• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should feminist events exclude men?

borntorum

There was a bit of a barney the other night at the London Feminist Film Festival, when one of the panellists at a discussion unexpectedly demanded that all the men present leave.

There was an instant uproar: lots of clapping, but also lots of booing. Many men and women got up and left, visibly disgruntled. [Julia] Long then elaborated on her point, saying how "politically disastrous" it had been to allow men to attend feminist events and conferences in recent years (although she did not specify what the harm actually was). She made some further controversial claims, such as that heterosexuality can be a death sentence (no, that's conflating it with abuse), or that in the face of "off the scale" sexual violence and misogyny, there's nothing more threatening than women withdrawing from men completely (how very progressive and change-inspiring).
I can't claim to be an expert on feminist theory, although I probably have read more than most men, and have had historical involvement with Gender Studies. But, from what I've heard from 'mainstream' feminists, feminism is meant to be an inclusive movement that, ultimately, will help men as well as women. What do p.ie's feminists think of the suggestion that feminist events should be women-only affairs?

How a feminist debate was derailed by asking all men to leave | Marta Owczarek | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Ramon Mercadar

It really depends on the event and should be announced in advance.

The vast majority of Feminist events are open to men as well.

You do find some "radical feminists" who want to exclude men and those who are trans-Gender. They also see all hetero-sexual intercourse as rape. They are a tiny mad minority.

borntorum

You do find some "radical feminists" who want to exclude men and those who are trans-Gender. They also see all hetero-sexual intercourse as rape. They are a tiny mad minority.
If I was a feminist, I'd want the radicals attaching themselves to my events like a hole in the head. They provide support for the worst stereotypes about men-hating dungaree-wearing lunatics.

SCUM Manifesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hooch

The fact that she didn't specify why the presence of men was "disastrous" is telling.

I follow a few prominent feminists on Twitter and this subject was broached one day, all of them enthusiastically supported the idea of men attending their events.

ruserious

Feminists believe that gender equality should be a female focused exercise.

The Herren

There was a bit of a barney the other night at the London Feminist Film Festival, when one of the panellists at a discussion unexpectedly demanded that all the men present leave.

I can't claim to be an expert on feminist theory, although I probably have read more than most men, and have had historical involvement with Gender Studies. But, from what I've heard from 'mainstream' feminists, feminism is meant to be an inclusive movement that, ultimately, will help men as well as women. What do p.ie's feminists think of the suggestion that feminist events should be women-only affairs?

How a feminist debate was derailed by asking all men to leave | Marta Owczarek | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
FFS!! What real man would be seen dead at a feminist event in the first place????

theObserver@hotmail.com

Women need the privilege of talking about their under-privilege in women-only spaces because privileged men will only interrupt the under-privilege with their privilege. Therefore women are allowed to have their own spaces/meetings and men are not.

The fact that we are still funding college courses that produce such dross is an outrage.

Hewson

ManOfReason

Every movement has its aggressive pr1cks, or in this case aggressive vaginas I guess. who want to distill the membership down to the most extreme elements to achieve a purity of purpose. They are usually the people who destroy everything good about a movement.

NewDawn1

Allow men and women to be none monogamous and there would be no need for feminism in the first place.

I realise this comment is a bit off topic. But what I am saying is that men should be part of the debate. Men and women are equal and also equally different and I believe the core problem is our post hunter gatherer society which makes men feel like they need to own women. This is as much our issue (as a man) as it is womens.

Last edited:

LINKS FAHREN

If the "event" is publicly funded in any way, then men should have the right to attend. If it's a private gathering of borderline misandrists, then it's their own small-minded business. I'd like to think that any event which banned half of the human race from attending would be one that wouldn't be that earth-shatteringly important to begin with.
Being in a room with many others who only think like yourself must be a stultifying experience..even more so when it's supposedly intellectual in nature.

Barrycelona

By Feminism I presume you mean you want an equal society. By excluding men I cannot see how you can achieve your goals. Historically that is what feminists have done and you are no further down the line. Change your focus. Get rid of the term ''Feminist'' and the likes of the extremist people who asked for the removal of men.

The main issue as I see it is that of Childcare. A lot of women in families who can afford to have one person stay at home and look after their children, dodge the issue of childcare with their partners and instead employ Spanish teeagers to look after their children. When this issue is properly addressed, then women can begin to grow.Put the needs of children first and empower those women in the home who have greater earning power than their husbands to let the husband look after the childcare. It may not be a direct approach to Equality but it will rid women of the bulk of the guilt.

Carson

My understanding of a feminist would be someone who believes in equal opportunities for the both sexes i.e. someone shouldn't be barred from voting or taking up a job or becoming president because of their sex.

Similarly, I think an extension of that belief says that the same should be true for people's race, sexual orientation or level of wealth.

So if you believe it is wrong that children born in certain post codes of Dublin are dramatically less likely to attend university and much more likely to end up on drugs or in jail than those born in other parts of the city, then you are in sympathy with the feminist ethos of equal opportunity for all (as I understand it).

In my opinion, saying men shouldn't attend feminist events would be like saying white people aren't welcome at an anti-racism event or that straight people couldn't attend a pro gay marriage rally. A pretty stupid argument I think.

Estragon

There was a bit of a barney the other night at the London Feminist Film Festival, when one of the panellists at a discussion unexpectedly demanded that all the men present leave...
That time of the month, I suppose.

Ramon Mercadar

Sitting naked on an electric fence sounds like more fun.
You get to meet interesting women at such meetings.

As for what sort of male goes?

Not your stereotypical wimp. All types, but a lot of 6'1" rugger build guys (me) attend.

southwestkerry

Aaaa hand me a moment to rant about the feminist if you please... 'dar sock puppets so they are anyway'
Anyhow I had the misfortune to encounter two off them in kerry as who work in mental health here in kerry. They do not like me in the lest I must say. largely due to the fact I said I was politically outspoken and a right wing capitalist. Wounder does that mean they [feminists ] are left wing? During the summer they have handed me to an intern who appears a tad better. :rolleyes:
Well anyway here is a link to level the playing field. [No I am not a member ;)]
SWK
A Voice for Men | Masculine Counter-Theory in the Age of Misandry