Should Northern Ireland be re-partitioned?

Clanrickard

Of all Clan's entirely irrelevant posts, this is the most entirely irrelevant yet.
Neither of you are the brightest I know but I'll make it easy. The Commission was set up because both governments knew that the border needed to be set so that as many nationalists were in the south and as many unionists as could be in the North so a large minority would not be present in either jurisdiction to avoid conflict. Exactly what did happen seen as the commission never finished its work. It should be revisited.

statsman

Neither of you are the brightest I know but I'll make it easy. The Commission was set up because both governments knew that the border needed to be set so that as many nationalists were in the south and as many unionists as could be in the North so a large minority would not be present in either jurisdiction to avoid conflict. Exactly what did happen seen as the commission never finished its work. It should be revisited.
There will be no political will to do so. None. Not in Dublin and not in London.

Clanrickard

There will be no political will to do so. None. Not in Dublin and not in London.
Oh there would be if it meant the Brits getting shot of NI and us getting a chunk of it back.

statsman

Oh there would be if it meant the Brits getting shot of NI and us getting a chunk of it back.
Both governments would want an 'all or nothing' solution, and that mechanism already exists.

JCR

I would really prefer if the United Ireland and United Kingdom stuff was just suddenly dropped for good by the ROI and London. No more claims of jurisdiction shared or otherwise, no more seats in the commons for the North, bye, adios, thats it.

IF the ROI also did this and the North was supposed to actually take responsibility for itself as an independent state I under they would cop on? Probably not, but at least they could only mess up their own governance and politics. Let the IMF run the place. It would happen in a matter of weeks. Its all the place deserves.

Clanrickard

Both governments would want an 'all or nothing' solution, and that mechanism already exists.
And as the OP has pointed out it is failing

Civic_critic2

If you want war and to maintain a potential British military invasion via a bridgehead in Ireland then you may support repartition. If you want an end to this nightmare though...

Paddyc

Six out of twenty MLAs elected in Belfast identify as 'Unionist'. Where would the capital of a repartitioned NI be?

Put it another way, ignoring the Alliance and Green parties, Nationalist parties secured 75,891 votes in the four Belfast constituencies while Unionist parties secured 67,538 in the recent Westminster elections.

Belfast might not be a Nationalist city, but it's certainly not a Unionist one.

Last edited:

Clanrickard

Not much point tinkering around the edges now - a few more years the GFA will take care of it - we could call it the Boundary Commission if you like :lol:
It won't. The GFA is steadily failing.

Niall996

And there was me thinking that the Loyal Sons of Ulster were the Rangers' fan club in bowler hats ...
The Loyal Sons of Ulster are part of a wider sinister National Front in London, KKK in Mississippi and Extremist Scottish Lowlands Presbyterian global alliance. They have nothing to do with the Scottish Highlander traditions (i.e. kilts, bagpipes, whiskey, gaelic, tartan, Jacobite rebellians, humour, Wallace, Bruce and so on). Thems would be our celtic cousins.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom