Should juries get paid for their time?

McTell

Twitter
No
Some while back I was "called" for jury service, and went out of curiousity. Lots of hanging around, and managed to slip away by telling a clerk during a lunch break that I was, er, slipping away like. She made a note of it, bingo, I'm outta here.

But it hit me that all serious crim cases need a jury, the jurors are hanging round taking a day off work, or more, and yet they don't get paid a penny and never have. Yet so much depends on them.

I'd say 100/day per juror for starters. The rest of the "players" are raking in hundreds or thousands a day for being there and - if it suits their careers better - postponing or adjourning.

HarshBuzz

Some while back I was "called" for jury service, and went out of curiousity. Lots of hanging around, and managed to slip away by telling a clerk during a lunch break that I was, er, slipping away like. She made a note of it, bingo, I'm outta here.

But it hit me that all serious crim cases need a jury, the jurors are hanging round taking a day off work, or more, and yet they don't get paid a penny and never have. Yet so much depends on them.

I'd say 100/day per juror for starters. The rest of the "players" are raking in hundreds or thousands a day for being there and - if it suits their careers better - postponing or adjourning.
Maybe a travel and meal allowance, I don't think jurors should be paid directly though - it's a civic duty.

enuffisenuff

If you're self employed and aren't in a position to turn down work then you should get paid...

Fr Peter McWhinger

We should abandon the Jury trial for Bench Trials.

Having observed many juries over the years I would never wish to be judged by a Jury. They tend to be favourable to good looking people and detrimental to those who are less attractive.

Juries are essentially popularity contests.

tsarbomb

They get paid by their employer if they need to take time off work.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Having observed many juries over the years I would never wish to be judged by a Jury. They tend to be favourable to good looking people and detrimental to those who are less attractive.

I support the retention of the jury system, on that basis (but can see why you don't)

McTell

Twitter
No
Maybe a travel and meal allowance, I don't think jurors should be paid directly though - it's a civic duty.

Defo they should get a travel / meal allowances. I wouldn't mind the "civic duty", if the others in court weren't taking away thousands a day. Your duty is vital, but not nearly as vital as theirs.

If you were chosen, you can still avoid jury service by saying "judge I have to declare a bias against people from galway / asians / truck drivers" etc

Secretly I wanted to be chosen, but then I thought what if it goes on for weeks? You have no way of knowing.

between the bridges

Yes and a bonus for convictions...

Levellers

I was called a few weeks ago. One and a half days waiting around only to be told there weren't any judges.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

What I have learned from several decades is that 'civic duty' for the 'little people'.

I have served twice on Juries and never again going so far as to fake illness on more than one occasion. I used to be self employed and could not afford to take such an indeterminate amount of time.

If the process is so important, pay people. What is more, I had to sit through some pretty horrific evidence, some of which was not shown to the public gallery and while I was OK with it, some of the younger members of the jury were pretty upset, nothing offered by way of support to them either. I also found the whole process quite dismaying as people did not want to be there and were willing to go with the balance of probabilities quite early on.

Until we are lead by people who display civic duty themselves, I wouldn't be inclined to respond to any sort of patriotic call to civic duty.

asset test

I served twice i.e. actually sat on the jury. I cannot say anything about the cases, but there was a lot of hanging around etc. We were given lunch and breaks and sent home every evening. That was more than ten years ago now.

I was called AGAIN recently but having developed a diffcult ear problem, I got my GP to certify this, and was excused. I was relieved TBH, but I felt I had done my duty anyway.

My job paid me for the time I served.

Not everyone is that fortunate, so if you are to lose money, then sure, that cohort should definitely get some recompense.

Maximus Cynicus

Yep, agree LOTS of hanging around. Got selected one day but protagonists solicitor objected because he knew I worked in the insurance industry at the time. Got picked another day and waited in the jury room for an hour while the parties agreed to settle on the steps of the court.

If there was some form of expenses/meal allowance, it would probably reduce the strokes pulled to avoid jury duty.

Reminds me of the old joke about the criminal being put forward to trial by jury. "Being tried by a jury of my PEERS?" he asked his barrister "TBH I don't hold out much hope - I mean these people aren't obviously smart enough to get outa doing jury duty"

wexfordman

Dont be so hard on yourself :)

Dedogs

************************************ hell i always thought they were apid as it is!!!! course they should be paid whatever their wages is if theyre workin and they should get the exact same expenses as a td as well!!!!

Dedogs

They get paid by their employer if they need to take time off work.
jaysus thats not fair on the employer is it if they have to pay a lad thats not there and pay another lad after to do the work????

Round tower

What I have learned from several decades is that 'civic duty' for the 'little people'.

I have served twice on Juries and never again going so far as to fake illness on more than one occasion. I used to be self employed and could not afford to take such an indeterminate amount of time.

If the process is so important, pay people. What is more, I had to sit through some pretty horrific evidence, some of which was not shown to the public gallery and while I was OK with it, some of the younger members of the jury were pretty upset, nothing offered by way of support to them either. I also found the whole process quite dismaying as people did not want to be there and were willing to go with the balance of probabilities quite early on.

Until we are lead by people who display civic duty themselves, I wouldn't be inclined to respond to any sort of patriotic call to civic duty.
A - Where the jury service is expected too last more than say 4 or 5 days their should be allowance or pay.

B - in such cases their should be professional help provided by the state free of charge

The Field Marshal

I was called a few weeks ago. One and a half days waiting around only to be told there weren't any judges.
Contact me if that happens again.

I think jurors should neither be paid or be out of pocket.

Expose the lot of them

In the UK expenses are paid and if an employer refuses to pay, the juror can claim for loss of earnings, in Ireland the employer is obliged to pay, and rightly so. However, there should be some compensation/expenses for the self-employed.

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim

borntorum

They’re smuggling computers into Mountjoy now :rolleyes:

nationalsday

What's a Bench Trial?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies