• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Should Ireland Create Strategic Partnerships with other Small States?

stopdoingstuff

I would agree with most of that but I see the State having a role of facilitating the promotion of relationships.
There is definitely some role for the state- something one has to organize the party.

LamportsEdge

Seems a natural direction to head in- the only challenge I would see is the 'blocker' being phoned into a Minister from some of our 'bigger' trading partners.

Germany and others won't like the peripheral states going offside and not checking in with the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Mind you they'll get around that by imposing German policy as European policy from Berlin to Brussels direct.

But the idea is sound and of course the US and EU have been doing this for years- at the UN it is standard practice to go around tipping the nod and wink to Pacific states with a vote if you want to counteract some other large bloc vote.

The Pacific American Health Organisation (PAHO) exists because the US didn't like the idea of aligning health policy to the World Health Organisation 'one state one vote' system run out of Geneva.

But the principle is sound and has been since the island states of Attica used this system to balance the ambitions of Athens and also Persia.

skiii

The countries below have populations below six million and over three million:

Tibet 5,700,000 108
Sierra Leone 5,525,000 109
Nicaragua 5,487,000 110
Denmark 5,431,000 111
Slovakia 5,401,000 112
Kyrgyzstan 5,264,000 113
Finland 5,249,000[7] 114
Turkmenistan 4,833,000 115
Norway 4,620,000[8] 116
Croatia 4,551,000 117
United Arab Emirates 4,496,000 118
Georgia 4,474,000 119
Eritrea 4,401,000 120
Costa Rica 4,327,000 121
Singapore 4,326,000 122
Moldova 4,206,000 123
Ireland 4,148,000 123
Central African Republic 4,038,000 124
New Zealand 4,028,000 125
Republic of the Congo 3,999,000 126
Bosnia and Herzegovina 3,907,000 128
Lebanon 3,577,000 130
Uruguay 3,463,000 131
Lithuania 3,431,000 132
Liberia 3,283,000 133
Panama 3,232,000 134
Albania 3,130,000 135
Mauritania 3,069,000 136
Armenia 3,016,000
Shure if it wasn't for all the oul' abuse,we'd be as good as any of them.

ruserious

Seems a natural direction to head in- the only challenge I would see is the 'blocker' being phoned into a Minister from some of our 'bigger' trading partners.

Germany and others won't like the peripheral states going offside and not checking in with the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Mind you they'll get around that by imposing German policy as European policy from Berlin to Brussels direct.

But the idea is sound and of course the US and EU have been doing this for years- at the UN it is standard practice to go around tipping the nod and wink to Pacific states with a vote if you want to counteract some other large bloc vote.

The Pacific American Health Organisation (PAHO) exists because the US didn't like the idea of aligning health policy to the World Health Organisation 'one state one vote' system run out of Geneva.

But the principle is sound and has been since the island states of Attica used this system to balance the ambitions of Athens and also Persia.
Without going into a German rant, would you care to expand further on the merits of the system?

ruserious

So no opinions on this whatsover? Sigh....

Nemesiscorporation

Much of the discourse in contemporary international finance suggests that countries are in a rush to open and boost relations with the BRIC countries as they are believed to be the next major economic hubs.

Small states like ours will most likely get little headway with these growing powers due to our small influence.

So I pose the question: Should Ireland Create Strategic Partnerships with other Small States?

Ireland is not publicised around the world outside of the major economic hubs. An example of this is from a Taiwan person I know who prior to coming to Ireland, believed we were part of the UK.

So this OP suggests that we should create these strategic partnerships with small states in order to enhance our reputation in the region and claim some early markets which will inevitably grow in a resulting economic boom of the BRICs due to a flying geese paradigm.

The following are a list of States I think we could create partnerships with:

• Estonia
  • Uruguay
  • Malaysia
  • Namibia
  • Azerbaijan

The partnerships would involve trade missions and perhaps donating expertise from this country to help develop those countries into a stable modern liberal democratic state (I know Estonia already is..). Note, no monetary financing per say, just expertise and perhaps trade agreements if the WTO allows it.

Each of the forementioned States are located near large emerging markets. They will not have the same competition as the BRICs and, if we can develop our presence in these countries, there would be many bordering countries willing to engage with Ireland.

We need to be smart with our economic recovery. Rushing blindfolded into the BRIC's just because the WSJ says so is foolish.

There are of course many other countries I could have mentioned, and if you feel I left out an obvious one, please share.

I will finish on this: Concentrating all our trade with the EU and the BRIC's going forward ignores the vast potential that is out there which would have less international competition.

What say's the board?

Rus.
Good idea.

Ireland should build on its already good relationship with Finland and Estonia. Also Ireland would do well to court Austria who is a key player influence wise in the Balkans and Central Europe.

In Europe I think Ireland should concentrate upon,

Estonia,
Finland,
Austria,
Croatia,
Switzerland,
Norway,
Poland,
Czech republic,
Singapore,
China,
Brazil,
Australia,
Japan,

For starters :)

ruserious

Good idea.

Ireland should build on its already good relationship with Finland and Estonia. Also Ireland would do well to court Austria who is a key player influence wise in the Balkans and Central Europe.

In Europe I think Ireland should concentrate upon,

Estonia,
Finland,
Austria,
Croatia,
Switzerland,
Norway,
Poland,
Czech republic,
Singapore,
China,
Brazil,
Australia,
Japan,

For starters :)
Most of those countries are in the EU or are the BRIC's themselves! Everything the OP was against! :confused::)

Nemesiscorporation

Most of those countries are in the EU or are the BRIC's themselves! Everything the OP was against! :confused::)
Yup.

Thing is, I would like Ireland to have various partnerships in conjunction with being in the EU that would strengthen Ireland's position, economically, status wise and in general raise the status of the country, both within and outside the EU on the global stage.

I am sick and tired of Ireland always being the poster boy for sitting nice and quiet, while getting nothing in return. Ireland needs to grow some claws and teeth.

Why aim for the bottom when you can aim for the top?

Nemesiscorporation

Actually if Ireland started to build stronger ties with central European countries, then Germany might not only not oppose those ties but actually help in the process.

It would be in Germany's best interest to have peripheral countries build better ties with the center and other sides of the EU. Merkel talked about that a couple of years back, if I can remember correctly.

ruserious

Actually if Ireland started to build stronger ties with central European countries, then Germany might not only not oppose those ties but actually help in the process.

It would be in Germany's best interest to have peripheral countries build better ties with the center and other sides of the EU. Merkel talked about that a couple of years back, if I can remember correctly.
It's all very well building up ties in the EU27 but you will face the same competition from every corner and while competition is good, we need to be first into new emerging markets that are located near the Brics to benefit from the growth of the region.

Clanrickard

We should try and build relationships with Spain, Portugal and Greece and come up with a common position. Ollie is lecturing us again to day about commitment but in reality it is bluster to hide the fact that the EU is clueless about a path out of this mess.

ruserious

We should try and build relationships with Spain, Portugal and Greece and come up with a common position. Ollie is lecturing us again to day about commitment but in reality it is bluster to hide the fact that the EU is clueless about a path out of this mess.
In some ways, that would be like getting off the Titanic and jumping aboard Lusitania.

Clanrickard

In some ways, that would be like getting off the Titanic and jumping aboard Lusitania.
No it wouldn't. Individually Rehn and the gnomes in Berlin can brush people off. Not so easy brush off 4 countries.

Little_Korean

What would be our leverage? Or common aims?

ruserious

Ireland should use it's position as the president of the council of europe to seek out new relationships around the world.

Kommunist

I'm so confused by the proposition of this thread. Currently you want "strategic partnerships" with individual nations.

First of all, Estonia is in NATO. Promoting a "strategic" partnership would only drag Ireland into the American sphere of influence, (something arguably maintaining it's position in the EU, Ireland has been trying to avoid?) Secondly, Estonia is already in the EU as well, what strategic friendship could the two nations have that they already don't have?

In relation to the other nations - Some of the most random countries I have seen. The thing you are proposing is basically economic friendships & treaties with other nations - But does Ireland not do this in trade naturally?

Essentially you are proposing trading with other peripheral nations such as Ireland, but what would the nation of Ireland truly have to offer to such peripheral nations that other trading giants don't offer in perks and such? I know that for fact, should a country be in the 'good books' of the US then they will benefit from grants and consistent aid and the like.. Ireland does not have huge economic power, huge military power, huge international standing, Ireland possesses a unique stand point in international politics however that has never been exploited.

A very carefully balanced neutrality that is also in the process of teaching i.e Not biased towards the Western of Eastern blocs (US/UK/FRANCE v Russia/China) - Perhaps focusing on exchanging students & presenting Ireland in a stronger role in the non-aligned movement could gain it a strong reputation?

ruserious

In relation to the other nations - Some of the most random countries I have seen. The thing you are proposing is basically economic friendships & treaties with other nations - But does Ireland not do this in trade naturally?
Estonia as mentioned in the OP was for a special relationship within the EU so long as it was legally allowed.

All the other countries I mentioned are located next to large emerging economic hubs. Natural spillover effects from the economic hubs means these countries should benefit and I think Ireland should be the first into these countries from the EU to gain the comparative advantage as I believe the BRIC counties are over subscribed to competition.

ruserious

Not sure what the point is in specifically targeting countries that have the same size population as us.
Arent you supposed to target countries that have stuff you need and need stuff you have ?
Precisely, which is why emerging markets like those listed in the OP will require more and more stuff as they modernise.
We could stand to gain by being the first country in there, rather than rushing into the BRICs.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies