• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should governments create a DNA/Finger Print database of all citizens?

sport02

So what do you think? A database of DNA/Finger prints of all citizens of a country to try eradicate crime levels.
If you have nothing to hide, well you have nothing to fear. It's a fairly straight foward question, was out today for Mothers day and was talking about this with some friends and family, a database of all citizens DNA/Finger Prints. I'm not going to create a long OP, as I have no real issue with the concept.

A good idea, or an intrusion too far? It would bring down crime levels surely.

damus

So what do you think? A database of DNA/Finger prints of all citizens of a country to try eradicate crime levels.
If you have nothing to hide, well you have nothing to fear. It's a fairly straight foward question, out today for Mothers day and was talking about this with some friends and family, a database of all citizens DNA/Finger Prints. I'm not going to create a long OP, as I have no real issue with the concept.

A good idea, or an intrusion too far? It would bring down crime.
Oh I could imagine - some staff member trying to sell the info to dubious private dicks who are working for other dubious companies.

ger12

Yes, an intrusion too far.

PlanetBertie

You could begin by hooking up all Government ministers to portable lie detection kits. Start at the top and work down. Feel free to include all bankers, bond holders and major share holders in your scheme.

seabhcan

If you have nothing to hide, well you have nothing to fear. It's a fairly straight foward question, was out today for Mothers day and was talking about this with some friends and family, a database of all citizens DNA/Finger Prints. I'm not going to create a long OP, as I have no real issue with the concept.

Would it actually help reduce crime levels? The vast majority of crime in Ireland doesn't involve DNA or fingerprint evidence at all. For example; public order offenses, fraud, most theft, etc.

Analyzer

Why ?

Even when the authorities know who committed the crime, there is no place in the prisons to keep them !!!

And apart from anything else, the Irish state is so corrupt, that the relevant information could be stolen and used to plant somebody.

How would McBrearty dealt with this ?

It does not take DNA analysis to see what went wrong with the biggest theivery of all - the abuse of the taxpayers money to bail out gamblers, and to prop up useless quangos.

tigerben

Sure why not micro chip babies at birth! The prisons can not cope with the amount of criminals they have already , with out pinpointing the person who committed a crime. Then we could get rid of the Gardaí and renamed them DNA catcher control , and spend a couple of million on signage. As for combating fraud, it's seems if caught defrauding SW here means , a small payment return on what your entitled to claim, instead of cutting off from SW.

sport02

Would it actually help reduce crime levels? The vast majority of crime in Ireland doesn't involve DNA or fingerprint evidence at all. For example; public order offenses, fraud, most theft, etc.
I don't have any statistics on crime in this country, but what if it eradicated or brought to justice the very serious crimes alot more.

RobertW

. . .and just like the water meters the government will make you pay for your own DNA test.

Following on from which the announcement of a "telomere levy" will occur in Budget 2014

Special tax rates will be setup liable to every citizen of the state where increasing taxation rates will occur at a rate inversely proportional to telomere shortening at the end of a specific chromosome (yet to be determined by the Minister for Finance)

This will allow Noonan and Kenny to say "our plan is working" as the state takes control of the wallets of the serfs citizens.

D

Dylan2010

I'd agree with Analyzer, threre isnt a problem catching criminals, its keeping them in prison. The next old lady beaten and robbed will just have been attacked by someone with a hundred priors instead of the current seventy

seabhcan

I don't have any statistics on crime in this country, but what if it eradicated or brought to justice the very serious crimes alot more.
I'm not sure it would. DNA evidence gets a lot of air time on the likes of CSI, but in reality its rare that it is used to find a criminal the police didn't previously suspect. In real life DNA is used to prove someone commited the crime, rather than to find them in the first place. I'm not sure having a database of millions of dna codes would help much - and it would divert resources away from things that actually would help - boring things like proper internet for garda stations, and proper communication equipment.

seabhcan

I'd agree with Analyzer, threre isnt a problem catching criminals, its keeping them in prison.
Its not that either. The real problem is that a significant minority in this country dont give a crap. They don't find prison in any way a punishment. They go in and out and in again over their life and they just dont care. Its a lifestyle.

damus

Sure why not micro chip babies at birth! The prisons can not cope with the amount of criminals they have already , with out pinpointing the person who committed a crime. Then we could get rid of the Gardaí and renamed them DNA catcher control , and spend a couple of million on signage. As for combating fraud, it's seems if caught defrauding SW here means , a small payment return on what your entitled to claim, instead of cutting off from SW.
+1. €5 a week taken out of €188 - many would possibly see it as worth the risk!

sport02

What about fingerprinting all tourists and visitors to Ireland also?

sport02

I remember when I was about seven or eight, my parents moved to a new house. Fairly spanky. We were burgled twice in six months. They nicked everything, smashed in all the back windows, left lots of finger prints. Would a database not find the "petty crims"?

seabhcan

I remember when I was about seven or eight, my parents moved to a new house. Fairly spanky. We were burgled twice in six months. They nicked everything, smashed in all the back windows, left lots of finger prints. Would a database not find the "petty crims"?
Even petty criminals these days are clued in enough to wear gloves (for fingerprints) and a balaclava (for the CCTV). They watch CSI too.

Analyzer

Its not that either. The real problem is that a significant minority in this country dont give a crap. They don't find prison in any way a punishment. They go in and out and in again over their life and they just dont care. Its a lifestyle.
Is it Wheatfield or Mountjoy that costs more per night, than the Gresham ?

And probably more expensive than the rest of the hotels in Ireland as well, apart from Ashford Castle, Straffan, and Adare Manor (which are for super rich anyway).

seabhcan

Is it Wheatfield or Mountjoy that costs more per night, than the Gresham ?

And probably more expensive than the rest of the hotels in Ireland as well, apart from Ashford Castle, Straffan, and Adare Manor (which are for super rich anyway).
What we need is some other kind of punishment. Even something that wouldn't seem particularly bad to us upstanding citizens but would scare the ************************e out of scumbags. Farm work on Inishmore comes to mind.

pippakin

A step too far and not of much use in solving cyber crime which appears to be a growing menace.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies