Should IMFF be allowed change Taoiseach again before election ?

James Healy

It seems that IMFF are going to attempt to present us with a third Taoiseach before General election. Will Dail and the people stand for this-get rid of the Clowen and present the people with a third incumbent to save some FF seats,and have a more decent looking head and photo on the election posters ? This will be a true test of our democracy. Sean Power said today this was their intention on Kildare FM. Will the Vegetables stand by in Dail and allow this to happen I wonder.

setanta

Sean Power a vegetable ... quite possibly. How this constitutes the IMF attempting to present us with a third Taoiseach in order to save FF seats is not clear from your OP. As far as I see, the IMF couldn't care less one way or another who implements their strictures so long as they are implemented.

Asparagus

It seems that IMFF are going to attempt to present us with a third Taoiseach before General election. Will Dail and the people stand for this-get rid of the Clowen and present the people with a third incumbent to save some FF seats,and have a more decent looking head and photo on the election posters ? This will be a true test of our democracy. Sean Power said today this was their intention on Kildare FM. Will the Vegetables stand by in Dail and allow this to happen I wonder.
Cowen dismisses resignation claim - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 24, 2010

Cowen clinging on

James Healy

Sean Power a vegetable ... quite possibly. How this constitutes the IMF attempting to present us with a third Taoiseach in order to save FF seats is not clear from your OP. As far as I see, the IMF couldn't care less one way or another who implements their strictures so long as they are implemented.
I did not say the IMF. I am talking about de party who might save a few more seats with a new beginning with a friendlier face on the posters !

H.R. Haldeman

Cowen and the FF leadership are almost entirely irrelevant, with the minor exception of its importance to the most tribal of inside-the-Beltway FFers. It simply does not matter.

johnfás

There is a small chance they will change the leadership of Fianna Fáil - they won't change the Taoiseach, because they simply cannot.

mistercrabs

I think IMFF is supposed to be an insulting sobriquet for Fianna Fail.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
It's an interesting point though.
They won't want Cowen to lead them into the election. They need a new leader before then. Will they try to foist the new leader on the house as Taoiseach? Presumably any such shenanigans would happen after the budget is passed.
I think any such attempt would fail. So I don't think they'd try it.
We'd have Cowen as Taoiseach, and someone else leading FF.

James Healy

Cowen and the FF leadership are almost entirely irrelevant, with the minor exception of its importance to the most tribal of inside-the-Beltway FFers. It simply does not matter.
But if they get away with it, we might as well jump over the cliff ourselves.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Question:
How long does it take FF to choose a new leader? AFAIK, the vote is confined to TDs. So in theory it could all happen inside a day, unless I'm mistaken.

Skyrocket

The question is who would want to preside over an election bloodbath for FF. Then again, I'm sure there's a few who would take the job just to have the status of being Taoiseach for a few weeks

James Healy

Question:
How long does it take FF to choose a new leader? AFAIK, the vote is confined to TDs. So in theory it could all happen inside a day, unless I'm mistaken.

I think it would have to take some days, they have to give time and reasonable notice for runners to declare etc. You are right its only the TDs who can vote.

flavirostris

IMFF will do whatever it takes to limit the damage in the forthcoming election, including dumping Bozo.

The party always come first and he should know that as somebody who never failed to put tribal interests before the country during his tenure as MOF and Taoiseach.

The goal now is to try and limit the period in opposition to one term so IMFF can be back to plunder the public finances again once the economy has begun to recover.

setanta

I did not say the IMF. I am talking about de party who might save a few more seats with a new beginning with a friendlier face on the posters !
Oh, I see now. IMFF ... goddit!

Tomas Mor

I doubt if FF will attempt this, they know the Dail would not ratify it. As for having a new leader and Biffo to remain as Taoiseach for the few weeks, well that would be pushing out the boundaries a lot.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I doubt if FF will attempt this, they know the Dail would not ratify it. As for having a new leader and Biffo to remain as Taoiseach for the few weeks, well that would be pushing out the boundaries a lot.
Pushing the boundaries alright, but the alternative is to run in the election under Cowen.

Strange days indeed. Most peculiar mama.

Fr. Hank Tree

I had a thread on this the other day. There's been a bit of FF kite flying lately about maybe changing leader while keeping Cowen as chairman Taoiseach.

FF having it both ways as usual, use Cowen to absorb all the flack in the name of stability in the national interest until the budgetary process is over blah blah blah. Meanwhile, the new leader talks about mistakes made and change and hope with Cowen as a shield. We could see a new FF leader in January but only an election in March or even April. In other words, for about a month or two, Cowen will be good enough for the rest of us, but not FF.

Of course, I want Cowen to lead FF into the next election. We never voted for him. We had to put up with him on the basis that we would eventually get a vote on him. Now we are being denied that opportunity. FF will scapegoat him after the budget and the new leader will distance themselves from him.

But even i'd be willing to accept a leadership change if it meant an immediate election too. FF won't allow this to happen though. They'll drag it out.

Last edited:

Tomas Mor

Pushing the boundaries alright, but the alternative is to run in the election under Cowen.

Strange days indeed. Most peculiar mama.
He was made FF leader by acclamation on say so of Bertie, and now they are stuck with him. Trying to rectify it now at one minute to midnight is hardly good enough.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies