• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should Gender-based Nightclub Prices be Stopped?

ruserious

We have all seen it. Nightclubs charging different prices for males and females including half price offers for females. In light of the change in rules regarding car insurance prices, is it time nightclubs be forced to accept gender equality rules? The fact is, there is often a higher barrier to entry for males based purely on gender. Had the shoe been on the other foot....
What say the board?

Rus

Sync

And if it IS ok, can clubs extend such a pricing structure to other stratifications i.e orientation/colour etc?

I'm only allowed to let in five percent black people. He said that, that means if there's 25 people here I get to let in one and a quarter black people. So I gotta hope there's a black midget in the crowd.

D

Dylan2010

I dont see a problem, they are a private businesses trying to make a profit by having a particular image and ambiance, Abercrombie for instance dont want fat people on their premises because they see is as bad for their image. Hardly a courts issue

Dame_Enda

Such discrimination is a relic of patriarchy and possibly illegal.

ruserious

I dont see a problem, they are a private businesses trying to make a profit by having a particular image and ambiance, Abercrombie for instance dont want fat people on their premises because they see is as bad for their image. Hardly a courts issue
There is no legal obligation for Abercrombie to provide products for all sizes. In the nightclub, they are placing barriers to entry which is considered illegal by equality legislation.

Congalltee

It's probably as illegal (equal status act) as hairdressers charging women more than men.

'orebel

R u serious?

Sync

It's probably as illegal (equal status act) as hairdressers charging women more than men.
Those are different services though. It takes in general longer to cut/colour a woman's hair to a man's. If you're a guy with 4 foot long hair and want it coloured you can expect to pay out as well.

I'm no expert on the laws around drinks licences, but I'd imagine that there would be some joy going to court citing some of the regulations there. I'm pretty sure travellers have done it in the past.

D

Dylan2010

There is no legal obligation for Abercrombie to provide products for all sizes. In the nightclub, they are placing barriers to entry which is considered illegal by equality legislation.
I dont care if they are breaking the law or not, its a dumb law if a business isnt allowed to maintain a particular image as they see.

that would be more silly , how many women ask for a No 2 sides and back :D

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Maybe they are not discriminating on gender grounds. Maybe they allow women in at a cheaper rate because they have a handbag, and will dance around it. It is a nightclub after all - a modern name for a dance hall. Why not bring a handbag with you the next time and see if you qualify for a cheaper rate? Or go in drag? Some people, they'd live in your ear and use the the wax, etc, etc, etc ...

Next week I can see the Sunday headlines. Rus in drag causes consternation ....

Nemesiscorporation

We have all seen it. Nightclubs charging different prices for males and females including half price offers for females. In light of the change in rules regarding car insurance prices, is it time nightclubs be forced to accept gender equality rules? The fact is, there is often a higher barrier to entry for males based purely on gender. Had the shoe been on the other foot....
What say the board?

Rus
That idiotic marketing technique is probably illegal under the equality act. It should have went out with the ark. It should be done away with. If a club can not treat men and women as equal, it should be shut down.

This thread reminds me of the days when boys used to stand around the edge of the disco and girls danced. I remember when the boys would have to get drunk to even talk to the girls. I wish I had forgotten that horrible memory.

Miss Fortune

O.P. chillout. Don't you think the Government determines and controls enough aspects of our lives? You want more politicalally correct idiocy? The same kind of idiocy that almost saw adverts for cheese being banned.

If you don't like nightclubs which favour one gender over another then don't go to those nightclubs. It's your choice.

Ribeye

No problem with the nightclub thing, it's their club, they can charge whatever they like to who ever they like,

And I'm really annoyed by the stupid insurance law the very foundation of the insurance industry is based on "discrimination" in order to calculate risk, the law is dead from the neck up,

Women are being ripped off,

'orebel

Those are different services though. It takes in general longer to cut/colour a woman's hair to a man's. If you're a guy with 4 foot long hair and want it coloured you can expect to pay out as well.
Colouring probably would cost the same but haircut price is vastly more expensive for a woman. Mrs 'o pays 65 for wash cut and blowdry (yes, crazy I know, but in the interests of household harmony I keep schtum) whereas a bloke would only pay 25.

'orebel

O.P. chillout. Don't you think the Government determines and controls enough aspects of our lives? You want more politicalally correct idiocy? The same kind of idiocy that almost saw adverts for cheese being banned.

If you don't like nightclubs which favour one gender over another then don't go to those nightclubs. It's your choice.
OP obviously doesn't have a girlfriend or he wouldn't be complaining.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
And Abercrombie only sell their products to the wretched wannabe hipster, though that may be more an observation of mine than actual policy.

Ribeye

And anyway, here's an example of how the "free for girls" nightclub promo benifits both men and women

A nightclub owner decides to charge €20 entry for everyone, demand is obviously low, and only 10 women pay, which, obviously mean that drunk havent much desire to go there, so only 20 guys pay in,

Crap night for all, especially the club owner who only takes €600 at the door and feck all at the bar,

But the other club down the road is run by a more clever owner, who knows that a club full of girls will attract fellas. He offers free entry for the ladies, and 100 tottle in, and charges €10 for the lads, and 150 of them shuffle in.

Great night had by all, especially the club owner who takes €1,500 on the door, and cleans up on the bar.

And even though the men had to pay €10, it was still €10 less than they would have had to pay at the other club.

Everyone's a winner:)

Appletinis for all:)

Ribeye

And Abercrombie only sell their products to the wretched wannabe hipster, though that may be more an observation of mine than actual policy.
As far as my limited knowledge of hipsters goes, wouldn't they rather die than be seen in something as mainstream as Applecrumble & Fish,

Ye gotta love hipsters,

flavirostris

I've been in a few spots recently that were top-heavy with guys. There has to be some way of getting the girls in there.

ShoutingIsLeadership

And anyway, here's an example of how the "free for girls" nightclub promo benifits both men and women

A nightclub owner decides to charge €20 entry for everyone, demand is obviously low, and only 10 women pay, which, obviously mean that drunk havent much desire to go there, so only 20 guys pay in,

Crap night for all, especially the club owner who only takes €600 at the door and feck all at the bar,

But the other club down the road is run by a more clever owner, who knows that a club full of girls will attract fellas. He offers free entry for the ladies, and 100 tottle in, and charges €10 for the lads, and 150 of them shuffle in.

Great night had by all, especially the club owner who takes €1,500 on the door, and cleans up on the bar.

And even though the men had to pay €10, it was still €10 less than they would have had to pay at the other club.

Everyone's a winner:)

Appletinis for all:)
The logical extension of this reasoning is that he charges nobody an entry fee! That will attract even more men

Popular Threads

Most Replies