• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should "gender balance" be a consideration in An Garda Siochana

R

Ramps

One-third of gardai will be women by next year - Independent.ie

Interesting article in today's SI (don't worry; it's not about Sinn Fein!) about a policy that has been pursued in recent years by our police force: increasing the number of female gardai.

According to the article, more than 1/3 of police will be female by the end of the year. This presents problems because (a) gardai who are pregnant (for good reason) are taken off "beat duty", reducing the number of gardai available to police the streets, and (b) female gardai are generally much weaker than men, leaving them and the general public at greater risk in certain situations, for example, in the case of a street brawl. (About a year ago, I saw two female gardai try to arrest a drunk on Parliament St.; it was, frankly, embarrassing, and one of their male colleagues had to intervene to subdue the bowsie.)

I think many people who use this site are in favour of gender quotas, but I wonder do they think that this is one profession, owing to the unique nature of the job, in which policies on "equality" should be disregarded?

Mossy Heneberry

No. they are not a good idea.

We should be selecting people to do the job based on their abilities, education, intelligence etc and not based on what is between their legs.

On the one hand we are told that men and women are equal when it comes to any job, then the same people tell us on the other hand that allowances have to be made for the fairer sex.

Ren84

Applicants should be accepted based on merit, not whether or not they have ovaries.

R

Ramps

We should be selecting people to do the job based on their abilities, education, intelligence etc and not based on what is between their legs.
I agree; but isn't the problem that if police were to be chosen purely on their abilities, the force would be made up almost entirely of men. I'm sure in certain "branches" of the police (in which jobs are taken up after a number of years of "regular" service) sex is not that great a consideration, but it would be very difficult for women to get their foot on the ladder at all were the principle of best man for the job applied.

ruserious

Applicants should be accepted based on merit, not whether or not they have ovaries.
I like it. Positive discrimination. Not your average discrimination based on whether she has a pair of balls.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Only if gender equality were achieved amongst law breakers first.

freewillie

Well now the lefty feminist right on crowd have had their way and have got the gender quotas of females into the guards. Maybe I,m wrong but if I am being robbed or my house being burgled I want a strong 5ft 9 upwards guard to come to my rescue and hopefully be able to dish out a bit of medicine if the scumbag criminal resists.
Its alright having gender equality in the USA when they have Smith and Wesson on their hips to even the score.

EUrJokingMeRight

And the teaching and nursing professions?

Gender quotas are discriminatory if the application is not universal across all professions.

Retail outlets, Hair salons, morkeshing, TV presenters, health care, education, administration....

you get the idea.

Rural

I like it. Positive discrimination. Not your average discrimination based on whether she has a pair of balls.
Policing is about more than tackling drunken bowsies to the ground and there are a lot of jobs that females would excel at that a male Garda wouldn't be able for - Calming frightened children for instance, sussing up a situation etc.

freewillie

Policing is about more than tackling drunken bowsies to the ground and there are a lot of jobs that females would excel at that a male Garda wouldn't be able for - Calming frightened children for instance, sussing up a situation etc.
Calming frightened children????? Dont male Gardai have any children?
Sussing up a situation? They''d have you sussed very quickly for the bluffer you are

Fractional Reserve

Blah Blah Blah . Female cops are useless when there is belting match and some of the males they have now are like matchstick dwarves they wouldn't put down a 12 year old child
Police women would be good at data input , doing a bit of community work , but keep them well away from punch ups or belting matches

EUrJokingMeRight

Good point; but what % (roughly) of police should be female.....30%? 25%? 15%? 10%? 5%? 0%?!!
Score each garda on what % they achieve during assessment and take the top N% every year, regardless of sex.

'N' being the required number as dictated by staffing policy.

Should be the same across the board in all professions.

Hitch 22

Wait until a pair of female garda are abducted and gang raped....

Years ago the Gardaí targeted strapping big farmers' sons with big fists for recruitment because of the Animal gangs who were running riot in the 1920s and 1930s in the slums of Dublin.

Fearsome men like Lugs Brannigan were given the job of cracking heads.

Why were the Gardaí respected years ago?

They earned it by beating the ever loving sh*t out of the scumbags.

In 1981 they fought the infamous battle of Ballsbridge when bus loads of PIRA descended on Dublin to attack the British embassy.

A wall of men in blue clobbered the republicans and chased them through houses and gardens battering the hell out of them.

In 1995 a gang of Combat 18 scum disrupted a game between England and Ireland at Landsdowne Road.

Once again the boys in blue beat them out the gate and ran them down back to the ferry to England.

I can remember vividly seeing female gardaí unable to cope with violent scum in 2006 during the Love Ulster riot.

[video=youtube;GtCSgdVp6Wk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtCSgdVp6Wk[/video]

hammer

Memories :)

Father was in the Garda line in Ballsbridge that day.

Come on you boys in blue !!!!

pippakin

I think the biggest potential problem for An Garda Siochana if they carry on recruiting as they appear to have been will be when they all need the same day off to go to the funeral of the same relative.

R

Ramps

Score each garda on what % they achieve during assessment and take the top N% every year, regardless of sex.

'N' being the required number as dictated by staffing policy.

Should be the same across the board in all professions.
And if the result of such a process were that, say, 95% of police were men, would most people live with that? I can't see Labour, SF, or the Greens wearing that, tbh...and the other 2 probably wouldn't either.

nonpartyboy

On the one hand we are told that men and women are equal when it comes to any job, then the same people tell us on the other hand that allowances have to be made for the fairer sex.
That's all well and good, but every female guard on maternity leave is one less guard at work, if 1/3 of the force is women and 10% of them are on maternity leave at any one time, that's 400 guards not available for work.

Now people will say, nurses, teachers etc......but replacements are available in the marketplace.......there are NO temp guards out there to cover these absences.

Just saying like.........

Nemesiscorporation

I believe it should be best applicant.

However in the case of the Garda, women have real problems getting a foot in the door if they do not have the right connections.

If they can recruit men and women from outside the cute heur network, then I think that is the best way to go.

Also there is a serious lack of women in the Garda and a lot of those who have been in the Garda for years are not exactly the sort of people who would pass a recuitment test in the PSNI.

In all honesty I would hand recruitment in the Garda over to the personal branch in the PSNI in the next recuitment drive for a couple of years, so as to remove as much bias as possible from the force to get more women into the force and more protestents.