• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

ringobrodgar

Preamble:

Polls for Scottish independence have stood at 54% for the last two months we have a realistic chance of winning this time round.

In talks that Scots Gov has held with the EU its been made clear that without a section 30 order from UK Gov they won't consider a referendum legitimate and would refuse our re-entry to EU

Current UK position is to refuse if after the next Scottish election they still refuse the only way around that would be to get a United Nations supervised referendum That would be legitimate in the EUs eyes

That, of course, would require a country on our behalf to make the proposal on the UN floor

All peoples have the right to self-determination; by virtue of that right, they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development. UN 1514

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
That's an interesting idea and something that could be murmured should we encounter any further difficulties with Westminster but it probably would be quite nuclear diplomatically speaking.

Which is what makes the idea an interesting one.

Dame_Enda

While I sympathise, and support Scottish independence, I am not sure it would make sense to introduce the issue at the UNSC where the UK has a veto. Both parties in the US seem opposed too. Rememeber Obama's criticisms of the idea in 2014. The nukes in Scotland would be a big factor, and the SNP's determination to remove them,

ringobrodgar

That's an interesting idea and something that could be murmured should we encounter any further difficulties with Westminster but it probably would be quite nuclear diplomatically speaking.

Sort of thing Ireland would love lets remember your still in the EU they are NOT and they are led by a hapless git with two crabs in his hands

rainmaker

Administrator

The UK is a member of the permanent security council with power of veto.

The UN will not get involved in domestic internal politics the same as they did not get involved in NI even at the height of the troubles.

ringobrodgar

The UK is a member of the permanent security council with power of veto.

The UN will not get involved in domestic internal politics the same as they did not get involved in NI even at the height of the troubles.
wont go to the security council gets voted on the floor nothing UK could do

rainmaker

Administrator
wont go to the security council gets voted on the floor nothing UK could do
And the UN cannot carry out an action on anything a member of the permanent security council vetoes, wherever it is proposed. That is simply a fact.

Other than that all it can do is make pronouncements on things.

I assume you researched all this before you wrote the OP?

ringobrodgar

And the UN cannot carry out an action on anything a member of the permanent security council vetoes, wherever it is proposed. That is simply a fact.

Other than that all it can do is make pronouncements on things.

I assume you researched all this before you wrote the OP?

rainmaker

Administrator
With all due respect a letter to the Guardian letters page does not change the fact that the UN cannot force the UK to do anything on this matter.

If whoever authored this letter was right & the UN could simply bypass the permanent security council with a vote, there would have been no Iraq war.

The UN will not interfere in UK affairs the same as they were unable to interfere in them even at the height of the troubles.

It's a silly suggestion with only a letter to a newspaper for support - never happening.

Glenshane4

The government and people of Eire should keep out of the internal politics of the UK - and of all other States.

shiel

The government and people of Eire should keep out of the internal politics of the UK - and of all other States.
I would not be too happy if this democratic republic and former colony were to interfere in another country's internal affairs.

After all we spent seven and a half centuries complaining when they were interfering in our affairs.

Sync

There's a lot of bad ideas around the UN and around Ireland's place in the world and around Scottish Independence and the Union. This is certainly in the top 10% of bad unworkable impossible ideas though.

McTell

Preamble:

//

All peoples have the right to self-determination; by virtue of that right, they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development. UN 1514

You could go ahead set up your own parliament like we did and get on with it.

If we sponsor a new country to join the EU, that will be subbed by the EU from day 1, remind me what's in it for us?

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
It would have the automatic benefit of pissing off Unionists in Northern Ireland although we may have to lay back on that sort of fun for diplomatic reasons.

ringobrodgar

It would have the automatic benefit of pissing off Unionists in Northern Ireland although we may have to lay back on that sort of fun for diplomatic reasons.
I think I have honestly overstepped on this one I concede the UK could veto the resolution after further study but it would turn it into an international pariah state which noone would do trade deals with. Boris is a coward he wouldn't have the courage to order a veto.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
I think the SNP have time on their side and the longer they can allow Johnson to crash around in this area the more advantageous it will be to Scottish independence.

ringobrodgar

You could go ahead set up your own parliament like we did and get on with it.

If we sponsor a new country to join the EU, that will be subbed by the EU from day 1, remind me what's in it for us?
We would contribute to Irish overseas military missions. I would like Scotland to operate a force of light fighters so we can contribute to the baltic air police mission and Ireland airspace. Finally, the sovereignty of Ireland would not be a doormat for the English and Russians to wipe their feet on. So that is what benefit you might gain

ringobrodgar

While I sympathise, and support Scottish independence, I am not sure it would make sense to introduce the issue at the UNSC where the UK has a veto. Both parties in the US seem opposed too. Rememeber Obama's criticisms of the idea in 2014. The nukes in Scotland would be a big factor, and the SNP's determination to remove them,
I concede I overstepped on this one but it would need the UK to veto it which would make them a pariah and Boris is a coward he wouldn't have the courage to order it

Lord Talbot

No, ROI should not attempt to interfere in the domestic politics of its neighbour.

What a monumentally stupid idea.

rainmaker

Administrator
I think I have honestly overstepped on this one I concede the UK could veto the resolution after further study but it would turn it into an international pariah state which noone would do trade deals with. Boris is a coward he wouldn't have the courage to order a veto.
No one is turning the UK, a leading member of NATO & major global economy into a pariah state on behalf of the SNP.

I have to be honest, I am wondering if you're simply trolling at this point.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom