Should Dublin build a giant statue?

gleeful

Mumbai wants to spend $500m building a 212m tall statue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/india-s-plan-to-erect-world-s-tallest-statue-under-fire-1.3556282

This is because rival Gujarat wants to build a 182m tall statue, so Mumbai needs a bigger one.

Tall statues are actually great for tourism. New York has a big one you might have heard of. Maybe Dublin should do one? It would define the approach to the city and be a real talking point. I propose a 300m tall statue of Fionn (of Fianna fame) standing atop Howth Head, looking out to sea. Passing Ryanair flights on approach to land would be around head-height.

Put a lift inside and a viewing platform (470m above sea level) and it would be a major international tourist attraction. On cloudy days (remember those?) the head would sometimes be above the clouds.

Last edited:

mr_anderson

Build something people can go up and look over the city.
Always adds to the tourism factor.
And the relatively low-rise of Dublin allows for a good, long view.

It's a pity nobody had the foresight to build such a statue or pillar in the city centre, say O'Connell Street.

brughahaha

Yep ..a huge one of Angela Merkel and Jean Claude Junker , arm in arm , as they lead Ireland from the darkness into the Germanic light .......

On an island outside Galway bay , Holding a torch

Clanrickard

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/india-s-plan-to-erect-world-s-tallest-statue-under-fire-1.3556282

This is because rival Gujarat wants to build a 182m tall statue, so Mumbai needs a bigger one.

Tall statues are actually great for tourism. New York has a big one you might have heard of. Maybe Dublin should do one? It would define the approach to the city and be a real talking point. I propose a 300m tall statue of Fionn (of Fianna fame) standing atop Howth Head, looking out to sea. Passing Ryanair flights on approach to land would be around head-height.

Put a lift inside and a viewing platform (470m above sea level) and it would be a major international tourist attraction. On cloudy days (remember those?) the head would sometimes be above the clouds.
It sounds crazy but it is not a bad idea.

CookieMonster

Back in 2007 there were plans for an Anthony Gormley sculpture in Dublin's Docklands.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/gormley-plans-48m-sculpture-for-dublin-docklands-1.957451

I am a big fan of his work, then Angel of the North in particular is fantastic. However, I felt something this large should, like the Angel, have some real significance to the city which I don't think this proposal has.

To be fair, we haven't had a great history with public statues/art. I am all for public money being used to support young local artists, but big stuff should be privately funded, and subject to local government oversight... mostly so we don't end up with something sgít like this:

mr_anderson

In all seriousness, we could build a 212m apartment complex in the city centre to alleviate the housing shortage.

The top floor could be a revolving restaurant with an observation deck on the roof.

A glass-floored lift, dedicated to getting people to the very top, could be run externally giving people an extra fun 'oh shít' factor as they ascend and descend.

fergal1790

Sure they can use all the money Mother Theresa and her Brides Of Satan made selling babies to rich foreigners to bankroll the project!

Mother Teresa charity 'sold babies' born to unwed mothers

Cruimh

Back in 2007 there were plans for an Anthony Gormley sculpture in Dublin's Docklands.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/gormley-plans-48m-sculpture-for-dublin-docklands-1.957451

I am a big fan of his work, then Angel of the North in particular is fantastic. However, I felt something this large should, like the Angel, have some real significance to the city which I don't think this proposal has.

To be fair, we haven't had a great history with public statues/art. I am all for public money being used to support young local artists, but big stuff should be privately funded, and subject to local government oversight... mostly so we don't end up with something sgít like this:

I agree with you about the Angel of the North. It is breathtaking.

One thing to mention - the RCC in Ireland has been an important patron of the arts and local artists. It has been surprisingly adventurous in some of its architecture and decorative art.

deepness

Is the Spire (godawful as it is) not enough?
Dubland no more needs another statue than flying up in the moon,.

between the bridges

Yes, well past time Dublin recognised its greatest son..

Ramon Mercadar

gleeful

Is the Spire (godawful as it is) not enough?
Dubland no more needs another statue than flying up in the moon,.
My only two issues with the spire are 1) is bland and meaningless and 2) if you are going for bland, at least make it really big - it should have been 4 times as high.

CookieMonster

I agree with you about the Angel of the North. It is breathtaking.
The amount of times I've nearly come to and end in the A1 either craning my neck to see it or pointing it out to others.

One thing to mention - the RCC in Ireland has been an important patron of the arts and local artists. It has been surprisingly adventurous in some of its architecture and decorative art.
Yeah, but they also raped children, so...

CookieMonster

My only two issues with the spire are 1) is bland and meaningless and 2) if you are going for bland, at least make it really big - it should have been 4 times as high.
I liked that idea. But it needs to be much bigger and a less depressing pose.
Size queen!

Re: The Spire. I don't hate it, I don't love it. The meaningless thing I get, it absolutely is but you know you can make up your own meaning for something so incredibly bland.

What bothers me about it is how poorly lit it is. Throw some spotlights or something on it so it can be seen from every part of the city. It just disappears at night when I think it is actually when it could be quite beautiful.

New Threads

Most Replies