• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should the Budget be moved until after Christmas?

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Some rep from the world of retail was talking about this on the radio today. He made the point that a Budget in the run up to Christmas is bad timing, and that in the UK it's a short time into the new year. I guess no time is a good time for a Budget, but can understand why pre-Christmas is particularly troublesome for many. He said that the Minister has had representations about this and has said they would be considered.

ruserious

You mean ruin the January sales with VAT increases :shock2:

D

Deleted member 17573

Some rep from the world of retail was talking about this on the radio today. He made the point that a Budget in the run up to Christmas is bad timing, and that in the UK it's a short time into the new year. I guess no time is a good time for a Budget, but can understand why pre-Christmas is particularly troublesome for many. He said that the Minister has had representations about this and has said they would be considered.
Can see your point - but with the amount of kite flying we get these days the people are more scared in the lead-up to the budget than they are after it. It could result in depressed seasonal retail activity.

laidback

Surely not practical? The tax year is the calendar year and tax changes have to be reflected in tax certificates for the new year.

With the budget in early Dec its possible to get the new certs issued in time for the new tax year starting 1.1.2013.

If the budget is in early 2013 then in Jan 2013 workers will be taxed using 2012 certificates then they will get in effect hit for back tax when the actual 2013 certificates are issued.

of course if there are no increases in tax rates, reductions in tax bands or tax credits or increases USC or new charges with fancy names not using the word tax then it won't matter. But I don't think this will be the case!

hammer

It does need to be moved all the same

I would bring back self employed returns to September 15th from November 15th and I would have the Budget second week in October.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Can't really see any practical reason for such a thing to happen.
I guess the practical thing, for the retail sector, is pre-Christmas sales, and the impact of belt tightening measures and how they affect consumer spending. That's why they want it changed. Yes, the Budget will happen at some stage, but to announce it weeks before the biggest spend of the year...I can see why the retail sector would want it at another time.

Spanner Island

Budgets should be in the spring when at least people have longer days to look forward to even if the weather doesn't deliver...

As for the current just before Christmas budget boll*cks... probably the worst time of the year for budgets...

Davidoff

This whole thing of having our entire national fiscal policy determined on a single afternoon seems like a relic from a different era.

We just end up with months of cynical kite-flying and no real debate. Any time a minister is asked a direct question he just has to say 'that's a matter for the budget' and the discussion is shut down.

hammer

Budgets should be in the spring when at least people have longer days to look forward to even if the weather doesn't deliver...

As for the current just before Christmas budget boll*cks... probably the worst time of the year for budgets...
Maybe its a cunning plan to stop people going overboard at Xmas :)

No need to take on additional debt.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies