Should foreign forces be allowed to recruit here

Harpey

It is increasingly common to see advertisments for the Royal navy before films in cinemas, to see the national print carrying professional opertunities in the various western armies. usually these are British adds, but they also come from Canada, and the USA.

So should forign armed forces recruit in Ireland?

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Harpey said:
It is increasingly common to see advertisments for the Royal navy before films in cinemas, to see the national print carrying professional opertunities in the various western armies. usually these are British adds, but they also come from Canada, and the USA.

quote]

Why are you interested in joining one of them ?.

I didn't think it was possible for a foreign national to join the American armed forces.

Ernesto

No ... if someone wanted to join a foreign military they can easily leave the country a join up there. And another think, do you think these non-Irish commanders would care about the safe return of Irish Citizen or the Political leaders, Irish deaths in Iraq wouldn’t affect the British government in the elections.

Outside Recruiting is taken away from people that would normally join Irish Military.

stringjack

I think there would probably be difficulties preventing EU states from advertising in the Irish market.

Ernesto said:
No ... if someone wanted to join a foreign military they can easily leave the country a join up there. And another think, do you think these non-Irish commanders would care about the safe return of Irish Citizen or the Political leaders, Irish deaths in Iraq wouldn’t affect the British government in the elections.
Could you possibly rephrase that? I didn't really follow.

Ernesto said:
Outside Recruiting is taken away from people that would normally join Irish Military.
So?

badinage

I didn't think it was possible for a foreign national to join the American armed forces.
you have to be a citizen to join the US Marine Corps (though Irish citizens have gotten through the cracks, then later acquired US citizenship), but the US Army and US Navy only require citizenship for officers.

As for the Royal Navy recruiting in Ireland: I don't think ads on tv or before movies in the cinema really counts as recruiting. I think legal issues would only arise if they actually had recruitment centres inside the 26 county state, but I could be wrong about that. The Brits don't have any enlisted/officer citzenship distinction, but certain parts of the Royal Navy, such as serving aboard nuclear submarines, is not available to non-citizens.

Harpey

padraig said:
Harpey said:

quote]

Why are you interested in joining one of them ?.

No i thought I just might pose the question. Personally I believe it to be wrong.

And another think, do you think these non-Irish commanders would care about the safe return of Irish Citizen or the Political leaders, Irish deaths in Iraq wouldn’t affect the British government in the elections.
that is an argument being used against, say, the Nepalese Gurkha regiments in the British Army: the British Government is more willing to deploy them to conflicts they don't really care about, such as East Timor, when they wouldn't be too keen on losing 'British' soldiers, owing to possible political fallout.

On the other hand, I don't think a few thousand Irishmen spread across the entire American Armed Forces is going to influence Washington's decision making.

That isn't really true. The Irish Defence Forces have never had anything approaching a recruitment shortage. Its not as if the Brits or the Americans would be taking away individuals who otherwise might fill vital posts in the Irish Army.

(though they may have been granted citizenship the minute they stepped off the boat, in exchange for enlisting)

stringjack

Carrier said:
Personally, I think attempting to recruiting mercinaries should be illegal and I think ads for the British armed forces count as just that.
Why? If people want to be mercenaries, why shouldn't they be allowed to be?

Personally, I think attempting to recruiting mercinaries should be illegal and I think ads for the British armed forces count as just that.
how do you define mercenary though? Where do you draw the line between "private bodyguard" and mercenary? e.g. If I'm a director of a engineering/construction company, and I win a major contract to rebuild an Iraqi city, and I plan on taking 200 staff with me, I'm going to want to hire a private security firm (maybe 3 or 4 guys) to protect my offices and the compound my staff are living in. Would you support the banning of all such private security firms? if so, why?

pluralist

Anyone (Irish or otherwise) mad enough to join the British or US armed services after the recent misadventure in Iraq needs their head examining, in my opinion. But I wouldn't stop them from doing so.

stringjack

Carrier said:
I don't think giving someone money in exchange for killing people is right. In fairness though, I didn't say that becoming a mercinary should be illegal, I said recruiting mercinaries should be.
Do you think soldiers should be paid? :wink:

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Carrier said:
I don't think giving someone money in exchange for killing people is right. In fairness though, I didn't say that becoming a mercinary should be illegal, I said recruiting mercinaries should be.
Carrier, how could you make recruiting mercenaries illegal, if you don't think being a mercenary is should be illegal ?

Carrier

Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
stringjack said:
Carrier said:
Do you think soldiers should be paid? :wink:
Fair enough, that was a bit of an over-simplification but there is a difference between paying a soldier for serving his country and some random army attempting to draw non-nationals into a war by flashing the cash.

*Sniff*

I smell a debate about what constitutes a nation!

Carrier

Website
www.newrepublicanforum.ie
Carrier, how could you make recruiting mercenaries illegal, if you don't think being a mercenary is should be illegal ?
What I'm saying is that ads attempting to draw Irish people into various armies should be banned. If, on the other hand, an Irish person goes abroad and while away decides to join the army of that country there's not a lot the Irish legislature can do about it. A bit like the abortion issue I suppose.

Bogwarrior

Lets be clear about these ads. They are a recent development, and are part of the British strategy, vis a vis, the peace process. It's part of a number of psychological operations aimed at normalising the British presence. A charm offensive, if you like. There is no recruitment problem in Britain, indeed whole regiments are being axed in Scotland, the military is being cutback like never before. It's all about showing images of happy, smiley Brits in the Irish media. It's unheard of for a foreign country to advertise for troops in another. Imagine the hoots of derision, if cinemas in Britain, showed ads for the French Navy. But then the Irish still haven't shook off their servile attitude to Britain, even after 80 years. BTW, I have already left one cinema that showed one of these ads, and got a refund. I never pay to be insulted, I get that free here.

There is no recruitment problem in Britain, indeed whole regiments are being axed in Scotland, the military is being cutback like never before
umm, I think you'll find that the primary reason for the cutbacks, is recruitment problems: they're amalgamating battalions into large regiments, so when a battalion doesn't have enough personnel to deploy overseas, it can second personnel from a sister battalion in the same regiment. The Royal Scots, for example, was unable to deploy overseas recently owing to recruitment shortages, and had to second two Gurkha companies. The larger single Scottish regiment will make that secondment process easier.

It's unheard of for a foreign country to advertise for troops in another.
What about the French Foreign Legion? Two-thirds of its members are French, but they have to actually leave France, to go into Belgium to sign up there.

Imagine the hoots of derision, if cinemas in Britain, showed ads for the French Navy.
There was a tv show on BBC a few years ago about a pair of Royal Marines who left the Brits in order to enlist as privates in the French Foreign Legion - they were looking for a greater challenge. The documentary showed them fighting with crocadiles crossing jungle rivers in Brazil!

They are a recent development, and are part of the British strategy, vis a vis, the peace process.
You know this how? Why are you assuming they are part of a political strategy, when they could just as easily be a result of current recruiting difficulties in Irish regiments? The UDR/Royal Irish Regiment suffered a major recruitment decline in the 90s following the 1994 ceasefires and the Drumcree standoffs (a fall in people from Loyalist areas joining it), and ended up having to take in hundreds of Fijians to make up for the losses. Surely, at least as likely an explanation for these ads, is that they are an attempt to make up for declining Loyalist enlistment by targetting members of the much larger Nationalist community on the island?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies