• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should Matt Baggott step down from his post ?

Northtipp

In light of what can onlybe described as shambolic policing by the PSNI, should Matt Baggott as its chief step down from his role. The last 5 weeks we have continuously observed the PSNI largely adopt a policy of observation of rioting for the most part. In extraordinary episodes of rioting, intimidation and harrassment , very few of those involved have been arrested and brought before the courts.

In a normal society this would not be acceptable. For example, in the London and Uk riots police took a role , correctly IMO, of tackling and stopping criminal damage and harassment. That doesn't appear to be happening in Belfast and Carrickfergus etc. Matt Baggott promised a tough line with rioters but we appear to be getting anything but. . PSNI 'will deal firmly' with protest violence - RTÉ News

So if the boss fails to deliver not on his promises but on the very core of his role in policing shouldn't he step aside and allow someone to do the job correctly. Isn't it time for a new head of the PSNI

PeacefulViking

How independent is the Chief Constable? Can the FM/dFM give instructions to go softly?

Northtipp

How independent is the Chief Constable? Can the FM/dFM give instructions to go softly?
Not directly but politics is politics. The situation has this afternoon taken a turn for the worse. He must get a grip or go.

PeacefulViking

In the article linked in the OP Baggott says "violence" will be dealt with firmly. What about non-violent but illegal blocking of roads and so on? Surely that was be dealt with firmly as well.

Gurdiev

Blocking the public highway is completey illegal, and highly likely to lead to violence. It should not be countenanced or tolerated under any circumstances.

Aristodemus

I think the authorities are taking a softly softly approach hoping these protests will fizzle out. Whilst that might not be acceptable to a lot of people it is probably the least worst option at the moment. That said I think you will see a firmer approach if the protests continue and the "unionist forum" fails to do something positive over the next few days Listening to some of the spokespersons associated with these protests they seem to be emboldened by the official response. The reality is that the protests are not gathering momentum and its just the "usual suspects" engaged in the violence.

eskrimador

I'm astonished at the lack of calls for him to go. The man has shown no leadership at all

C

Castle Ray

I'm astonished at the lack of calls for him to go. The man has shown no leadership at all
What about David Ford? He's in charge of DoJ. The whole Executive are culpable too if Baggott is at fault and nothing is done surely?

between the bridges

police have stood back from and contained riots for several years and relied on video evidence, basically they reckon the old snatch squads and baton charges inflame rather than disperse... anyway how many were calling for baggott to go after the same policy was used at the ardoyne riots?

Northtipp

See Barney Rowen has tweeted this a while ago

@BrianPJRowan: There is no policing answer to this. Leaders need to lead - all leaders/all sides and before it's too late.

C

Castle Ray

See Barney Rowen has tweeted this a while ago

@BrianPJRowan: There is no policing answer to this. Leaders need to lead - all leaders/all sides and before it's too late.
That view appears to be the prevailing one and has been for some time whether it is in east Belfast or Ardoyne. It's all about containment, arrests after, dialogue and government funding. I see little in what Baggott has done that warrants removal from his post.

Northtipp

That view appears to be the prevailing one and has been for some time whether it is in east Belfast or Ardoyne. It's all about containment, arrests after, dialogue and government funding. I see little in what Baggott has done that warrants removal from his post.
Not quite. There are pictures in another thread of dissident protestors physically removed from the Ardoyne road area by the PSNI. . That IMO is what needs to happen to any protestors now blocking roads. This unbalanced policing is simply griss to the mill of dissident republcans and I can tell you i for ne have no way of defending this one. The police response is inadequate , unbalanced and IMO now fuelling the situation. If there are little or no consequences there is little or no deterrent. If Baggott cannt get his strategy right he should resign.

between the bridges

Not quite. There are pictures in another thread of dissident protestors physically removed from the Ardoyne road area by the PSNI. . That IMO is what needs to happen to any protestors now blocking roads. This unbalanced policing is simply griss to the mill of dissident republcans and I can tell you i for ne have no way of defending this one. The police response is inadequate , unbalanced and IMO now fuelling the situation. If there are little or no consequences there is little or no deterrent. If Baggott cannt get his strategy right he should resign.
why/how do you think it is unbalanced?

Northtipp

why/how do you think it is unbalanced?
Quite simple really. The protestors at Ardoyne were removed from the road for blocking it. Fair enough. For five weeks multitudes of unionists have blocked road after road after road and not removed but simply observed. I Watched 6 kids block the Blacks Road in Belfast watched by the PSNI. A main route from the motorway in and out of West Belfast. Not a hand lifted. Not a thing done. Not a protestor removed from the road. Hardly balanced!

ItsEvolution

In london the students where 'kettled' the summer riots of 2011 where vastly larger than what is happening now and the cops spent the following weeks raiding the homes of rioters and arresting them. Why isn't that happening here?

eoghanacht

Quite simple really. The protestors at Ardoyne were removed from the road for blocking it. Fair enough. For five weeks multitudes of unionists have blocked road after road after road and not removed but simply observed. I Watched 6 kids block the Blacks Road in Belfast watched by the PSNI. A main route from the motorway in and out of West Belfast. Not a hand lifted. Not a thing done. Not a protestor removed from the road. Hardly balanced!

FFS NT what do you want?

Look it's only a few years ago that they watched a mob kick a taig to death. Ye have to give them a little slack these changes don't happen over night.

Tommythesash

Chief Baggott is the only senior policeman in the history of law enforcement in northern Ireland that hasn't caved in to unionist violence or the threat thereof. Far from asking him to resign he should be given a medal. Baggott is obviously cut for m the same cloth as former police chief, John Stalker.

Tommythesash

Chief Baggott is the only senior policeman in the history of law enforcement in northern Ireland that hasn't caved in to unionist violence or the threat thereof. Far from asking him to resign he should be given a medal. Baggott is obviously cut from the same cloth as former police chief, John Stalker and is not going to be bullied.

SgtBilko

Chief Baggott is the only senior policeman in the history of law enforcement in northern Ireland that hasn't caved in to unionist violence or the threat thereof. Far from asking him to resign he should be given a medal. Baggott is obviously cut from the same cloth as former police chief, John Stalker and is not going to be bullied.
He will be gven a medal in due course. I suspect it'll be an OBE. He'll join the queue behind Marty at some stage.

gako

Why oh why, where the protesters allowed to go back to East Belfast today, via the Albert Bridge? Crazy....Who allowed this, and why?