be?

Sligoboy

Andrew49 said:

But why?

Is it because the ever-so-smug and comfortably-off have lost some of their their smugness!
No, I'd imagine they are even smugger as they watch the rest of us scramble around the crumbs in the aftermath of the Boom.

They are still comfortable and well off, we are progressively getting poorer. What makes you think they would be any less smug in the face of such circumstances?

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Sligoboy Wrote:
I'd imagine they are even smugger as they watch the rest of us scramble around the crumbs in the aftermath of the Boom.
Too true.

White Horse

mairteenpak said:

I'd settle for David Walliams and Matt Lucas.

DOD

The day that plonker becomes taoiseach is the day I'm emigrating for good.

Libero

tonys said:
Aren't you misrepresenting McWilliams there?
I always thought he forecast a bursting of the bubble and consequent downturn at some indefinite point in the future. In other words, he never tied himself down to saying "we will have a downturn next year".

I'd be interested to see if you can show otherwise.

As it happens, McWilliams hasn't just been right about the existence of a property bubble, he's also been right about the mechanics of how it bursts and the effects this has on our economy and banking system.

DOD said:
The day that plonker becomes taoiseach is the day I'm emigrating for good.
Another good reason for drafting McWilliams...

mairteenpak

There are those out there that will say the property crash happened because McWilliams said it. Our last Taoiseach said as much.

dublinwestman

Why don't they ask Dunphy and Giles to manage the international soccer team while they're at it.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain, and most fools do."
Benjamin Franklin

tonys

Libero said:
tonys said:
Aren't you misrepresenting McWilliams there?
I always thought he forecast a bursting of the bubble and consequent downturn at some indefinite point in the future. In other words, he never tied himself down to saying "we will have a downturn next year".

I'd be interested to see if you can show otherwise.
Mr. Class, just for you.
Quote from a post on this site

Crash predicted within two years. McWilliams warns of `Celtic Ostrich'.

By Patsy McGarry. Irish Times.

The Irish economist who is reputed to have first used the term Celtic
Tiger has forecast that this State's economy is headed for a
crash "within the next year or two".

The date on the piece: 8 November 1998.

D

Duth Ealla

i suppose he was just a Loolah as well as one car sales man put it.