Should I apply for an Irish passport?

yellowfish

Something I have been mulling over for some time since the Brexit vote. As a British citizen resident in the Republic for some time would I be wise to apply for an Irish passport- one to secure residency from the mad fulminations that could emanate from a mismanaged hard Brexit and two to make life easier all around.
I have googled for advise, I find nothing from the Irish Govt and frankly anything from the British Govt is meaningless given how little they seem to know about what they can achieve- am i in danger of becoming along with other British migrants in the EU a negotiator's pawn?
Lots of advise for Irish living in Britain but it is not all transferable and frankly in My opinion relies far too much on the common sense and goodwill of two parties who may soon be at eachothers throats.
I have no Irish roots other than the child born here and the house, job and my activities in the community- not even sure I would get a passport.
Any one a view on this? Am I safe in my new home? Bare in mind getting citizenship is not cheap and my wife and i would both need it.
Thoughts.

Strawberry

Something I have been mulling over for some time since the Brexit vote. As a British citizen resident in the Republic for some time would I be wise to apply for an Irish passport- one to secure residency from the mad fulminations that could emanate from a mismanaged hard Brexit and two to make life easier all around.
I have googled for advise, I find nothing from the Irish Govt and frankly anything from the British Govt is meaningless given how little they seem to know about what they can achieve- am i in danger of becoming along with other British migrants in the EU a negotiator's pawn?
Lots of advise for Irish living in Britain but it is not all transferable and frankly in My opinion relies far too much on the common sense and goodwill of two parties who may soon be at eachothers throats.
I have no Irish roots other than the child born here and the house, job and my activities in the community- not even sure I would get a passport.
Any one a view on this? Am I safe in my new home? Bare in mind getting citizenship is not cheap and my wife and i would both need it.
Thoughts.
I think if you've lived here for 5 years or more you can apply for Irish citizenship. I doubt you have anything to worry about though, its the British government who have gone insane not the Irish. They're not about to start deporting Brits.

RasherHash

Thoughts.
That would be a wise and relatively inexpensive precaution ;)

stakerwallace

Get on to Willie O' Dea

gijoe

I really think this passport thing is really overkill. There is already the pre existing common travel area so your right's in this country are not affected. Getting an Irish passport 'might' only be useful sometime down the road if you intend to work/live elsewhere in the EU. Its not going to affect travel etc. But await the outcome of the Brexit negotiations before going to that expense as naturalisation is not cheap nowdays - the best part of a couple of grand I believe all in.

PS you would get the passport with being here over 5 years and having a clean record.

Ex celt

The 1M Irish living in Britain must apply for British Passports to avoid internment during the forthcoming conflict.

Truth.ie

Thoughts.
British citizens lived and worked in Ireland long before the EU.
Dont listen to Project Fear.

'orebel

British citizens lived and worked in Ireland long before the EU.
Dont listen to Project Fear.
There may be travel restrictions within the EU if you are travelling on a UK passport. Working there might require a visa.

yellowfish

Thanks for the replies so far- it is an expensive option. Frankly its one I had never considered at all, I was from the EU, Ireland is in the EU- case closed.
But that's all going to change. I am off to school/shop, cheers for now.

'orebel

€2250 for himself and his wife.
@ yellowfish

There are probably other hidden costs and the hassle of gathering all the proofs of residency, employment etc.

Why not just wait for the results of the second referendum? ;)

Ex celt

There may be travel restrictions within the EU if you are travelling on a UK passport. Working there might require a visa.
There will be no travel restrictions for uk citizens.
The EU will have to capitulate to every demand made by UK in any negotiations which actually do not have to take place. The UK just has to state its position and we can proceed from there. The UK should not give the EU any concessions and should set out the hard facts of life to the EU commisariat.

'orebel

New Threads

Most Replies