• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should Donegal's mountain scenery be sacrificed for modest wind farm factory energy?

patslatt

The people of Donegal are waking up to the planned sacrifice of their pristine mountain scenery to colossal turbines that spoil the view for many miles Wind Watch: Save Our Scenery benefit concerts

Generally,such wind farm factories are hopelessly uneconomic and survive only because of very expensive subsidies which must be paid for in higher electricity bills.So the consumer is being forced to pay for wrecking the Irish countryside.

Last edited:

SinnShane

Donegal is already destroyed with the amount of houses there. There seems to have always been a short-sighted approach to planning in the county. They may as well build away at this stage. There's better places to visit in Ireland.

davehiggz

Wind Farms are uneconomical now, but when we have soaring oil prices they will make sense.

These developments have to happen sometime so resistance is futile in my view, we have to build them somewhere. Might as well get it over with.

Obviously these communities haven't considered the jobs that will come to Donegal with new energy developments. Screw the scenery

A view from England

The people of Donegal are waking up to the planned sacrifice of their pristine mountain scenery to colossal turbines that spoil the view for many miles Wind Watch: Save Our Scenery benefit concerts

Generally,such wind farm factories are hopelessly uneconomic and survive only because of very expensive subsidies which must be paid for in higher electricity bills.So the consumer is being forced to pay for wrecking the Irish countryside.
No. Wind energy is inefficient and costly. It would be far better for Ireland to grasp the nettle and build a nuclear facility in Donegal. Clean and relaible energy, plenty of jobs. What more could you ask for? It would have to be a private venture though. Ireland is skint.:cry:

LiquidPaddy

Wind farms are bogus investments to me. For what it is worth, I do recall Gordon Brown, during the UK election, mentioning that although it was quite windy where he resides in Scotland, it was more beneficial economically to have solar panels installed.

goosebump

junius

Wind farms are not scenically dstructive. They are very pleasant to look at. Consider the alternatives and you will see that you are not badly off at all.
It would be far better for Ireland to grasp the nettle and build a nuclear facility in Donegal.
Or what about fossil fuel refinery as in North Mayo?

I think you are lucky. I'd welcome a windfarm on my doorstep no problem at all.

feargach

Yes.

Donegal is utterly dependent on an oil supply that appears to be very fragile. They will need the option of electrically-powered transport.

goosebump

Donegal is already destroyed with the amount of houses there. There seems to have always been a short-sighted approach to planning in the county. They may as well build away at this stage. There's better places to visit in Ireland.
+1

Donegal is a mess.

If you want real rural scenery, go to England or Scotland.

Cruimh

I've given up - Ireland -North and South - is a joke in respect of looking after it's scenery. Ironic considering we want tourists.

I can see some wind turbines from one of my windows. I'd rather see them than more ugly housing . Only thing I've heard is that they can be noisy for locals ?

yehbut_nobut

see those little white plastickly-looking dots? thats what passes for scenery in Donegal

more windfarms would be an improvment - more the better in my opinion.

Harry700

Donegal has awesome beauty/scenary & is the last place for erecting this crap !!!!

Cheers,

Harry

hmmm

I don't mind the turbines so much, but building access roads onto the mountains can create a lot of destruction.

It seems only reasonable that some areas should be off-limits for now, at least until we have exhausted the not-so-beautiful areas.

Esttopt

Wind Farms are uneconomical now, but when we have soaring oil prices they will make sense.

These developments have to happen sometime so resistance is futile in my view, we have to build them somewhere. Might as well get it over with.

Obviously these communities haven't considered the jobs that will come to Donegal with new energy developments. Screw the scenery

Screw the scenery? Pathetic statement

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
1. The scenery excuse is bogus. "Some" scenery would be spoiled by erecting a wind farm in a certain place, but go a mile down the road and you would be back to the non wind farm scenery

2. Nuclear power is an option. Until nuclear fuel runs out. It is a finite resource, the same as oil and gas.

3. How come "wind energy" is deemed uneconomical in Ireland, when much more energy efficient countries in Europe have been harnessing wind technology for years ? Is there something more expensive about our wind as compared to the Dutch wind? or Swedish wind ?

People would need to cop themselves on.. if wind energy can provide a portion of our energy, then it should be used.

fiannafailure

I would suggest to the people of Donegal that they should look at what Clare has done with its Wind Strategy.

Survey the county for its wind resources, omit any areas with an SAC or high amenity designation, do a high level EIS on the remaining areas.

And designate the resulting land area as a preferred wind energy zone.

That is what is now happening in the rest of the western counties.

Finally lets designate the area around patslatt's house as a gas fracking zone

slx

see those little white plastickly-looking dots? thats what passes for scenery in Donegal

more windfarms would be an improvment - more the better in my opinion.
That looks rather like Dublin's high-density outer suburbs :D

fiannafailure

1. The scenery excuse is bogus. "Some" scenery would be spoiled by erecting a wind farm in a certain place, but go a mile down the road and you would be back to the non wind farm scenery
Agreed

2. Nuclear power is an option. Until nuclear fuel runs out. It is a finite resource, the same as oil and gas.
Nail on the head

3. How come "wind energy" is deemed uneconomical in Ireland, when much more energy efficient countries in Europe have been harnessing wind technology for years ? Is there something more expensive about our wind as compared to the Dutch wind? or Swedish wind ?
Vested interests and the lack of an indepth national energy policy, also almost every other country in Europe has already embraced and use energy storage in some form or another.

Ireland relies on the very small Turlough Hill facility, ironically the only part of our nuclear energy program ever to be built.

People would need to cop themselves on.. if wind energy can provide a portion of our energy, then it should be used.