Should social welfare benefits be taxable?

Gemlarkin

We are in a situation in which many people are now better off unemployed on welfare than if they were unemployed, especially when you take rent allowance, mortgage supplement, medical card, school transport, third level grants, and carers allowance into account

It is incredible that persons on welfare can be better off than people in paid work.

Carers allowance is payable at half rate on top of other social welfare benefits

Bridget558

Its an interesting idea, i thought this time last year that they might put the income levy on welfare

niropiro

Absolutely! Not only should they be paying tax.
Anyone on social welfare should be made to go sweep up the leaves or collect the plastic bags out of the ditches or scrape up the dog poo.
Give them something to do instead of bumming off taxpayers.
If you have a college qualification and you are living roysh with Mammy and Daddy and signing on every week instead of working and paying back the taxes spent on educating you or if you are a celtic jersey wearing scumbag who spends his dole on Dutch Gold, you can both go and clean the streets as far as I can see.

Samell

There should be a maximum that any household can get, making life on the dole less attractive. Just cover basic necessities, food, health and house, no extras like fags, booze and NTL

Social Conscience

The simple answer is Yes but the complexity around doing such could be negated by the costs involved in say placing a certain ceiling upon which taxes must be paid.

What a sad state of affairs this country has landed us in when I’d say the majority of posters might agree with this thread.

A valid counter agrument is needed here and I for one cannot offer such.

kerdasi amaq

As long as the government gives an increase in Social Welfare allowances, equal to the proposed tax to be collected, I'm all for it.

X+Y-Y = X

iartaoiseach

Absolutely! Not only should they be paying tax.
Anyone on social welfare should be made to go sweep up the leaves or collect the plastic bags out of the ditches or scrape up the dog poo.
Give them something to do instead of bumming off taxpayers.
If you have a college qualification and you are living roysh with Mammy and Daddy and signing on every week instead of working and paying back the taxes spent on educating you or if you are a celtic jersey wearing scumbag who spends his dole on Dutch Gold, you can both go and clean the streets as far as I can see.
Yeah because obviously the only people on SW are the celtic jersey wearing dutch gold drinkers and the bums living with mater and pater. you don't think they might have paid their PRSI? or that unemployed people might be actually looking for work? It must be mighty fine looking through your gold plated telescope from your ivory tower.

hammer

Social welfare IS taxable.

So is the old age pension.

It is aggregated to your other income if you have any !!!

ie 6 months working. 6 months social welfare
Ur tax liability calculated on total income for the year :)

Ludo1973

Why would you want the govt taking tax from money they give out? Isn't that just a waste and creating work for more PS workers who would be needed to run it?
Why not just cut the amount paid to begin with and job done. Not necessarily saying I am on favour of cutting it but if you are gonna tax it then just cut out the unnecessary middle man.

kerdasi amaq

The whole concept is ridiculous.

What you're proposing is, that the government give with one hand and take with the other. Nonsense.

niropiro

Yeah because obviously the only people on SW are the celtic jersey wearing dutch gold drinkers and the bums living with mater and pater. you don't think they might have paid their PRSI? or that unemployed people might be actually looking for work? It must be mighty fine looking through your gold plated telescope from your ivory tower.
If they can't find work that's their problem.
Giving people handouts for nothing creates dependency.:mad:
If they get sick and tired of cleaning the streets for their dole they can make work for themselves.
They need the necessary motivation.
They shouldn't have the option of whinging like you and should get off their backside and get on with it.

berberie

The simple answer is Yes but the complexity around doing such could be negated by the costs involved in say placing a certain ceiling upon which taxes must be paid.

What a sad state of affairs this country has landed us in when I’d say the majority of posters might agree with this thread.

A valid counter agrument is needed here and I for one cannot offer such.
A valid argument might be that the poster who suggested sweeping up leaves for 3rd level graduates to recompense the country for their 3rd level education might just stop and realise for a moment that graduates quite often have student loans to pay off as they get themselves into debt to finish their education and for most at the moment unemployment is not a choice, it's a certainty given the state of this country. I am sorry but look how many applications there are for each job out there whether it is top end or bottom of the market and then ask yourself if people really want to live on SW. I will agree that a small % appear to be happy living their lives this way, but don't blame the rest for not being able to find employment in a country where the government and banks ruined their present/future prospects.

As for just providing for housing/food/health and no extras...... well the little that will be given then will still (within certain families) be spent on alcohol and tobacco again depriving the children of these families and as we have seen it's not like the government will ensure their welfare!!

berberie

If they can't find work that's their problem.
Giving people handouts for nothing creates dependency.:mad:
If they get sick and tired of cleaning the streets for their dole they can make work for themselves.
They need the necessary motivation.
They shouldn't have the option of whinging like you and should get off their backside and get on with it.
No, if they can't find work it's the governments problem because they helped to cause this mess. And as the person you quoted said, the majority of people on SW at the moment have paid their taxes and PPS for this very reason!

Goodbody

I assume the Commies here would like to emulate whatever Sweden does, and Sweden taxes Social Welfare Payments.

Personally, I think everyone needs to be able to make a connection between their paying taxes and what those taxes are used for. You'd see a lot more anger about private jets and fat tart hairdo's.

bonkers

there really are a lot of right wing nut jobs on this site.the gob************************e from la with his commies comment is incredible. the other niporio was he around in the 40s with his jackboots.

patslatt

What about the jobs of social welfare officials? !!

We are in a situation in which many people are now better off unemployed on welfare than if they were unemployed, especially when you take rent allowance, mortgage supplement, medical card, school transport, third level grants, and carers allowance into account

It is incredible that persons on welfare can be better off than people in paid work.

Carers allowance is payable at half rate on top of other social welfare benefits
Social welfare officials have a vested interest in welfare dependency up to a point to keep their jobs.

There is a risk that a huge underclass of long term welfare dependants will emerge in the next decade,which would be a social disaster. Welfare must not be more attractive than work in modestly paid jobs of €10 an hour or about €330 a week

Popular Threads

Most Replies