• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should foreigners pay an extra tax?

Concerned Irishman

With the country on its knees and many of our younger citizens fleeing our shores to Australia and Canada by the boatload, many would argue that we can scarce afford an influx of mass immigration of people without the skills or gumption to stand on their own two feet. Many complain that they are here to take advantage of our soft benefits system - and while I think the problem is overstated, it got me to thinking that a possible solution (and a way to get us out of the hole we are in) is to require that new immigrants make a small but not unsubtancial payment on arrival to the exchequer, and pay a immigrants tax annually until eligable for citizenship through naturalization.

This, I think, would slice down benefit scammers, and ensure that we only get people who willing to make a serious commitment. They would also be showing this commitment by helping us get out of the dreaded economic mess that the Germans and their cronies in the EU put us in!

I know some of the cranks on this site will probably jump down my neck for this, but think about it - what is wrong with asking for a solid commitment in this time of greatest need?

Congalltee

EU law on movement of workers and non-discrimination on grounds of nationality Discuss. (Or zoo).

Edit: What would you call such a tax: a visa or a master(race) card?

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Fully agree.

I would go further and make it illegal for them to use any language but english.

Far too many immigrants to Ireland refuse to try integrate and think they can retain their
home country culture.

Im critical of the catholic church in this matter which has provided religious services to the Polish community in their own language in ireland.

This should be stopped as it impedes integration of these foreigners into the wider community and retards their english learning skills.

Analyzer

Daft idea. It will cause more problems that it will solve.

Sync

EU law on movement of workers and non-discrimination on grounds of nationality Discuss. (Or zoo).
Yeah but APART from the law and common sense and simple fairness, why not do it?

Concerned Irishman

I'm aware of our commitments within the EU, but I was refering to people coming from outside of it

Clanrickard

Fully agree.

I would go further and make it illegal for them to use any language but english.
So they would be prosecuted if they spoke the national language?

Franzoni

Dunno about a tax but you could introduce some test for skilled workers like they have in Australia and Canada...a few grand to see if the are legit or to get badged up in whatever jobs they apply for would soon sort out the spoofers....

Concerned Irishman

Daft idea. It will cause more problems that it will solve.
Pray tell which problems you are referring to?

We should be completely up front about it to people who wish to come here. If they have a problem paying this, what is stopping them from going somewhere else?

The Field Marshal

An bhfuil tú ar meisce?
Nil me.
Caitfidh na immigrants bearhla a labhairt.

Muna labhrionn siad bearla isteach sna prisun leid.

Perhaps I should add that these immigrants should be not be punished if they learn and speak gaelic.

The bottem line is that the pervasive use of languages other then English or Irish on the island of Ireland hinders cultural integration
and as such should be outlawed or at least officially discouraged

The Field Marshal

So they would be prosecuted if they spoke the national language?
No.
The national language on the island of Ireland is english.

If you mean the first official language then its Irish.
Nobody speaking Irish should be prosecuted .

Cassandra Syndrome

No

The Field Marshal

Of course - why shouldn't they have to contribute?
All US citizens living in Ireland should have to pay an extra levy until their govt stops ratcheting up international tension and behaves sensibly.
[This levy would be waived for any US citizen who enrolled on a one year Irish language course and passed the exam].

Ernesto Guevara

What attracts foreign investment to Ireland is the low corporation tax breaks etc etc...
It would be ridiculous to pile an extra tax on the workers that that investment brings with it.

Popular Threads

Most Replies