Should Dublin have a red light district?

borntorum

Up until roughly 90 years ago, Dublin had a famous red light district known as Monto. This was reputedly the largest red light district in Europe, and was located in the area around Talbot St, Gardiner St and Amiens St. Anyone who has read Ulysses by Joyce will know it as the 'nighttown' area described in the Circe episode.

Monto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After independence, the area was 'cleaned up' by the Legion of Mary, and prostitution went underground. Since 1993 it has been illegal for prostitutes to hang around on the streets touting for business.

Red light districts are major tourist attractions in cities like Amsterdam and Hamburg. The prostitution / sex industry exists in Ireland. Wouldn't it make more economic sense, and be less hypocritical, to allow it to be carried out openly and taxed as any other economic activity?

vanla sighs

It does, it's called Kildare Street. All the whores are there in one big brothel.

Cato

Yes, similar to the recreational drug trade, prostitution needs to be decriminalized, legalized, regulated, and taxed. Regulated brothels should be run on a co-operative basis without pimps and with some of the taxes raised should go towards providing health services and to the prostitutes.

Anyone using prostitutes outside the regulated sector or anyone involved in pimping should face draconian penalties.

SevenStars

No.

SevenStars

Though it would be utterly symbolic....The final nail in the coffin of everything that was won in the national revolutionary struggle of the 1918-21.

locke

Although I'm in favour of properly legalised prostitution (I am aware that the act is technically legal now), I don't think a red light district is the way to go about it.

Also the idea that it be promoted for state revenue is totally wrong. The most the state should do is adopt a morally neutral attitude to prostitution.

Libero

borntorum said:
Wouldn't it make more economic sense, and be less hypocritical, to allow it to be carried out openly and taxed as any other economic activity?
The ugly truth is that the Great Irish Public are relatively comfortable with prostitution being conducted in private premises through ad listings and mobile phones. We all know that's commonplace even in small towns, and it causes no real outrage.

But as we saw with legal highs, what the GIP is comfortable with in private, it will often not tolerate out in the open and under legal sanction, no matter how much sense it makes in public policy and harm prevention terms, and no matter how much the business of supply then attracts and rewards criminals.

If Ireland doesn't legalise the milder sort of head shop, how will it ever tolerate the other?

borntorum

Also the idea that it be promoted for state revenue is totally wrong. The most the state should do is adopt a morally neutral attitude to prostitution.
I'm not suggesting that brothels be given tax breaks! But a properly regulated red light district could prove to be a tourist attraction, even if not a particularly wholesome or family friendly one.

Green eyed monster

Anyone arguing proactively for an area of prostitution automatically makes me recoil and react against.

Why would you want such a district, do you use prostitutes yourself?

If prostitution exists despite safety rules and needs regulation to prevent a greater problem i might consider it as a band-aid, but not as a positive thing of merit in itself, it's really quite a disgusting business.

adamirer

Though it would be utterly symbolic....The final nail in the coffin of everything that was won in the national revolutionary struggle of the 1918-21.
Not true. Monto, if i recall a historian on newstalk about it (circa a month ago), vanished in the mid 20's due to presure from the Catholic Church/Legion of Mary types and a big cleaning up act took place with the madams being pushed out.

borntorum

Anyone arguing proactively for an area of prostitution automatically makes me recoil and react against.

:roll:

No. You're obviously not familiar with the basic concept of liberalism. Read some Mill and then come back to me.

Sean O'Brian

The ugly truth is that the Great Irish Public are relatively comfortable with prostitution being conducted in private premises through ad listings and mobile phones. We all know that's commonplace even in small towns, and it causes no real outrage.
I don't see what's so ugly about it. Most people know that prostitution is a fact of life in all times and places and so they want it be discreet and private, not trumpeted and public.

Green eyed monster

:roll:

No. You're obviously not familiar with the basic concept of liberalism. Read some Mill and then come back to me.
So you see no merit, it's just part of an ideological attack on the state then?

It should be free from a libertarian position for someone to take a dump on the sidewalk as well so long as they clean up after themselves, would you suggest legalising that too?

pujols

Completely opposed.

Prostitution, legalised or otherwise, is exploitative of women and men who work in the business and exposes to them to a whole series of threats to their person that no-one should have to endure.

In truth, I doubt that very many choose it as a career but rather are forced into this because of desperate economic circumstances/dependency issues etc.

That is of course referring to those who are adults not underage, and excluding those who have been trafficked for the purposes of exploitation.

SevenStars

What annoys me about these threads is that the vast majiority of these men would recoil in absolute horror at the idea of their own daughters or mothers working as prostitutes....But its fine and dandy for other people's daughters and mothers....Showing that see the women and girls caught up in this business as essentially lacking some aspect of humanity that they themselves share in along with their female family members.

borntorum

So you see no merit, it's just part of an ideological attack on the state then?

It should be free from a libertarian position for someone to take a dump on the sidewalk as well so long as they clean up after themselves, would you suggest legalising that too?
What are you talking about?

My reply to you was a reaction to you impugning my motives for starting this thread, by suggesting that I use prostitutes and that the proposal was for my own benefit. Are you unable to comprehend that I might be able to support the legalisation of prostitution, and yet personally find the practice of prostitution distasteful or worse?

Sancho

If prostitution exists despite safety rules and needs regulation to prevent a greater problem i might consider it as a band-aid, but not as a positive thing of merit in itself, it's really quite a disgusting business.
Agreed.

I read a survey some years ago: c. 76% of all pros are feeding a drug habit, so they are on the game because they are desperate. Prostitution is the front end of a violent and dangerous sex trade. How many prostitutes in Ireland are African or Eastern European and are on the game because their passports are being withheld and they are threatened with violence ?? I can remember having to walk along the canals in Dublin back to my flat and seeing the same young one in the doorway every night. She was shockingly young, 15 at most. Reform this shambles of a country so that it's no longer the only option for young deprived women, rescue them from the trade, lock up the pimps.

Nodin

But as we saw with legal highs, what the GIP is comfortable with in private, it will often not tolerate out in the open and under legal sanction, no matter how much sense it makes in public policy and harm prevention terms, and no matter how much the business of supply then attracts and rewards criminals.

If Ireland doesn't legalise the milder sort of head shop, how will it ever tolerate the other?
Indeed. And who would want to be out in the open in any 'controversial' area, given the tendency to knee jerk legislation and playing to the mob in this country.

Popular Threads

Most Replies