Should Ireland introduce an electoral threshold?

Breanainn

Many European countries have such a measure in their electoral systems to ensure political parties must attain quantifiable support levels in order to gain representation - Spain setting the bar at 3%, while in Germany, 5% is the benchmark. There are also differences in terms of the geographic scope is applied, with some countries applying the threshold on a national basis, while others set it for constituencies. Critics might suggest such a reform would unduly favour larger parties, but an electoral list system could negate such an impact - i.e. a slate of independents could run nationwide, with placings determining exactly how many are elected, and similarly, smaller parties could join forces for electoral convenience, such as the Greens and Social Democrats, or Renua and AontĂș.

Buchaill Dana

No. While there is merit to a slate system, if I vote for an independent I am doing so for local reasons and don't expect to get a Healy-Rae.

Dame_Enda

No certainly not. Look at the good Independents like Mick Wallace have done particularly regarding exposing the penalty points scandal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies