Should Tallaght be given City status??

Fallen_Angel

There's nearly 103,000 people living in Tallaght and its environs according to the 2006 census.

Should Tallaght be given city status ? :D

Does it have everything that a city like Dublin, Cork, Limeric, Galway, Waterford has ?

ballot stuffer

Vinegarhill said:
Only if they promise to build a wall around it and put the locks on the outside...
Why would you do a thing like that?

Fallen_Angel

Well this thread wasn't very important i suppose.

Are there no Tallaght people willing to stand up for their to"town/city/suburb" :lol:

seabhac siulach

It couldn't be a city, it has no centre...just mile upon mile of grey housing estates (a Dublin version of Limerick!!). And, no, the Square shopping centre does not constitute a centre...

FG Councillor

Website
www.alanfarrell.ie
I am open to correction but I don't think city status is conferred on an area, it just happens dependent on its size.

Given the fact that Tallaght is a suburb of Dublin, its hard to know. Why would you want city status anyway?

fergalr

Cities require a certain number of services and amenities and, in the UK at least, I think they still require a charter. We still have our, what? Six cities from Norman/English/British times? Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Galway, Kilkenny and Dublin.

Seems sufficient for a small country. Also, "edge cities" such as Tallaght don't become cities of their own, if America is any judge.

drbob1972

to what point / benefit ?

dsmythy

Does Tallaght have it's own town council or something similar? If not then making it a city might have some positive effects.

drjimryan

positive affect?.....................

maybe a big bulldozer would suffice............

altho, a state funeral and a new name for de houps ground would possibly be the most positive thing which could happen to tala.......

ghost

drjimryan said:
positive affect?.....................

maybe a big bulldozer would suffice............

altho, a state funeral and a new name for de houps ground would possibly be the most positive thing which could happen to tala.......
Cheers drjim, thats a really useful and helpful observation - demonstrates immense intelligence on your part am humbled by your intellect :roll:

CookieMonster

It's spelled "shitty"

Earnest

fergalr said:
Cities require a certain number of services and amenities and, in the UK at least, I think they still require a charter. We still have our, what? Six cities from Norman/English/British times? Limerick, Cork, Waterford, Galway, Kilkenny and Dublin.

Seems sufficient for a small country. Also, "edge cities" such as Tallaght don't become cities of their own, if America is any judge.
As far as local government is concerned, there are five cities, of which Galway was only recently raised to that status. Kilkenny is not a city administratively speaking, the centre part of the Borough is called a city but that's just like other places being called townlands, it's of no interest except in title-deeds.

fergalr

Tell that to people from Kilkenny!!

R Paul

Earnest said:
fergalr said:

As far as local government is concerned, there are five cities, of which Galway was only recently raised to that status.
Not true, Galway has had city status since 1484.

sickpuppy

tallaght does have a town center and its not the square, its east of it where the priory is, look at a map !
CAnt believe that i, a meath man is definding tallaght!

R Paul

Fallen_Angel said:
There's nearly 103,000 people living in Tallaght and its environs according to the 2006 census.

Should Tallaght be given city status ? :D
Probably yes. We could probably learn from the US here - there as I understand it, it is up to the people in an area to vote to "incorporate" as a city, not - as here - for some civil servants to decide for the people whether they will be granted the privilege. Mind you, that also raises an interesting question - namely, what does that mean in practise? It is one thing to say "We are a city", but that is only meaningful if it means that the area then provides (mandatory) services to its citizens (e.g. a city has public parks, paths, street lighting etc. etc.).

Celbridger

Yes Tallaght should definitely have City status, but seeing as Celbridge can't even get Town status with a growing population of 20,000 plus, then there is no chance in hell of Tallaght becoming a City under the present shower.

pikey

I think it would be pointless and detrimental to the development of the general Dublin City area .
The only people to benefit would be Tallaght City corporation . Just say no!
Theres to many freeloading gombeen councils already in existence .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies