Should decent people have to pay for Sinn Fein's intransigence?

death or glory

I see now that up to 10% are going to be added on to the rates bill to subsidise the shortfall in the Northern Ireland budget due to SF intransigence and refusal to take up their paid positions in the Stormont government. Meanwhile decent people may be landed with a 10% in the rates bill to subsidise these so-called politicians.
Rates rise warning over NI budget pressures - BBC News

Niall996

I see now that up to 10% are going to be added on to the rates bill to subsidise the shortfall in the Northern Ireland budget due to SF intransigence and refusal to take up their paid positions in the Stormont government. Meanwhile decent people may be landed with a 10% in the rates bill to subsidise these so-called politicians.
The rates will be abolished in a UI. It's just a tactical ploy to convince people they'll be better together in a UI. Increase charges and stealth taxes now knowing they can be reduced in the future. Like putting up prices 30% prior to a 25% sale.

death or glory

The rates will be abolished in a UI. It's just a tactical ploy to convince people they'll be better together in a UI. Increase charges and stealth taxes now knowing they can be reduced in the future. Like putting up prices 30% prior to a 25% sale.
It would matter to you too, if you ever get put off the DLA.
Don't let punishing the good working people of Ulster affect your dreams/nightmares.

between the bridges

Shin flakes usual tactics of running away and finger pointing at everywan else has as usual been a flakey failure, they will be crawling back to take the Stormont soup and the usual beatch slapping from the Duppers...

collina

Being honest, I wouldn't blame Unionists for not wanting Sinn Fein in Executive seats, however the DUP are as much if not more to blame. I say more because all Foster had to do to avoid the previous termination was to step aside while her own £500M phuck-up was investigated. In previous iterations the DUP were far more interested in preventing equal marriage (against the majority) than getting on with business. You could accuse Martin McGuinness of a lot, but not doing his job is something nobody could say. A fair few on all sides could do worse than following his example.

Niall996

You could accuse Martin McGuinness of a lot, but not doing his job is something nobody could say. A fair few on all sides could do worse than following his example.
I think it's about time they put up a statue of McGuinness. The man virtually single handedly brought civil rights to NI, brought the British counter insurgency to a standstill, defused the civil rights conflict and brought peace to Northern Ireland, secured joint authority and delivered the future UI should we wish to take it. Has NI ever produced a more worthy individual of such an honour?

vivabrigada

I think it's about time they put up a statue of McGuinness. The man virtually single handedly brought civil rights to NI, brought the British counter insurgency to a standstill, defused the civil rights conflict and brought peace to Northern Ireland, secured joint authority and delivered the future UI should we wish to take it. Has NI ever produced a more worthy individual of such an honour?
Look at the political leadership of unionism in comparison.
It should be an embarrassment to them.

vivabrigada

Aye,ask Mrs Patsy Gillespie about Garfunkel.
I said compare unionist leadership with that of Martin McGuinness.
You didn't.
You can't.

Sword of Gideon

Being honest, I wouldn't blame Unionists for not wanting Sinn Fein in Executive seats, however the DUP are as much if not more to blame. I say more because all Foster had to do to avoid the previous termination was to step aside while her own £500M phuck-up was investigated. In previous iterations the DUP were far more interested in preventing equal marriage (against the majority) than getting on with business. You could accuse Martin McGuinness of a lot, but not doing his job is something nobody could say. A fair few on all sides could do worse than following his example.
Too many followed his example and ended up inflicting death and injury on their fellow citizens or ended up dead or in jail themselves, so that the SFIRA leadership could live the good life.

CastleRay

Ffs the hilarious :lol:

Niall996

Ffs the hilarious :lol:
Can you give me one comparable figure from NI history? McGuinness is going down in history as NI's finest of all. I don't think anyone could find anyone remotely close in stature and global esteem. Every individual in NI owes him a huge debt. And indeed all in Ireland and the UK.

between the bridges

Can you give me one comparable figure from NI history? McGuinness is going down in history as NI's finest of all. I don't think anyone could find anyone remotely close in stature and global esteem. Every individual in NI owes him a huge debt. And indeed all in Ireland and the UK.
To be truly representative of the man the statue will have to show him walking on water with an armalite in wan hand and waving a white fleg in the other...

CastleRay

Ffs, that's hilarious too :lol:

Niall996

To be truly representative of the man the statue will have to show him walking on water with an armalite in wan hand and waving a white fleg in the other...

I like your walking on water idea Bridgey. Or, I'd see two other possible interesting options.

One could be something like this. The young civil rights revolutionary activist motivated to take up the fight with the British Army and the Unionist Theocracy following the slaughter of inmocents on Bloody Sunday. Who went on to fight a campaign that was ultimately a huge success in bringing about civil rights, bringing the IRA into government and into joint authority in NI effecfively overseeing the operations of the PSNI etc. And negotiating the GFA which puts the destiny absolutely in the hands of nationalists in Ireland for the first time should they decide they want to take it. We could effectively vote it in within five years if we so wished. Or we may choose to sell our Gaelic souls to the NHS but whatever, it's up to us now.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/03/21/16/0A0C6DD3000005DC-4333934-History_IRA_Commander_Martin_McGuinness_holding_a_handgun_in_197-a-46_1490112793445.jpg

Or, as a gesture of goodwill and reaching out to our Presbyterian and Anglican-Catholic felllow European Christians.

https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.1842705.1403553127!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

The symbolism here is quite historic. The Queen recognising on behalf of herself and the people of England Scotland and Wales the IRA as co-leaders of the NI joint authority, recognising that the future of NI is to be determined by Nationalists from now on and ensuring the bridge between the Irish and the British is strengthened in the context of two modern sovereign EU states working together from a position of mutual respect. Yes, look, I do understand the Queen is giving the two fingers to unionists and all their ranting. picture mugs and heavy breathing over the years, but surely unionists would still be favourable on the basis that two traditions are represented here instead of just one, the Nationalists and the people form across the sea in Briain.

The only question really is where. Front of Stormont? Derry or Belfast? Or maybe at one of the old border crossing points to symbolise the end of partition? Or by the Boyne - or even in it, up to their waists?

hollandia

Really? Because the article you linked to it is "one option". I really wonder about your comprehension skills, DOG.

cricket

Patsy Gillespie, one of McGuinness's victims, is far more deserving of a statue.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies