• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should disgraceful Anglo Irish sign be exhibited in Museum at Collins Barracks.

Eoin Coir

I was horrified to see on TVs news an item which allowed cameras into bowels of former Anglo Irish Bank. And it showed the former bank sign erected in our national museum in Collins Barracks of all places. Some guy with name in Irish said it was an historical thing showing collapse of old order. I dont know what old order he was thinking about - the old order which founded and kept Anglo is good order did not destroy it. I think it was the new order of recent years that brought about the biggest banking downfall in the world for which we are saddled.

But is it right that this sign should be on prominent display in our national museum,should it not be left in a box in the vaults ?

APettigrew92

If we rid our museums of everything that shamed us, we wouldn't have very many things in our museums.

eskrimador

Celts, Vikings, Normans and the British are all part of our history and our living culture, to one degree or another. Unless you regard our identity as weak, your sod all to frett about.

Eoin Coir

I suppose Seanie might yet be a good man if the Germans pay back all the money we put into Anglo.

firefly123

It's important to keep historical items. Especially shameful ones. So we never forget...

stakerwallace

"The Ballybrack Cumann, FF, demands that the Anglo-Irish bank sign should not under any circumstances be placed in An Iarslamann Náisiúnta, and all reference to its possible continued existence be forthwith refrained from heretofore".

artfoley56

I was horrified to see on TVs news an item which allowed cameras into bowels of former Anglo Irish Bank. And it showed the former bank sign erected in our national museum in Collins Barracks of all places. Some guy with name in Irish said it was an historical thing showing collapse of old order. I dont know what old order he was thinking about - the old order which founded and kept Anglo is good order did not destroy it. I think it was the new order of recent years that brought about the biggest banking downfall in the world for which we are saddled.

But is it right that this sign should be on prominent display in our national museum,should it not be left in a box in the vaults ?
itll be close enough to arbour hill for seanie to drop in and reflect on his glory days when he gets sent down

TommyO'Brien

Of course it should be displayed. However loathsome Anglo Irish Bank was it is a part of Irish history. You cannot censor history to remove the bits you don't like.

Eoin Coir

Of course it should be displayed. However loathsome Anglo Irish Bank was it is a part of Irish history. You cannot censor history to remove the bits you don't like.
seems to have happened with all vestiges of our past - like songs on RTE and TG4 paying tribute to those who blew up Nelson etc. And was statue of Victoria not shipped away to Austalia not so long ago.

edifice.

Wait until 2016!

lying eyes

-

I think that AIB - Bank of Ireland - Irish Nationwide-plus others, should all be there. If nt why not?????????

Truth.ie

And yet the Famine isn't even mentioned in the National Museum.
That just beggars belief.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
"The Ballybrack Cumann, FF, demands that the Anglo-Irish bank sign should not under any circumstances be placed in An Iarslamann Náisiúnta, and all reference to its possible continued existence be forthwith refrained from heretofore".
The Ballybrack Cumann, FF, have little to do.
How about if they pass a motion apologising for the decades of corruption, cronyism and ineptitude that has run this beautiful country in to the ground?

tokkie

so Nelson's pillar,and Queen Victoria statue for example should not have been removed ?
Nelson's Pillar was not removed. It was blown up by an organisation that did not recognise the legitimacy of the State. Queen Victoria's statue was moved to Sidney. Numerous other traits of imperial Britain remain in situ though.

flavirostris

If I was FF, I wouldn't want reminding of Anglo either. It was basically the party bank.

Pudna

Maybe Anglo was a symptom caused by lack of regulation from central bank and department of finance, in that context, maybe a payslip from Kevin Cardiff in his new role (the doddle) in EU would better represent the ongoing reality.

Popular Threads

Most Replies