Should nats vote SDLP or Alliance in the coming UK general election?

Paddyc

Can you "explain" why they are linked then?
There’s no great mystery to this, but then it is DOG we are talking about so maybe he meant ‘inexplicably’ after all.
Both organizations spring from the same root. This is not new. Throughout the troubles many people, but not all, held dual membership but even then, there were IRA members who wouldn’t vote SF in a month of Sundays.
Since the ceasefire and the disbandment of the IRA, bar allegedly, the Army Council, then IRA members and supporters were encouraged to use solely peaceful means to further their political aims. That many would choose to do so through the party that most closely represented their views can’t be a huge surprise to anyone paying attention.

death or glory

There’s no great mystery to this, but then it is DOG we are talking about so maybe he meant ‘inexplicably’ after all.
Both organizations spring from the same root. This is not new. Throughout the troubles many people, but not all, held dual membership but even then, there were IRA members who wouldn’t vote SF in a month of Sundays.
Since the ceasefire and the disbandment of the IRA, bar allegedly, the Army Council, then IRA members and supporters were encouraged to use solely peaceful means to further their political aims. That many would choose to do so through the party that most closely represented their views can’t be a huge surprise to anyone paying attention.
Got as far as bar the army council.
Hilarious.
Jock Davison ring any bells?

Paddyc

Got as far as bar the army council.
Hilarious.
Jock Davison ring any bells?
Has anyone been charged with his murder and with membership of the IRA?
Come back to me when they have.
In the meantime, how many Loyalists have been convicted of murdering Loyalists since their ceasefire?
Good job that doesn’t embarrass their buddies in the DUP.

Mickeymac

In the meantime, how many Loyalists have been convicted of murdering Loyalists since their ceasefire?

Last link on here about that confirmed 130 but could be as high as 200.

death or glory

No one was charged for "bloody sunday" for 40 years and youse never stopped yapping about it so you have some cheek to bring that up as some kind of basis.

Paddyc

No one was charged for "bloody sunday" for 40 years and youse never stopped yapping about it so you have some cheek to bring that up as some kind of basis.
There you go with the false equivalence again.
Were the Bloody Sunday killings carried out in plain sight and denied, delayed and obstructed for decades by a national security state apparatus until all the important people were dead?

One of these things is not like the other.

death or glory

There you go with the false equivalence again.
Were the Bloody Sunday killings carried out in plain sight and denied, delayed and obstructed for decades by a national security state apparatus until all the important people were dead?

One of these things is not like the other.
Exactly,
Bloody Sunday was lawful British security forces there to uphold law and order, being shot at by IRA terrorists aided by hoodlums throwing nail bombs, petrol bombs and bricks and they overeacted.
But if you play with fire, you are bound to get burned some time.

Talk Back

Exactly,
Bloody Sunday was lawful British security forces there to uphold law and order, being shot at by IRA terrorists aided by hoodlums throwing nail bombs, petrol bombs and bricks and they overeacted.
Just so you know, Ireland is our country - the British army in Ireland is a foreign army of occupation- always was- always will be.

England and its army of occupation are the real terrorists in Ireland - always were - always will be - until you foreigners are vanquished from Ireland.

Paddyc

Exactly,
Lies disproven time and again.
But if it comforts you who am I to remove your safety blanket?

death or glory

Lies disproven time and again.
But if it comforts you who am I to remove your safety blanket?
What lies did I tell
Even you know it was true.

Itsalaugh

Itsalaugh

It won't happen, many nationalists in the OSC vote SF precisely because they are abstentionists. Without this choice many simply would not vote.
Close on half the SF vote in South Armagh switched to Mallon in the mid 80s when it was obvious only he could unseat Nicholson of UUP who wasnt exactly a hatefigure in the Paisley/McCrea mould.

gako

Catholic Natiinalists/Republicans can vote for neither SDLP or Sinn Fein.
If they do, they have no right to call themselves Catholics.
They intend to make the troubles deaths, look like a picnic, given the murders to take place via abortion in the North.
Anyone associated with or voting SDLP or Sinn Fein should desist in calling themselves Catholic... or enter a Chaple at anytime. No more hypocrisy in attending Funerals, Weddings or Baptisms.
They are partaking in the murder of children, and in doing such for Catholics, out their mortal soul in peril.
Anyone promoting abortion should be refused the sacraments......

Itsalaugh

No they weren't you dribbling fool. For someone who claims to support the UUP, you know less about them than I do. The UUP allowed their members freedom of choice. Some members supported Remain some supported Leave. That's not neutral, It's called allowing a free vote. As it happens, Tom Elliott said a week before the 2016 referendum that he would probably vote to leave, and after the referendum said he would support the move to leave the EU unequivocally, in line with .
I voted for SF for the first time ever after that in the 2017 General Election. I'd rather have voted for another pro Remain party who'd take their seats, but realistically the only candidate who could win was Gildernew, and the seat is always won on a slim majority. I voted SF on the basis that half a loaf was better than no bread.
I don't think in religious terms the way you do. You will never find me demonising the Protestant community with contempt on this forum the way you do to the Catholic populace.
Since the GE I've voted for a Protestant in the European Parliament election - Naomi Long.
When you can credibly claim to have given a Catholic candidate in an election here your first preference, vote let me know. I'll not hold my breath.
Bobby and Owen werent SF in 81. Sensitive question for you but your an interesting poster. Hopefully no reply stating you were livng in another constituency.

raetsel

Did you vote for Bobby Sands and Owen Carron in 81?
As I have said on this forum previously I lived in Derry City back then, but I was a committed SDLP supporter like a considerable majority of nationalists in the city back then. I strongly disagreed with the Provos (not least because they nearly murdered me a few years previously with one of their car bombs) so it is highly unlikely that I would have, had I lived in FST. The Sands campaign was emotionally highly charged, and I genuinely didn't want to see him, or any of the other hunger strikers die, so that may have been an influence, who knows? But I strongly disagreed with the Provos. I couldn't in conscience support them after they piled outrage on top of outrage with Claudy, Bloody Friday, the Abercorn bomb, La Mon to name but a few of the horrors that preceded 1981.

Itsalaugh

As I have said on this forum previously I lived in Derry City back then, but I was a committed SDLP supporter like a considerable majority of nationalists in the city back then. I strongly disagreed with the Provos (not least because they nearly murdered me a few years previously with one of their car bombs) so it is highly unlikely that I would have, had I lived in FST. The Sands campaign was emotionally highly charged, and I genuinely didn't want to see him, or any of the other hunger strikers die, so that may have been an influence, who knows? But I strongly disagreed with the Provos. I couldn't in conscience support them after they piled outrage on top of outrage with Claudy, Bloody Friday, the Abercorn bomb, La Mon to name but a few of the horrors that preceded 1981.
I'm a Dub with Tyrone family all of whom would have sympathised with the IRA. My feeling and bourne with SF eclipsing the SDLP and very much with Sands is that nationalists generally did have some sympathy for the armed struggle but didnt fully embrace it because they viewed it - correctly - as futile, impossible to emulate Collins/Dev/Dillon. Given your extreme distaste of armed strugge I'm can't fully appreciate why would wish to join the South forged by a ruthless gunman such as Collins.

Your masters in Westminister I now believe let their spooks and sociopath Sandhurst patriots used the North as a rarified training ground. Bloody expendable paddies and this power was exhilerating, addictive and credit to Major and Blair for removing them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies