Should Ireland Follow Scotland's Minimum Price For Booze Law?

gleeful

Minimum price is an odd concept. Basically mandated minimum profit margin for retail. Why not just have an alcohol tax? Then the extra money goes to the state instead of to tesco.

raetsel

Iceland solved their youth drinking problem and pricing wasn’t part of the 5 point plan at all.
Really? The price of alcohol in Iceland is horrendous. I understand though that it's cheaper in the off licences so they get tanked up at home and then go out on a pub crawl. There's even an Icelandic word for the practice.

mr_anderson

Iceland solved their youth drinking problem and pricing wasn’t part of the 5 point plan at all.

Have you seen the price of alcohol in Iceland ?
I went through their 'duty-free' last year en route to the USA.
Was more expensive than your average Tesco.

These are off-licence prices.

330ml can of local beer: US$2 to US$3
500ml can of local beer: US$2.50 to US$4
Cheapest bottle of wine: US$10 to US$12
.7L bottle of off-brand vodka: US$30
.7L bottle of mid-level brand vodka: US$50

https://www.priceoftravel.com/3783/iceland-how-much-things-cost-how-to-visit-on-a-low-budget/

raetsel

Quoted minimum of 50p per unit = ~€0.60

1 pint beer = 2 units = €1.20
1 wine bottle = 10 units = €6

You'd have to be drinking some pish to be imbibing for less than that, in the Republic at least.
The point is that you're not comparing like with like. Salaries are higher in the Republic than they are in Scotland.
I used NI as the standard in the opening post, but Scotland is very similar in terms of prices and wages.
The issue is that both Ireland and Scotland have a problem with drink culture compared to most other European countries. That may suggest that booze is still far too cheap.
It is not uncommon to see people vomiting and p1ssing on the streets of both countries' towns and cities at weekends. If you ever see that at all in the cities of Europe then the chances are that they will be Irish or British.

flavirostris

Hard to see it as anything other than a sop to the pub trade who have been campaigning for such a move.

raetsel

I spend a lot of time in Catalunya, where booze is pretty cheap, and other than tourists, I rarely see a drunk. Interestingly, 98% of drink driving cases in Spain result in convictions.
I've been holidaying in Italy pretty regularly since 1979 so I'm equally familiar with it, and it is the same story. The Italians look down on drunks.
Of topic, I've recently taken an interest in Spain and finally got to visit Madrid last month for the first time. Apart from a holiday near Malaga years ago and a week in Barcelona I have little experience of the place. In the past the marketing emphasis there seemed to be more on costa holidays which never appealed to us, and it overshadowed a lot of the country's gems. There are at least three or four of those within an hour or so by train from Madrid. I'm planning to go back in the autumn.

Lagertha

What Scotland has done is farcical. It won't help anyone. If anything all it will do is hurt those who are dependent on an alcoholic who is the families main breadwinner. Someone who has a drink problem will sacrifice other things to pay for the booze. There will be some shops close to the border that will shut because people will cross the border for cheaper booze. It's doing something to be seen to be doing something and no good will come of it.

statsman

I've been holidaying in Italy pretty regularly since 1979 so I'm equally familiar with it, and it is the same story. The Italians look down on drunks.
Of topic, I've recently taken an interest in Spain and finally got to visit Madrid last month for the first time. Apart from a holiday near Malaga years ago and a week in Barcelona I have little experience of the place. In the past the marketing emphasis there seemed to be more on costa holidays which never appealed to us, and it overshadowed a lot of the country's gems. There are at least three or four of those within an hour or so by train from Madrid. I'm planning to go back in the autumn.
If you do end up doing a 'costa' make it the Costa Brave, with gems like Tossa de Mar and the wonderful old city of Girona very near to hand.

Niall996

Have you seen the price of alcohol in Iceland ?
I went through their 'duty-free' last year en route to the USA.
Was more expensive than your average Tesco.

These are off-licence prices.

330ml can of local beer: US$2 to US$3
500ml can of local beer: US$2.50 to US$4
Cheapest bottle of wine: US$10 to US$12
.7L bottle of off-brand vodka: US$30
.7L bottle of mid-level brand vodka: US$50

https://www.priceoftravel.com/3783/iceland-how-much-things-cost-how-to-visit-on-a-low-budget/
Yeah but those prices were there when they had a huge problem as well. So clearly price does not seem to be the main element. If it's even an element at all.

Hunter-Gatherer

Go and Google 'gin lane' by hogarth. In the 1700s the epidemic of binge drinking in gin palaces was eradicated by aggressive taxation. So it does work

Lagertha

Go and Google 'gin lane' by hogarth. In the 1700s the epidemic of binge drinking in gin palaces was eradicated by aggressive taxation. So it does work
Go and Google the differences between the 1700's and the 21st century and see how aggressive taxation won't work.

Hunter-Gatherer

Ireland's booze statistics are off the Richter scale. Makes the Russians look sober. Contrast us to all the beautiful people around the Mediterranean.

We need more tax on all the stupidity, liver disease , puking , drink drivers , ugly fat pugs , anti social behaviour , working days lost , healthcare bills , fights at the chipper , unwanted pregnancies and std's etc etc

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
Ireland's booze statistics are off the Richter scale. Makes the Russians look sober. Contrast us to all the beautiful people around the Mediterranean.

We need more tax on all the stupidity, liver disease , puking , drink drivers , ugly fat pugs , anti social behaviour , working days lost , healthcare bills , fights at the chipper , unwanted pregnancies and std's etc etc
not true in a list of countries with the highest alcohol comsumption were number 21 of 25 1 being the highest

Hunter-Gatherer

not true in a list of countries with the highest alcohol comsumption were number 21 of 25 1 being the highest
Big countries buy more of everything.
Try 'per capita' . Ireland... a nation of ugly drunks.

Brendan behan, Shane McGowan, even our football pundits and politicians stand out from the European norm.

Which Irish politicians look like drunks ? Loads of them.

Last edited:

Politics matters

There was a time in Ireland when it was around the same price to buy alcohol in an off-licence as it was to sit in a pub.

I would to see this happen again.

The prices to drop in the pub and go up in the off-licence.

The best place for people to be drinking is in the pubs.
The best way to curtail alcohol consumption without penalizing sensible drinkers is by banning the advertisement of alcohol.

The Field Marshal

I would like to see alcohol banned full stop in Ulster (and yes that includes Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan).

I don't think though that alcohol abuse is such a thing in the South so doing so might be to hasty a measure.
Well Prohibition in the USA led directly to the growth of the Mafia and widespread crime and racketeering.
It had to be repealed.

Are you one of these harridans?

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
Big countries buy more of everything.
Try 'per capita' . Ireland... a nation of ugly drunks.

Brendan behan, Shane McGowan, even our football pundits and politicians stand out from the European norm.

Which Irish politicians look like drunks ? Loads of them.
we re tyying with Luxemburg population 579000

Last edited:

Round tower

Hard to see it as anything other than a sop to the pub trade who have been campaigning for such a move.
Ask u a question,
u a customer can go into a Off-licence and buy 24 cans of Heineken for 24 euros,
I am a publican who go into the wholesalers buy 24 cans of Heineken for selling in the pub, cost me 27 euros, before i sell any of the heineken i have to put VAT and excise duties on the Heineken brining it up to what 33/34 euroes

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies