• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should secularists boycott Trocaire?

theObserver@hotmail.com

William Oddie writing in the Catholic Herald urges roman catholics to boycott red nose day because "though they may do some good work, [they] also support what are to Catholics morally objectionable actions and beliefs". So what are these objectionable actions and beliefs? Oddie gives us an example : The African Women’s Development fund (AWDF) which is committed to “Freedom of choice and autonomy regarding bodily integrity issues, including reproductive rights, abortion, sexual identity and sexual orientation”.

Oddie concludes his article with :
The simple fact is that, in John Smeaton’s words, “there is only one response to Red Nose Day. Abortion hurts women and kills unborn children and Red Nose Day funds organisations which promote it. Boycott it.”
Although stupid, the article does (accidentally) raise an interesting point : If charitable donations are used to fund objectionable practices, why donate? Should a roman catholic donate to the red nose day campaign when they can instead donate to a catholic charity like Trocaire? Why should non roman catholics donate to Trocaire when Trocaire very explicitly promotes catholic policies among starving overpopulated communities? That means little to no sex education, no contraceptives and absolutely no abortion.

Just to explain: Around this time of year, it's common to see Trocaire boxes perched on Irish kitchen tables or living room mantelpieces. My parents house has one and my workplace has one.

The deal is this : to celebrate the fully-divine-yet-somehow-fully-a-man Jesus pottering around a desert for 40 days and 40 nights Christians undergo a period called Lent consisting of self-denial and fasting. Even some secularists see this cultural habit as an opportunity to practice self-denial and rid themselves of a vice or two and 'detox' for 40 days. The money saved goes into the Trocaire box and handed into the local church at the end of lent and the money is used by the Trocaire charity to make a world a better place.

Only there's a catch.

Trocaire is first and foremost a Roman Catholic organization. They proudly declare the fact on their web page :
Trócaire is the official overseas development agency of the Catholic Church in Ireland. It was set up by the Irish Catholic Bishops in 1973 to express the concern of the Irish Church for the suffering of the world's poorest and most oppressed people.

Trócaire’s partnership approach makes us different. We work through global Catholic networks and with local partners on the ground. When we help people, we work with them, so that they drive the entire process themselves. Solutions are not imposed on the people we help. Instead, they become the authors of their own destiny.
I am deeply suspicious of catholic charity organizations. Yes, they alleviate some suffering but roman catholic aid centers morph into churches, catholic schools, catholic hospitals, catholic dominated councils and very quickly the state is colonized by the catholic church. Christian charity was always a means of evangelizing by tossing table scraps to the poor while doing little to improve their long term situation. Trocaire commits, to use the words of Oddie, "morally objectionable actions and beliefs" through their refusal to provide birth control and by their promotion of catholicism.

The Trocaire box may be an iconic feature for Irish households but why support a roman catholic organization instead of a secular charity willing to put the welfare of the impoverished over dogma and identity politics? Should secularists boycott Trocaire and instead support a non-religious charity?

Links :
Red Nose Day gives millions to those who support abortion: Catholics should boycott it | CatholicHerald.co.uk
Trócaire | Irish Charity Working for a Just World

Druidess

The Trocaire box may be an iconic feature for Irish households but why support a roman catholic organization instead of a secular charity willing to put the welfare of the impoverished over dogma and identity politics? Should secularists boycott Trocaire and instead support a non-religious charity?
I think its important to take a broad view of what the organisation in question is doing, not just focussing on issues such as reproduction and contraception.

Religious organisations can do a lot of good in impoverished countries, I say that as a secularist. The issues of abortion and contraception are decided by people themselves and in Africa they don't tend to listen to the church about these matters as much as the Irish did at one point.

Druidess

Didn't the pope (before he spoke of retirement) say that condoms are ok....?

Ramon Mercadar

I think Trocaire does a lot of good work. I certainly wouldn't boycott them.

Dr Pat

If you don't want to give, don't. Really, what's the big deal or are you just intent on going after every Catholic organisation even those doing some good?

Ramon Mercadar

Didn't the pope (before he spoke of retirement) say that condoms are ok....?
No, no! He advised people to invest in rubber futures.

stopdoingstuff

Of course they should. It is absolutely vital to have a hobby.

EvotingMachine0197

I certainly wouldn't boycott them although I did switch a monthly direct debit from them to St. John of gods (another catholic organisation). But I try to switch it around yearly anyway or it depends on who calls to the door.

That said, I do think that preaching against male contraception kills people.

Grey Area

I have done this all my life. The Trocaire box was never allowed in my home I'm proud to say.

Kev408

That shyte has made my mind up - I'll definitely give a few bob to Trocaire ASAP.

The Field Marshal

Trocaire ceased to be an authentic catholic charity the moment they involved themselves in political and environmental agitation. This has been happening in that organisation for many years.

44percent

Trocaire ceased to be an authentic catholic charity the moment they involved themselves in political and environmental agitation. This has been happening in that organisation for many years.
Would an authentic Catholic launch an unjust war? Would he fight in such if it was a war of aggression against a neutral country Herr Feldmarchal?

The Field Marshal

In siding with the political left Trocaire has alienated mainstream Catholics who dislike seeing their contributions manipulated to suit political agendas.

ruserious

I would donate to SVP because they do excellent work, even if I am not religious. My beliefs should not deprive the needy of badly needed supplies.

The Field Marshal

I would donate to SVP because they do excellent work, even if I am not religious. My beliefs should not deprive the needy of badly needed supplies.
Off topic. ? The thread concerns Trocaire who are funding and aiding political agendas .

callas

I have boycotted trocaire in the past because of their links to the roman cult. I seem to have been mistaken. I must certainly give them a few bob , at your recomendation. I am sure Trocaire will benefit from your advertising their good work.

The Field Marshal

I have boycotted trocaire in the past because of their links to the roman cult. I seem to have been mistaken. I must certainly give them a few bob , at your recomendation. I am sure Trocaire will benefit from your advertising their good work.
Allow me to enlighten you. Trocaire are directed by the Irish cult of blind aid to every Tom Dic and Harry provided they all shout loudly " we are being oppressed and our rights to a free lunch impeded" by all means support the cults that support the political whinging left under the cloak of religion if hypocrisy turns you on