Should Ireland Veto A Brexit Deal If It Means A Hard Border?

Dame_Enda

Under Article 50, EU membership ceases - deal or no deal - after 2 years since the Article 50 process begins - unless the member states agree unanimously to extend the deadline. So we couldnt block Brexit itself.

TheWolf

Henry94.

Or we could insist on a hard border and implement it rigouruosly and let the north experience the full consequences of DUP policy.

shiel

Coverage of Irish affairs in the London Express today.

Says it all.

'Stop interfering!' Furious Irish MP hits out at meddling EU over debt row
AN IRISH politician has hit out at the European Union in an ongoing row about debt repayments.

PBP voter

hollandia

Under Article 50, EU membership ceases - deal or no deal - after 2 years since the Article 50 process begins - unless the member states agree unanimously to extend the deadline. So we couldnt block Brexit itself.
That's not what the op is driving at.

Tribal

The beauty of the threat of a Spanish and Irish veto is that it's the UK that has to make the concessions in order to get approved for any deal, it's the UK who has to acquiesce to terms that all the EU 27 find acceptable.

If the UK goes hard brexit then that increases the probability of a border poll.

Analyzer

forest

Simon Coveney was on RTE yesterday about vetoing an agreement unless agreement on NI is found

I dont understand how this is helpful. The UK is leaving the EU regardless of agreement or not surely any agreement is better than no agreement so if Ireland veto the UK falls out on to WTO rules on day 1

PBP voter

Ireland has no veto on the Brexit talks.

Only on a trade deal.

hollandia

Simon Coveney was on RTE yesterday about vetoing an agreement unless agreement on NI is found

I dont understand how this is helpful. The UK is leaving the EU regardless of agreement or not surely any agreement is better than no agreement so if Ireland veto the UK falls out on to WTO rules on day 1
Well, no deal is better than a bad deal, according to theresa may, so she should be just fine with that.

GDPR

Or we could insist on a hard border and implement it rigouruosly and let the north experience the full consequences of DUP policy.
I understood the DUP wanted a soft border, but are you thinking about other DUP policy?

ivnryn

I thought all 27 EU countries have to agree with any deal, so isn't that a veto?
Ireland has a veto on a deal. It doesn't have a veto on "no deal". If even 1 EU country refuses to cooperate, then on the 29th March 2019, the UK simply leaves. It reverts to counting as a generic non-EU country.

PBP voter

I thought all 27 EU countries have to agree with any deal, so isn't that a veto?

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-veto-brexit-deal/
Long story short:

Claim: Individual EU countries could veto a deal on the UK leaving the EU.

Conclusion:Individual countries can’t veto a treaty governing the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, but could veto a treaty establishing Britain’s new relationship with the EU.

New relationship=trade deal.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies