Should nats vote SDLP or Alliance in the coming UK general election?

galteeman

Seeing as SF are abstaining from the UK parliament shouldn't NI nationalists vote for SDLP or Alliance depending on who is likely to get elected?
At least their MPs might have some influence on the direction of Brexit in the event of another hung parliament.

Marcella

Two back to back hung parliaments would be a very unlikely event. Regardless though my conscience would not permit me to vote for any person willing or capable of swearing an oath of loyalty before God to the Queen of England. SF’s abstention policy is something I hold in high regard.

death or glory

Two back to back hung parliaments would be a very unlikely event. Regardless though my conscience would not permit me to vote for any person willing or capable of swearing an oath of loyalty before God to the Queen of England. SF’s abstention policy is something I hold in high regard.
Asking people to vote for a party who don't themselves use their vote is highly hypocritical.
But what can you expect?

galteeman

Yeah but the sentence 'according to the law' could mean you are only doing it because its the law, not because you mean it and if you don't believe in God it means nothing anyway!
I... swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.
According to wiki
The European Court of Human Rights ruled in 1999 that the oath of allegiance to a reigning monarch is "reasonably viewed as an affirmation of loyalty to the constitutional principles which support... the workings of representative democracy in the respondent State

Marcella

Yeah but the sentence 'according to the law' could mean you are only doing it because its the law, not because you mean it and if you don't believe in God it means nothing anyway!

According to wiki
A lot of Irish politicians from O’Connell onwards have sworn the oath and not meant it. That’s not my point. I don’t care how sincere one is when they utter those words.

raetsel

Whether they should or not, they won't. That's an absolute certainty. There's little point in discussing something that will never happen.

Leinsterview

Seeing as SF are abstaining from the UK parliament shouldn't NI nationalists vote for SDLP or Alliance depending on who is likely to get elected?
At least their MPs might have some influence on the direction of Brexit in the event of another hung parliament.
This is a no-brainer: the SDLP -- who, after all, are actually a nationalist party.

galteeman

Whether they should or not, they won't. That's an absolute certainty. There's little point in discussing something that will never happen.
Are you sure that all SF voters feel that way?

galteeman

This is a no-brainer: the SDLP -- who, after all, are actually a nationalist party.
Are there any constituencies where the nationalists could vote for an Alliance candidate to unseat the DUP?

Marcella

Should the SDLP stand aside in north Belfast then SF have a chance of unseating Dodds. Likewise the SDLP could unseat Pengelly in South Belfast if SF stood aside.

SF offered this to the SDLP last time round but they rejected it and instead facilitated the election of 2 DUP MPs.

Let’s see if they’ve learned any lessons. I won’t hold my breath.

neiphin

Should the SDLP stand aside in north Belfast then SF have a chance of unseating Dodds. Likewise the SDLP could unseat Pengelly in South Belfast if SF stood aside.

SF offered this to the SDLP last time round but they rejected it and instead facilitated the election of 2 DUP MPs.

Let’s see if they’ve learned any lessons. I won’t hold my breath.
Don’t forget SLDP have cost nationalism a seat in Fermanagh.s.tyrone on many occasions

galteeman

raetsel

death or glory

Of course not, but many do. I generally vote SDLP or Alliance myself but switched to Gildernew of SF last time because of Brexit. The SDLP who I'd normally vote for had no chance, but it was imperative that Elliott, a UUP pro Leave MP, be removed from office, and his margin of victory was ultra thin.

Your bigotry on show yet again.
Voting for an absentee terrorist party just to keep a Unionist who would actually use his vote out.
A sneaky regarder.

raetsel

To add to post 13, I'm not saying it wouldn't be desirable and in our best interests to have representation at Westminster on the Brexit issue. What I am saying is that anyone who knows the voter profile here knows instinctively there is no chance of a mass shift of voters from SF in the way you have outlined, so it is a pointless conversation.

raetsel

Your bigotry on show yet again.
Voting for an absentee terrorist party just to keep a Unionist who would actually use his vote out.
A sneaky regarder.
I voted tactically on one hugely important issue last time i.e. to remove a pro Brexit MP from Westminster - nothing else. I'd never voted SF before.
I have voted for Alliance in the past. That is something you can never say, because you vote along sectarian lines every single time. That is what bigoted self confessed Orangemen like you do.
My vote was determined last time by a largely non sectarian issue. Lot's of unionists supported Remain, and still do. NOw fvck off with your dishonest interpretation of my motivations.

devonish

Don’t forget SLDP have cost nationalism a seat in Fermanagh.s.tyrone on many occasions
People choose who to vote for, that's their right. If someone chooses to vote SDLP rather than vote to elect a SF rep then there is a reasonable chance that without an SDLP candidate such voters will not bother voting at all or will vote for a party other than SF. I'm totally against political parties making pacts to try and engineer a particular outcome, let the electorate choose if they want to vote tactically or not.

Se0samh

People choose who to vote for, that's their right. If someone chooses to vote SDLP rather than vote to elect a SF rep then there is a reasonable chance that without an SDLP candidate such voters will not bother voting at all or will vote for a party other than SF. I'm totally against political parties making pacts to try and engineer a particular outcome, let the electorate choose if they want to vote tactically or not.
Seems normal practice amongst unionist parties...but then unionism has always been an undemocratic creed since its inception...apart from when it was a forcefully engineered "majority", lip service was then paid to the concept...

Last edited:

EnglishObserver

Something that's being missed here. If The SDLP form pacts with SF then they can kiss goodby to unionist transfers in the future. I've no idea how significant this is, but it certainly happens.

Personally I think The SDLP, party of Fitt and Devlin, have long memories of the sort of abuse and violence they received of Republicans in those dark old days gone by and this effects their thinking.

EnglishObserver

Seems normal practice amongst unionist parties...but then unionism has always been an undemocratic creed since its inception...apart from when it was a forcefully engineered "majority", lip service was then paid to the concept...
Go on then Se thrill me. Explain how unionism was an undemocratic creed...

New Threads

Most Replies