• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should FF General Secretary Sean Dorgan be fired?

edj007ie

I think as FF faces one of its most difficult elections in june FF General Secretary Sean Dorgan should be fired for the state of the party at grass roots level.

The hole local elections for FF is in a mess,with problems all over the country,
some areas have no FF candidates,how can we hold seats if we have no one to defend them, and where is our General Secretary but in Washington,lots of votes for us there?! He should be here trying to fix some of the problems.

In 2004 we lost 80 seats ,I am afraid at how many we will lose in june,but you would think the party would fight ? I guess not under DORGAN HE SHOULD GO NOW NOT JUNE 7.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
I think as FF faces one of its most difficult elections in june FF General Secretary Sean Dorgan should be fired for the state of the party at grass roots level.

The hole local elections for FF is in a mess,with problems all over the country,
some areas have no FF candidates,how can we hold seats if we have no one to defend them, and where is our General Secretary but in Washington,lots of votes for us there?! He should be here trying to fix some of the problems.

In 2004 we lost 80 seats ,I am afraid at how many we will lose in june,but you would think the party would fight ? I guess not under DORGAN HE SHOULD GO NOW NOT JUNE 7.
Absolutely. Now is the time for them to change the personnel in such a role. It's late March, if they did it quickly they could have the new man/woman in place by early May, plenty of time to learn what's involved in on-the-job training - after all, it's not like they'll be busy in HQ around that time, is it? ;)

Arf arf!

mccafferty cat

It does seem bizarre that FF have yet to select candidates in vast swathes of the country

blucey

It does seem even more bizzare that people would put themselves forward as FF candidates....

revereie

Many candidates will be chosen, and are chosen according to their work-ethic i.e. their canvassing.

Perhaps in some constituencies where there are one or two contenders for only one spot on the ticket this encourages both proespective candidates to be out there canvassing now ?

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Many candidates will be chosen, and are chosen according to their work-ethic i.e. their canvassing.

Perhaps in some constituencies where there are one or two contenders for only one spot on the ticket this encourages both proespective candidates to be out there canvassing now ?
How do you explain the effect of the interview strategy in Offaly? An FF town councillor has quit to run as an indo, as has the constituency secretary and another member - and that's just the Edenderry LEA.

It doesn't look good when the Taoiseach's backyard isn't towing the line.

councillor

are you for real??

"HI. im canvassing for the local elections for Fianna Fail. im not actually a candidate yet (and i may not ever be a candidate), but if i make a good impression on you, will you please ring HQ and tell them how good i am at canvassing?"

jesus wept!

mccafferty cat

Many candidates will be chosen, and are chosen according to their work-ethic i.e. their canvassing
I can think of two former FF Councillors, who lost out narrowly in 2004, who have been shafted by this process and told their services are not required. Neither men are of retirement age.

If what you say is true, then why would FF be refusing nominations to people with strong electoral records, who happened to lose out because of the dismal FF performance nationally (which was not their own fault per sé)

revereie

I'm not saying this is the sole requirement (to be seen to be active) but I know from experience that candidates do compete to get on the 'ticket' and I have heard of (but admittedly have never seen) polls done to test name-recognition - one way to boost this is to canvass.

mccafferty cat

I'm not saying this is the sole requirement (to be seen to be active) but I know from experience that candidates do compete to get on the 'ticket' and I have heard of (but admittedly have never seen) polls done to test name-recognition - one way to boost this is to canvass.
Ok, so I take it that this rules Maurice Ahern out of the running for the by-election then? (and the City council election)

The guy didn't do a tap of canvassing between 1999 and the day Tony Gregory died

TheJudge

I don't think that canvassing before being selected has ever been done revereie. Naturally there's other work you can be doing but you can't be going door to door. As councillor pointed out you would look like an absolute moron doing that. You're right about polls being used though as part of the decision-making process occassionally.

hiding behind a poster

You don't look for ANYTHING else in your candidates? You know, ability, sense of public service, anything?

No it doesn't. No-one will waste their time canvassing this close to an elected unless they're either a sitting councillor, already on a ticket, or facing an unopposed convention.

hiding behind a poster

If you were trying to boost name-recognition in the hope of doing well in a poll, leaflet-dropping would make much more sense.

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com

With the greatest respect, if you arent a FF member you have NO RIGHT calling for any one in the FF organisation to be fired. If you are a member of FF, have the balls to put your name to your post.

While I cant say Im 100% in favour of the candidate selection process, it has been the most vigorous process ever. Would candidates such as Anna Banko in Limerick have been selected by the Cumainn? I doubt it.

Sean Dorgan showed his worth in 2007 with his superb candidate selection process. If FF lose more seats in 2000. it wont be because of the candidate quality, it will be for reasons that Sean has nothing to do with

Vega1447

. Would candidates such as Anna Banko in Limerick have been selected by the Cumainn?
Anna Banko?

Thats Anna Bank of Ireland Banko?
Or her sister Anna Allied Irish Banko?

Not that wierdo Anna Anglo Irish Banko I hope - I've heard that she may be a Lisboan (you know, some kind of Portuguese one)?
She sure knows how to spend it...

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Anna Banko?

Thats Anna Bank of Ireland Banko?
Or her sister Anna Allied Irish Banko?

Not that wierdo Anna Anglo Irish Banko I hope - I've heard that she may be a Lisboan (you know, some kind of Portuguese one)?
She sure knows how to spend it...

Anna Banko is a FF candidate in Limerick South City. Anna is a prominent figure in the Limerick Polish Community

edj007ie

dunny, quote:(While I cant say Im 100% in favour of the candidate selection process, it has been the most vigorous process ever. Would candidates such as Anna Banko in Limerick have been selected by the Cumainn? I doubt it.

Sean Dorgan showed his worth in 2007 with his superb candidate selection process. If FF lose more seats in 2000. it wont be because of the candidate quality, it will be for reasons that Sean has nothing to do with.)

President John F. Kennedy said that success had many parents but failure was often an orphan.

I very much welcome candidates such as Anna Banko running. What I object to is the fact that Sean Dorgan should be praised for 2007 success but not criticised for the 2009. who is running the party? Many areas have no FF candidate in the local elections, who is to blame for this? May be the General Secretary Sean Dorgan . The party need a new start, some fresh thinking.
A new GENERAL SECRETARY would be a good first step.

citizenx

Should FF General Secretary be fired?

The General Secretary has been in situ since the before the 2004 local elections.

Since then the local elections 2004 - a disaster, the by-elections - a disaster, the Lisbon referendum - a disaster, the 2007 General Election campaign - a disaster (even though the FF result was rescued by Brian Cowen, the leaders debate, and the prospect of "Enda" as taoiseach).

The 2009 local and european elections will be the next test of progress under the present FF HQ brainstrust.

On the basis of the record so far - there may not be a FF within ten years.

Eurocitizen

Ok, so I take it that this rules Maurice Ahern out of the running for the by-election then? (and the City council election)

The guy didn't do a tap of canvassing between 1999 and the day Tony Gregory died
Maurice is out canvassing on a regular basis , one of the hardest working Cllrs in the country .

edj007ie

Well here we are, a few hours away from what by all accounts is going to be the worst election results for FF that we have seen.

And then what happens,I really think that a new General Secretary will be need if the party is to recover.The candidate selection process for the locals was a mess, with many Town councils with less candiates runing in 2009 that we had won in 2004 .So before a vote is even casted on friday FF have lost seats. This never happen before,and it is a disgrace.

Also many long standing members of the party,the grassroots, left the party at a time when they were needed most over the candidate selection process. General Secretary Sean Dorgan has alot to answer for.

There are many problems in the FF party, but i think that a new General Secretary would help.