Should Fine Gael Merge With The Ulster Unionist Party?

Considering the noises that Fianna Fail were making in the Bertie era and talk of a merger with the SDLP, could Fine Gael merge with what's left of the Ulster Unionist Party to form an all Ireland party?

dmc444

hmmmm that would be interesting, Fine Gael, Conservative and Unionist Alliance.

Yes after FF recruit Tim Allen to run in Cork

Corcaigh33

You mean they hadn't already? Are we sure? Brian Hayes? John Bruton? Gay Mitchell? ;)

Rosmuc

Why not go the hole hog and let them join with the BNP, they have the form!

west'sawake

Considering the noises that Fianna Fail were making in the Bertie era and talk of a merger with the SDLP, could Fine Gael merge with what's left of the Ulster Unionist Party to form an all Ireland party?
I have not neg repped anyone to date, but this post has me on the brink.

I'll be charitable and accept the probablity that you're having us on or just trying to rile the FGers here who are on a high because of their high poll ratings. No harm then to humble them a bit and keep them sharp.

As it is though the UUP has only one MP, Lady Harmon, and she supports the Labour Party. So great idea then for to FG merge with a party of one MP who opposes the alliance with the Conservatives, that her own party has approved.

Where were you educated? As C.S. Lewis once asked, what are they teaching children these days when they no longer know how to think?

Last edited:
I have not neg repped anyone to date, but this post has me on the brink.

I'll be charitable and accept the probablity that your'e having us on or just trying to rile the FGers here who are on a high because of their high poll ratings. No harm then to humble them a bit and keep them sharp.

As it is though the UUP has only one MP, Lady Harmon, and she supports the Labour Party. So great idea then for to FG merge with a party of one MP who opposes the alliance with the Conservatives. that her own party has approved.

Where were you educated? As C.S. Lewis once asked, what are they teaching children these days when they no longer know how to think?

Bring it on with neg rep!

So I take it from your post that a merger with the Democratic Unionist Party is more on the cards. Peter Robinson leader of Fine Gael and his as ever loyal deputy leader Michael McDowell etc.

Mr.De-Regulation

I do not see any advantage to the merger. As the majority of FG supporters would leave on mass. Since SF now has the same policies as FG on Northern Ireland, they should think of merging.

Also that article you mentioned a new documentary on O'Duffy. What will it bw called? I would watch that. Particularly if its his homosexuality. I assume thats why people like you dont like FG. Probably homophobes.

hiding behind a poster

Of course, most of Fine Gael would jump at the chance to swear an oath to the Queen!
:roll: You ignorant ********************ing moron. I bet you wouldn't be man enough to say that to any Fine Gael member face to face.

Website
www.laoisograsf.wordpress.com
:roll: You ignorant ********************ing moron. I bet you wouldn't be man enough to say that to any Fine Gael member face to face.
Are you trying to claim that there's a nationalist/Republican element inside "Fine Gael: The United Ireland party" despite the fact that their founding members pretty much created and as a party, has oversaw partition since them.

hiding behind a poster

Are you trying to claim that there's a nationalist/Republican element inside "Fine Gael:
I wouldn't say its an "element", given that its virtually the entire party. I've never heard of anyone in Fine Gael who has claimed to be neither a Republican nor a Nationalist.

The United Ireland party" despite the fact that their founding members pretty much created and as a party, has oversaw partition since them.
Well if you're going to get your history that much wrong, we won't have much of a discussion.

blacbloc

The OP is suspect imho. There's no way Fine Gael would even begin to think of doing something like this. I think the point of posting this thread was to put the suggestion out there that this is where FG would like to go as a spoiler.

Website
www.laoisograsf.wordpress.com
I wouldn't say its an "element", given that its virtually the entire party. I've never heard of anyone in Fine Gael who has claimed to be neither a Republican nor a Nationalist.
I find it hard to believe that, certainly there are Nationalists akin to the SDLP variety in the North, but I've NEVER met a Republican-minded Fine Gael, for most their mind seems to stop at the border.

hiding behind a poster said:
Well if you're going to get your history that much wrong, we won't have much of a discussion.
Apologies, I wasn't bothered with accuracy as its late. However, my general point was meant to be that Fine Gael has supported partition since its creation and has been very weak on reunification.

I'm not having a go at Fine Gael, I'd be a member only for the fact that I cannot support right wing policies, which is a bigger issue than reunification for me personally.

west'sawake

Bring it on with neg rep!

So I take it from your post that a merger with the Democratic Unionist Party is more on the cards. Peter Robinson leader of Fine Gael and his as ever loyal deputy leader Michael McDowell etc.
You're a hoot and tis great to be entertained.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies