Should NI fishing boats have access to RoI waters?

O

Oscurito

There are plans afoot for fishing boats from Northern Ireland to be allowed fish up to six nautical miles of the Republic of Ireland’s coast. The intention is to amend the Sea Fisheries Act to permit this.

The Journal is running a poll on this and I must confess to being more than a little dismayed at the partitionist mindset on display. Surely, it would be a gesture of goodwill that would send a positive message to folks in Northern Ireland that a United Ireland would be a warm and welcoming house for them?

Poll: Should Northern Ireland boats be allowed to fish off the Republic of Ireland's coasts?

Ireniall

There are plans afoot for fishing boats from Northern Ireland to be allowed fish up to six nautical miles of the Republic of Ireland’s coast. The intention is to amend the Sea Fisheries Act to permit this.

The Journal is running a poll on this and I must confess to being more than a little dismayed at the partitionist mindset on display. Surely, it would be a gesture of goodwill that would send a positive message to folks in Northern Ireland that a United Ireland would be a warm and welcoming house for them?

Poll: Should Northern Ireland boats be allowed to fish off the Republic of Ireland's coasts?
So long as they fly the tricolour:p

McSlaggart

Sorry but I am from Tyrone and I do not see why UK fishing boats should be allowed to fish in Irish waters any more than any other EU country.

O

Oscurito

Sorry but I am from Tyrone and I do not see why UK fishing boats should be allowed to fish in Irish waters any more than any other EU country.
I regard NI as a special case, not to be treated in the same way as England, Scotland or Wales.

Supra

How would a midlander like yerself know about it?

Truth.ie

What's your definition of the Irish Nation?

Because most of them are Irish passport holders.
They are Irish citizens fishing in Irish waters, and have done long BEFORE the EU,
We've reached the point of EU insanity now when fishermen from Co. Derry or Down can't fish off the Irish coast, but Portuguese and Spanish fishermen in huge trawlers can.

The best solution to prevent this nonsense and to prevent a hard border is Irexit.

darkhorse

What do we get in return?

gleeful

UK registered boats will have no access to Irish waters unless there is a UK-EU deal on the subject. It wont be Dublin's decision to make.

O

Oscurito

What's your definition of the Irish Nation?

Because most of them are Irish passport holders.
They are Irish citizens fishing in Irish waters, and have done long BEFORE the EU,
We've reached the point of EU insanity now when fishermen from Co. Derry or Down can't fish off the Irish coast, but Portuguese and Spanish fishermen in huge trawlers can.

The best solution to prevent this nonsense and to prevent a hard border is Irexit.
My only problem is with the last line. An Irexit would make us more dependent on the UK.

gleeful

My only problem is with the last line. An Irexit would make us more dependent on the UK.
Irexit would be bonkers. Our biggest market by far is the EU. Second is the UK. Irexit would cut us off from both.

O

Oscurito

What do we get in return?
The devil's in the detail. We already get stuff but we're not returning as it stands.

“In light of the Supreme Court judgment, fishing by Northern Ireland vessels in the territorial waters of the State under the Voisinage arrangements is not permitted by law.

However, Irish-registered fishing boats continue to be provided with access to fish in coastal waters around Northern Ireland under the arrangements.​

Why is the government arguing to let UK boats fish off Ireland's coasts?

Truth.ie

Would you be confident that following 'Irexit' the Free State would enforce sovereignty on its waters or would they sell them off to foreign finance, as they did with natural resources.

Actually the resources were not even sold they were gifted.
They are currently gifting Irish territorial waters and fishing right to the EU.
If Ireland left the EU they could put a fee on countries fishing in our waters or alternatively use it as a chip in negotiations with other countries.

Congalltee

UK registered boats will have no access to Irish waters unless there is a UK-EU deal on the subject. It wont be Dublin's decision to make.
Please elaborate on how the big bad EU can veto what happens 6 miles off our coast.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies