• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should membership of Private Organisations be Public Knowledge

happytuesdays

Should we the public have a right to know the memberships of public servants?

Do we have the right to know for example if someone is a member of Amnesty, Opus Dei or the Immigration Control Platform.

Kevin Doyle

Do we have the right to know for example if someone is a member of Amnesty, Opus Dei or the Immigration Control Platform.
No.

Prester Jim

Not unless they are legislators IMO or the organisation is illegal or is an organisation that has ideals against the Irish nation or holds other nations interests over Irish ones.
Otherwise it is an intrusion into private life of private people.

ruserious

Only if they hold public office and the organisation can be seen as a conflict of interests.

artfoley56

sure, lets begin by you firing up your real name, address, membership of any organisations (make sure you include all of them, we'll decide whgats important) and the photo page from your passport

stopdoingstuff

I hope not, because I am actually in both Opus Dei and Choice Ireland. The Opus Dei thing is because I love S&M, and the Choice Ireland thing is because ladies who support abortion tend to be easier. So obviously it would be bad news if either side knew of my affiliation with the other.

Spanner Island

I hope not, because I am actually in both Opus Dei and Choice Ireland. The Opus Dei thing is because I love S&M, and the Choice Ireland thing is because ladies who support abortion tend to be easier. So obviously it would be bad news if either side knew of my affiliation with the other.
You're a sick puppy... :cool:

tokkie

Well I'm in a GAA club, if you really, really, really want to know.

tokkie

You sly fox.

HYENA

Forget memberships, the leeches turn up in black tie for free lunches, remember the fat brians and their cosy meetings with the bankers federation and what thatcost you, and of course the lack of records to reveal what was ceded by those traitors.

Nedz Newt

It's OK to ask someone if they are a member of any such group, and make whatever judgement you want then from their answer.

Btw is "Immigration Control Platform" not just one person, operating alone?

Nemesiscorporation

I would support a complete ban, without exception of any kind, regarding membership of organisations such as Opus Dei, Freemasons, IRA, Knights of Columbanus or even worse the Knights of Malta with oaths to foreign states or subversive organisations such as the Vatican, Fra Bertie, US, UK or whatever. I would include in that all prosecutors, gardai, judges, civil servants, health service workers of any kind, teachers, headmasters, school board management, etc, in effect anyone in the pay of the government, a government quango or who decides what to do with any government money wether partially or fully funded by the tax payer.

If they want to work for an organisation that demands loyalty over loyalty to the state that employs them, then that organisation can employ them and leave the irish tax payer out of it.

If you are in the pay of the Irish state, your loyalty should be first and foremost to the Irish state and the Irish people.

Anyone in the pay of the Irish state who puts the interests of that organisation before the interests of the Irish people, should be tried for treason.

Extreme I know, but it would be bloody effective in cleaning up a lot of the Irish civil service.

PS: Contrary to what most think they know about the Freemasons, they do not run the world or anything like that. Most people I know in it are there because the bar prices are cheaper than anywhere else. The beer belly's and red noses from to much beer and whiskey is a dead give away on that one. I have assisted out a Freemason with charity work they have organised on occassion. However they do take a secret oath, so I have no hesitation in including them in a list that I think civil servants should be banned from being members of.

PPS: Also I think judges, politicians and senior civil servants should be made to declare memberships of golf clubs, hobby clubs to a non public register, in the interests of disclosure, with all politicians memberships being on an open publicly accessable register. I would support non-public with independent review of those lists so as to maintain privacy. I know that is intrusive, but a judge and politician need to be help up to scrutiny in there separate jobs.

Last edited:

Sync

I'm an Elk, a Mason, a communist and I'm the president of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance.

ManInTheArena

If any organisation one is a member of demands an oath of allegiance or demands adherence to some code that could conflict with the public servant's work for the state, then yes.
I understand organisations like opus dei and most churches would fall into this category.

Nedz Newt

I would support a complete ban, without exception of any kind, regarding membership of organisations such as Opus Dei, Freemasons, IRA, Knights of Columbanus or even worse the Knights of Malta with oaths to foreign states or subversive organisations such as the Vatican, Fra Bertie, US, UK or whatever. I would include in that all prosecutors, gardai, judges, civil servants, health service workers of any kind, teachers, headmasters, school board management, etc, in effect anyone in the pay of the government, a government quango or who decides what to do with any government money wether partially or fully funded by the tax payer.

If they want to work for an organisation that demands loyalty over loyalty to the state that employs them, then that organisation can employ them and leave the irish tax payer out of it.
That's quite a list!

All I could think of while reading it was Hedley Lamarr in Blazing Saddles.....

I Want Rustlers, Cutthroats, Murderers, Bounty Hunter and Methodists! Sound Clip and Quote - Hark

Nemesiscorporation

That's quite a list!

All I could think of while reading it was Hedley Lamarr in Blazing Saddles.....

I Want Rustlers, Cutthroats, Murderers, Bounty Hunter and Methodists! Sound Clip and Quote - Hark
I am serious in what I said and stand by it.

Also Blazing saddles is a brilliant film. Just picked up the re-release on bluray. Still funny as hell.

PS: If I was up for a civil service post or cushy quango post, I would declare all my memberships, which are all hobby clubs of various kinds. None are secretive organisation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies