Should Ireland be allowed to veto a British trade deal with the EU

darkhorse

Ireland is a small country
Should it have the right to veto a British/EU trade deal or scupper the UK economy?

Old Mr Grouser

Apparently the Republic does have that right, both as a member of the EU and under the GFA; and the possibility does strengthen Ireland's hand in any negotiations with the UK, and within the EU.

Actually doing so would be a different thing altogether, because of the possible blow-back on cross-channel trade.

D

Deleted member 48908

Allowed to?!

Are you high? It is our right and privilege to do so if we so choose.

Allowed to....ffs.

Strawberry

Should it have the right to veto a British/EU trade deal or scupper the UK economy?
Small countries have just as much right to protect their national interests as large ones. We should use our veto without hesitation if Britain doesn't come up with a compromise that can keep the border open.

stopdoingstuff

Yes we should. We should be able to veto the living shyte out of anything that is legally within the scope of our powers of veto. That goes for a Brexit deal or anything else. No doubt the Euronazis would be delighted if we did so (since they hate the UK), but don't be fooled by those ************************s, because we would have no veto at all if some of them had their way (unless it was the kind of veto where we can use it as long as we agree to change our mind when asked again). Fk the Brits and fk the EU. Ireland first.

Karloff

Maybe Varadkar the poppy wearer doesn't want to be put into that position and is happy to trigger a general election and be replaced.

Ireniall

I don't think we could use it unless we had some sort of acceptance of our stance from our partners. I don't think we would want to find ourselves in conflict with both the EU and the UK. If the EU decide that they can't hold up going on to the next phase any longer then I don't think that we could do it in those circumstances. So I hope Leo isn't getting his lines crossed with Europe. Threatening to use it and generally rejecting the shyte that the UK is shoveling in our direction is absolutely right of course.

Ireniall

Yes we should. We should be able to veto the living shyte out of anything that is legally within the scope of our powers of veto. That goes for a Brexit deal or anything else. No doubt the Euronazis would be delighted if we did so (since they hate the UK), but don't be fooled by those ************************s, because we would have no veto at all if some of them had their way (unless it was the kind of veto where we can use it as long as we agree to change our mind when asked again). Fk the Brits and fk the EU. Ireland first.
That's not Ireland first. That's Ireland on her own. Have we not had a thousand years of history to teach us what folly that is?

Civic_critic2

The combined population of Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya and Serbia is 102 million. Does the UK have the right to bomb the sh1t out of them?

Mickeymac

Small countries have just as much right to protect their national interests as large ones. We should use our veto without hesitation if Britain doesn't come up with a compromise that can keep the border open.

Strawbs, I am no expert on such things......but common sense tells me if Britain were serious about an honorable exit from the EU, the Irish border should have been the British priority for resolution given their infamous "links" to Ireland and being their closest neighbours should have been able to render a proposal to the EU which would have been acceptable to all sides.

All the Brits have done up to now is parroted a wish list of boring repetition of "we don't want a hard border" and they expect the countries of the EU to accept such stupidity as a resolution.............total incompetence and/or simply want their cake and eat it.

Mickeymac

The combined population of Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya and Serbia is 102 million. Does the UK have the right to bomb the sh1t out of them?

The British and the North of Ireland taxpayers need to be aware, (whether they like it or not) support such bombings through their tax contributions to the British treasury.

ScoobyDoo

The British and the North of Ireland taxpayers need to be aware, (whether they like it or not) support such bombings through their tax contributions to the British treasury.
The EU supports Yank + Brit bombings in middle East.

Ireland fully fledged member of EU, Irish taxpayers need to be aware they support such bombings.

Dame_Enda

Under the Lisbon Treaty, the final withdrawal deal is subject to QMV. In practice though the EU Council of Ministers seldom holds votes, preferring to act by unanimity.

hollandia

Under the Lisbon Treaty, the final withdrawal deal is subject to QMV. In practice though the EU Council of Ministers seldom holds votes, preferring to act by unanimity.
Correct. I think the op means "should Ireland veto moving to talks about a British trade deal?", which of course we can do.

That's how I interpreted it, anyway.

Catalpast

IIRC we have never used our Veto

If Merkel; Macron & Tusk give it their Legal Imprimatur

- then the Deal will be done

Ireland will be offered a Financial package as way of Compensation

Leo or Martin would bottle it

- rather than take on Brussels.

Dame_Enda

I strongly disagree with the govts tactics in these negotiations. Sure we want Irish citizens to be able to move throughout the island. But in the absence of border checks (even automated ones rather than checkpoints), how are we to police illegal immigration and smuggling? These negotiations are an opportunity to tackle this problem. The bosses-party doesnt want that because of cheap labour. I would support a swipe-card system to verify citizenship before crossing the border.

Its also possible that even if a deal is reached, the govt may decide to put it to a referendum - something I am opposed to unless it grants more power to the EU. You can be sure forces opposed to Brexit will swarm to this country to try to get us to block it - and they may have some Establishment and SF support. But a rejection would risk the UK crashing out of the EU without a deal, which would be much more harmful to the economy than with one.

New Threads

Most Replies