• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should Northern Ireland MP's be given Dáil speaking rights?

ger12

Should Northern MP's be given Dáil speaking rights?

Cavan-Monaghan TD Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin this afternoon said speaking rights on the floor of the Dáil was recommended by an all party Oireachtas committee as far back as 2003. MP's have to date only been given access to the Oireachtas Committee on the Good Friday Agreement. Former Belfast Lord Mayor Niall O Donnghaile, now a senator, argued it would make more sense than calls from Irish parties, including Fine Gael, for Sinn Fein to give up abstentionism.

Should the Dáíl doors be opened up to those elected in Ulster, bearing in mind that when the Dáíl first sat in 1919 it do so with members elected from the 32 counties?

These Sinn Féin MPs were at Leinster House today to demand speaking time
Sinn Fein calls for MPs' speaking rights in the Dail - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/45014

Breanainn

Cavan-Monaghan TD Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin this afternoon said speaking rights on the floor of the Dáil was recommended by an all party Oireachtas committee as far back as 2003. MP's have to date only been given access to the Oireachtas Committee on the Good Friday Agreement. Former Belfast Lord Mayor Niall O Donnghaile, now a senator, argued it would make more sense than calls from Irish parties, including Fine Gael, for Sinn Fein to give up abstentionism.

Should the Dáíl doors be opened up to those elected in Ulster, bearing in mind that when the Dáíl first sat in 1919 it do so with members elected from the 32 counties?

Except that in 1919, partition had yet to be formalised. Best approach to accommodating the views of Northerners would be for all parties to appoint NI politicians to the Seanad - SF have Niall O'Donghaile, and FF had Edmond Haughey in the past.

TheWolf

Time for some popcorn.
The anti-SF lunatics are usually finishing their mashed up dindins in the asylum around this time!

Last edited:

the secretary

How's about trying to get the speaking rights of all elected assembly members to stormont up and running first.

The_SR

I have no problem at all with them having an input. But not sure if the dail chamber is the place for it. Would all Irish committee's on matters of relevance be a more productive structure?

Tough Paddy

An utterly hair brained idea. Such a proposal would then also have to be extended to other party's in the north, the SDLP, the Alliance Party, DUP, etc. And for what exactly? For what would it achieve exactly apart from acting as a propaganda tool for some of the aforementioned political party's.

I have not heard SF make much play of such an idea in the very recent past and today is nothing more than a convenient sideshow by SF from which the OP has been very much taken in by. A conventient distraction from the impotence of Sinn Fein's westminister absenstionist policy particularly in light of the effects of Brexit on the people of the North.

JimmyFoley

Pious nonsense, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were granted.

The thoughts of Joe Brolly types coming down here to lecture us on how to run this state...

Tough Paddy

The thoughts of Joe Brolly types coming down here to lecture us on how to run this state...��
It's not meant to be overly serious. Just a convenient sideshow and distraction from the current impotent position SF find themelves in vis-a-vis that of the DUP, Westminister abstentionism and Brexit.

TheWolf

The thoughts of Joe Brolly types coming down here to lecture us on how to run this state...��
The last 10 years has well and truly shown that FFG haven't one single clue as to how a state should be ran.

ger12

It's not meant to be overly serious. Just a convenient sideshow and distraction from the current impotent position SF find themelves in vis-a-vis that of the DUP, Westminister abstentionism and Brexit.
Would you take an oath of allegiance to the Queen of England TP?

TheWolf

He's a blueshirt....of course he would.
Them lads would like nothing better.
Remember Sir John of Brutal nearly wetting himself licking up the lizzy?

Cruimh

An attack on the Peace Process ......

The shinners are attention seeking again ....

TheWolf

An attack on the Peace Process ......

The shinners are attention seeking again ....
It's not SF's peace process, it's everyones.
Mind you, with the Mayhem in cahoots with Snarlene.........

Tough Paddy

1. I am from the Republic of Ireland, why would I be taking an oath of allegience to the queen of a jurisdiction totally different to mine?

2. I never said SF up North should swear an oath of allegience to the queen. That is entirely up to them. I am merely pointing out the impotent position that SF find themsleves in vis-a-vis the recent UK general election results and their Westminister abstentionism policy particularly in the context of the DUP and Brexit.

3. Today's murmurings by Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin and SF are nothing more than a conveneint distraction from the impotent position SF in the North find themsleves in. Only a fool would fail to see that.

Ps - the fact that Gerry Adams or Mary Lou McDonald were not out championing such a view today and instead it was left to Ó Caoláin tells you the little serousness that SF actually take such a proposal. A proposal that only aims at obfuscation. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Fullforward

An utterly hair brained idea. Such a proposal would then also have to be extended to other party's in the north, the SDLP, the Alliance Party, DUP, etc. And for what exactly? For what would it achieve exactly apart from acting as a propaganda tool for some of the aforementioned political party's.

I have not heard SF make much play of such an idea in the very recent past and today is nothing more than a convenient sideshow by SF from which the OP has been very much taken in by. A conventient distraction from the impotence of Sinn Fein's westminister absenstionist policy particularly in light of the effects of Brexit on the people of the North.
No, read the topic again, it says MP's.

cricket

Another shinner sideshow now that the border poll is yesterday's news.
Let them get on with the northern assembly and do some work for a change.

Fullforward

1. I am from the Republic of Ireland, why would I be taking an oath of allegience to the Queen of a jurisdiction totally different jurisdiction to mine>

2. I never said SF up North should swear an oath of allegience to the Queen. That is entirely up to them. I am merley pointing out the impotent position that SF find themsleves in vis-a-vis the recent UK general election election results and their Westminister abstentionism policy and in the context of the DUP and Brexit.

3. Today's murmurings by Caoimhghín ó Caoláin are nothing more than a conveneint distraction from the impotent position SF in the North find themsleves in. Only a fool would fail to see that.

You could say that if this issue had not been raised in the last few decades, but it has.

Gordon Wilson was appointed to the Seanad

Maria Cahill was appointed to the Seanad

NO Politics at play there.

Fullforward

Another shinner sideshow now that the border poll is yesterday's news.
Let them get on with the northern assembly and do some work for a change.
What percentage in the polls do Labour have to sink to before they close down the circus?

ticketyboo

Time for some popcorn.
The anti-SF lunatics are usually finishing their mashed up dindins in the asylum around this time!
Countdown...all kinds of quaint folks supporting Manchester United and Chelsea, watching Coronation St and reading the Sun and the Star will be up to tell us that Adams and co. are British.....

between the bridges

Shin flakes looking to double the average industry expense account....