Should Sinn Fein Campaign For Irish Speaking Quotas In the Civil Service?

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior

RodShaft

Oh so you explain why most people in Ireland don't speak Irish as:

But you are not calling them West Brits.

Why don't you speak Irish?

Tá cosc air ar an príomh bórd. Ach, tá fhios agat faoi sin.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Tá cosc air ar an príomh bórd. Ach, tá fhios agat faoi sin.
Níl a thuilleadh. Níor lean an athrú sin ach ar feadh roinnt míosa.

RodShaft

DJP

Website
Twitter
Cool. Ní raibh fhios agam faoi seo.
I initially thought when I posted my last post that you were referring to the posts from the Gaeilge forum not coming up on the main page as was the case on this site for a few months several years ago. If you are referring to posting as Gaeilge on the rest of the site: then I haven't heard that that policy has changed. I don't understand why you would want to post as Gaeilge across the site if you were not posting in the Gaeilge forum. For the record I don't have a problem with that policy of not being allowed post as Gaeilge outside the Gaeilge forum. Some posters were tedious in posting rubbish as Gaeilge when we were able to.

diy01

Because they don’t need to, not ever. It is basically dead much as you don’t want it to be so. One of my brothers went to an Irish speaking secondary school and I’ve never heard him speak a word of Irish since and not even with other lads that went there with him. My husbands first language was Irish, that ended when he was four years old and went to primary school, in the Gaeltacht. Two of his older siblings can still speak a bit, but none of their children can. And one of them was a school principal.

His cousin, a teacher, has to send emails in Irish to her school principal, she objects to this, despite telling us she’s pro Irish.

Now you explain all of that to me!
You have a poor understanding of sociolinguistics and what are often referred to as “lesser-used” languages. Irish only seems dead to some people (usually monolingual Anglophones) when compared with English. Irish is actually more widely spoken than most living languages worldwide right now. There are more than 6,000 of them.

Irish meets every single criterion of a living language.

Ex celt

You have a poor understanding of sociolinguistics and what are often referred to as “lesser-used” languages. Irish only seems dead to some people (usually monolingual Anglophones) when compared with English. Irish is actually more widely spoken than most living languages worldwide right now. There are more than 6,000 of them.

Irish meets every single criterion of a living language.
Whit dae ye mean Oirish? We aa taak inglish aboot here.

cropbeye

I worked in the civil service for twenty years. I'd say for aprox; every 4000 sheets of
paper that crossed my desk one was completed in Irish.

RodShaft

I initially thought when I posted my last post that you were referring to the posts from the Gaeilge forum not coming up on the main page as was the case on this site for a few months several years ago. If you are referring to posting as Gaeilge on the rest of the site: then I haven't heard that that policy has changed. I don't understand why you would want to post as Gaeilge across the site if you were not posting in the Gaeilge forum. For the record I don't have a problem with that policy of not being allowed post as Gaeilge outside the Gaeilge forum. Some posters were tedious in posting rubbish as Gaeilge when we were able to.
I have no intetest in contributing to the ghettoisation of Irish on a dodgy chat site founded by Irish language hating neoliberal PD types.

Mick Mac

valamhic

In the republic, civil servants must have Irish competencies, so must Gardai and other state employees

stakerwallace

I worked in the civil service for twenty years. I'd say for aprox; every 4000 sheets of
paper that crossed my desk one was completed in Irish.
I worked in the public service and my aspect of that job involved quite a deal of Irish.

New Threads

Most Replies