• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Should Kathleen Lynch Resign

fursey

i think that goldwater is right on. the looney left always sides with the criminal. was it joe costello called for an investigation into the death of the psyco who shot that young girl in dublin a few years ago - i think that rabbitt gave him the boot shortly after - maybe gilmore might do the same with lynch

returning officer

Here's what she said on Friday, before she reversed.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... html?r=RSS
Last night Deputy Kathleen Lynch, who represents Cork North Central, defended her decision to write the letter to the judge.

In a written statement she admitted she did not know Casey personally but that she was acquainted with his "good and decent" parents and had been asked to write the letter by them.

She said: "When his mother asked me to write a letter to this effect, I agreed. It would have been cowardly of me to refuse to do so.

"These were horrific offences, for which Trevor Casey has been found guilty and the judge has imposed what he considered to be the appropriate sentence.

"I have no issue with the court process or the sentence imposed."

MsLynch said she had long been an advocate of proper support for victims of sexual attacks
In my view there is nothing wrong with that. She has not sided with a criminal - but their family who are at risk of being shunned or victimised themselves. She has not sided against the victims. She did her job, that is make sincere representations for her constituents.

Binx

She won't resign as this is a common, yet not commonly known, practice. This incident might put T.Ds representations under more scrutiny though, which can only be a good thing

pikey

Kathleen Lynch was undoubtedly stupid in this case . The party political angle developing here is unfair . Is she the only TD to make representations on behalf of a criminal ? If not should they also resign ?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Yes, no question about it, she's a disgrace to her constituency, her party and her sex. This isn't just a case of saying "sorry" and hoping the storm will blow over. She took the side of a rapist over the side of his victims and if the woman had an ounce of morality she would stand down.

Defeated Romanticist

mollox said:
adamirer said:
Sadly the standard has been set by Killeen being both re-elected and made a Junior Minister.
She shouldn't resign - but she should take a long hard look at herself.

Ypu'd think after the Sheedy afair, TDs would be a bit more copped on
At least Kathleen Lynch personally knows the parents and seems to have made it clear in her letter that she didn't know the defendant.

Killeen, on the other hand, was churning out thousands of letters annually that he didn't even see or dictate, on behalf of people he didn't even know or meet. All done by his over-efficient office manager.

That said, Kathleen Lynch shouldn't have written any letter, particularly in such a serious case.

Time now to stop this stupid practice of TDs automatically writing letters to push petitions on behalf of constituents, which, in turn, require some civil servant to produce a reply, before binning the original TD letter.
TD then writes to constituent confirming his/her action, and duly taking credit if any good outcome ultimately for the constituent, even though that probably had nothing whatsoever to do with the TDs intervention.
It's an enormous circular industry that wastes time and money and much of it achieves nothing.

There should be new guidelines issued to TDs limiting the areas/types of intervention they may make. A sizeable cut in their stationery/postage allowances (e.g. no freepost envelopes) would be agood start.
There's a difference between knowingly interfering to a judge(ie what Lynch and Bobby Molloy did) and having someone write without your knowledge like Killeen did. Kileen's main fault was not knowing what ws going on in his office, Lynch did so unashamedly. Gilmore should create a Labour bankbench for her.

seamasdefaoite

She should lose the Party Whip until the summer recess and be barred from PLP meetings etc. until then. She made a terribly foolish mistake which tarnishes her name as an excellent public rep. and the name of the Labour Party. I'm a paid up party member and if I went on air supporting rapists and saying I was a LP member i'd more than likely get a stinker of a warning from HO and various other figures.

Whilst this may have been a mistake, an example needs to be made in the party and in the Dáil

returning officer said:
In my view there is nothing wrong with that. She has not sided with a criminal - but their family who are at risk of being shunned or victimised themselves. She has not sided against the victims. She did her job, that is make sincere representations for her constituents.
There is only one reason a letter would be sent to the judge and that is to affect sentencing, she sided with the criminal alright, how can you say she did'nt, she wrote a letter on behalf of him!!!

She did her job for a rapist, she did not do her job for the victims or the victims families, or any other victim of rape who have to see their rapist walk free or never get prosecuted!

She should resign!

pikey

Keith-M said:
Yes, no question about it, she's a disgrace to her constituency, her party and her sex. This isn't just a case of saying "sorry" and hoping the storm will blow over. She took the side of a rapist over the side of his victims and if the woman had an ounce of morality she would stand down.
But do you think she is the only TD to make representations like this ? Is it possible this has happened in manslaughter or serious assault cases ?
And if I may broaden the discussion Consider this , In Limerick Willie O Dea is legendary for " getting things for people " and his "can do " attitude . I wonder is it beyond the bounds of possibility that he may have helped a ne'er do well get a medical card or a house or whatever ? ( theres no evidence to suggest he has , but its possible,just using him as an example )

pikey said:
Keith-M said:
But do you think she is the only TD to make representations like this ? Is it possible this has happened in manslaughter or serious assault cases ?
And if I may broaden the discussion Consider this , In Limerick Willie O Dea is legendary for " getting things for people " and his "can do " attitude . I wonder is it beyond the bounds of possibility that he may have helped a ne'er do well get a medical card or a house or whatever ? ( theres no evidence to suggest he has , but its possible,just using him as an example )
Why are you going off on a tangent? Stay on topic!

Anyone who did what she has done should resign!

returning officer

It was not sent to the judge. That is a lie. It formed part of the submissions of defence counsel (who clearly had little to say by way of mitigation).
She wrote on behalf of the family of a rapist (read the statement above - she did not know the accused nor comment on him). That is entirely different, from what I have read the judge commented on it not because it was improper but because it was irrelevant.

The family of the accused could be at risk of being victimised (how are Wayne O'Donoghues's family treated?) - she wrote on their behalf. Perhaps a letter to the paper might have been a better forum to make that point, but there is nothing inheretely improper in a TD making representations on behalf of innocent constituents ie the family.

I think I am wasting my breath.

returning officer

The mob have spoken. Burn, Burn, Burn, the Lynch.

Catalpa

She should not resign but she shoud steer clear of this kind of thing in future.

Perhaps making letters from TDs public in Court would make some of our public representitives more wary of writing them in the first place?

constitutionus

if i was pushed into having decide on this i'd fall on the "resign" side. and i'd include EVERY other TD that got up to this stuff in the past or is now. my main reason would be the legislature should have noting to do with the judiciary and this is too close to that.

nothing personal or political against the woman but if i had to make a decision on this thats it.

geraghd

No, she shouldnt have to resign over this. It was a pretty silly error, but one that is understandable considering she knew the parents in questions, however alarm bells should have rung in her head, when she was reading the file on the conviction and realised she shouldnt have intervened and taken a side in this case.

What shoud be done with her with respect to the party whip and labour, is up to them really, but yes doesn't send out a good message, although to be fair she has apologised unreservedly..

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
You don't accidentally write a letter, you accidentally slip on a banana skin

This isn't a case for "Whoopsie silly me, pen slipped sorry about that"

I would suggest that if Kathleen Lynch wishes to remain a TD she ought engage in some meaningful penance, something that takes proves the moral courage which she was lacking in earlier : perhaps start campaigning against clientilism ?

cYp

geraghd

Keith-M said:
:|

...She is a disgrace to all human kind!!!...

Limerick Lad

I think Kathleen Lynch has made a grievous error in judgement and find it alarming that she and other TDs have not learned lessons from the public outcry that has occurred before when similar incidents were exposed.
Should she resign as a TD? No, she sent her letter through the defendant's legal team, which is how character references no matter how ill judged are normally placed before the court.

Interestingly, on RTE News a barrister said that a judge is required to take in family background and circumstances into account when considering sentencing which I find to be extraordinary.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies